Cozumel, Mexico - Mayan Tulum Temple

I see an 8-hour visit via RCL is available. Visit a Myan site and then do some shoping on their 5th Avenue shopping experience. I also see there is a beach under the Temple. Has anyone taken this tour/visit? Would you recommend it? I am especially interested in the swim if I find I would like to take a break from walking around.

Thanks!:)

I did this tour. Wear a bathing suit under your clothing and bring a towel, there are no changing facilities or rest rooms near the beach. It is a nice tour, interesting, but the shopping experience is lame (implying 5th Ave is laughable, unless they are talking 5th Ave in Fort Pierce). By the way, the lunch is a box with a small tin of tuna, a packet of Miracle Whip, some crackers and a fruit cup. Definitely nothing edible or even remotely filling. You don't get it until the end of the tour as you start back to town. You can't just leave the group to head to the beach, when you get pretty much to the end of the tour you get about 15-20 minutes to splash around, or you can browse the souvenir shop if you don't want to swim.

I actually loved the tour, it was extremely interesting. If you enjoy history, anthropology, archeology, etc., take it. But if you want a little history and mostly a beach and/or shopping day, it's a long way to go when you can get that right in Cozumel.

Two other things to share--be sure to take insect repellent if you go to Tulum. Off Wipes work well. The mosquitos are terrible. Also be aware that the ride to and from is over an hour each way. They make a quick stop at a tacky souvenir shop on the way as there is no restroom in the bus if I am recalling correctly.

Thanks. I need to find something else to do when we pull into Cozumel. We have never been to Mexico.

You should check out this forum for current information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

The excursion you are asking about could have changed in the over ten years since ducklite took it.

3 years ago RCI had a Tulum and beach full day excursion.

First we spent some time at the Mayan ruins in Tulum, then the bus took us to a nearby beach for some Mexican buffet and beach time. It is one of the nicest beaches I have ever been to.

It was a lot of transport time so maybe we spent one and a half hour at the ruins and less than two hours on the beach.

I don't know if RCI still have this excursion.

/Erik

I recommend Nachi Cocum or Mr Sanchos for a first timer. I really like the Money Bar if you want to snorkel. They rent equipment there. If you have time on the way back, you can do some shopping at or near the port before getting back on ship. We've been to Cozumel several times, so we're thinking about renting a car and exploring. I've never found the need for an excursion in coz.

I did this tour. Wear a bathing suit under your clothing and bring a towel, there are no changing facilities or rest rooms near the beach. It is a nice tour, interesting, but the shopping experience is lame (implying 5th Ave is laughable, unless they are talking 5th Ave in Fort Pierce). By the way, the lunch is a box with a small tin of tuna, a packet of Miracle Whip, some crackers and a fruit cup. Definitely nothing edible or even remotely filling. You don't get it until the end of the tour as you start back to town. You can't just leave the group to head to the beach, when you get pretty much to the end of the tour you get about 15-20 minutes to splash around, or you can browse the souvenir shop if you don't want to swim.

Beautiful Fort Pierce!are you from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by mark22mac

Beautiful Fort Pierce!are you from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fort Pierce is not beautiful. It's nasty. I live about two hours from there and quit my last job because they added Fort Pierce to the territory I had to manage and I felt so unsafe in that area that I said no way and gave my notice.

Fort Pierce is not beautiful. It's nasty. I live about two hours from there and quit my last job because they added Fort Pierce to the territory I had to manage and I felt so unsafe in that area that I said no way and gave my notice.

NO NEED to be so harsh.

3 years ago RCI had a Tulum and beach full day excursion.

First we spent some time at the Mayan ruins in Tulum, then the bus took us to a nearby beach for some Mexican buffet and beach time. It is one of the nicest beaches I have ever been to.

It was a lot of transport time so maybe we spent one and a half hour at the ruins and less than two hours on the beach.

I don't know if RCI still have this excursion.

/Erik

Also did this tour with my Daughter & Son In Law. Was less then 2 yrs ago. Definitely worth it!

Two other things to share--be sure to take insect repellent if you go to Tulum. Off Wipes work well. The mosquitos are terrible. Also be aware that the ride to and from is over an hour each way. They make a quick stop at a tacky souvenir shop on the way as there is no restroom in the bus if I am recalling correctly.

Just to elaborate. We did this tour with RCI and they stated that there is a ferry ride and expressed people who might tend towards motionsickness to be aware of that. They should have said 'BARF ROCKET'. People were getting ill minutes after leaving the dock. They know this as they have garbage can's up and down the aisle and the ferry employees immediately start handing out bags for everyone.

Needless to say, we will never do any more excursions that require that ferry.

On a positive note, consider Chankanaab Park and do the Royal Swim with Dolphins. Book with them and it's a smaller group of folks, less expensive and a longer swim than through RCI.

Erika

We did the Island Jeep Tour & loved it.

Trip Advisor can give you all the reviews and contact info you need.

We learned a ton about the culture, stopped at a Tequila plant (yes, samples), went to a chocolate factory, stopped at a beautiful beach, and had lunch at a open air restaurant right on the water.

As long as someone in your party can drive a standard transmission Jeep, you are good to go and will really enjoy the day.