Help me plan our port days

jen3188

I would love some advise on what we should do in each port. My husband and I are cruising on the Dream in Nov, stopping in Mahogany Bay, Belize, & Cozumel. We would like to be able to just wander around, shop and explore the local culture in at least one of the ports, maybe go zip lining or something active at one and maybe do some snorkeling, just not sure where to do what. We're not really into just hanging out on the beach all day, I think after 2 days at sea, lounging in the sun, we will be ready for something active. I've read tons of reviews, but just can't make a decision. Is Belize safe to wander by yourself or should we book an excursion there? Is the zip lining better in Belize or Roatan? Where's the best snorkeling for beginners? Too many decisions!! Help please :)

I would love some advise on what we should do in each port. My husband and I are cruising on the Dream in Nov, stopping in Mahogany Bay, Belize, & Cozumel. We would like to be able to just wander around, shop and explore the local culture in at least one of the ports, maybe go zip lining or something active at one and maybe do some snorkeling, just not sure where to do what. We're not really into just hanging out on the beach all day, I think after 2 days at sea, lounging in the sun, we will be ready for something active. I've read tons of reviews, but just can't make a decision. Is Belize safe to wander by yourself or should we book an excursion there? Is the zip lining better in Belize or Roatan? Where's the best snorkeling for beginners? Too many decisions!! Help please :)

Of your ports, Cozumel is the only one that we are also going to. I have read on here that Cozumel is a great place for snorkeling. I don't know about the other ones and if it's better at those or not.

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions. Here is my 2 cents, having been to all three.

I would Snorkel in Cozumel. It is an easy snorkel location, and if you're not wanting to spend a beach day, it is a good option for this port.

Belize is not a place I would wander around alone, at least not near the pier. Of your your three ports, it is also the one where I would be least likely to not have a planned excursion. Two things we have done in Belize and enjoyed: Lamanai Mayan Ruins by River Boat, and the other was Cave Tubing. We enjoyed both equally.

I would zip line in Mahogany Bay, or use it to "explore local culture". Roatan is not the easiest place to get around, but there are options, and the people there were very friendly.

Depending on the type of shopping you're looking to do, you will be able to do it at any of the three, but Cozumel will have the most variety of stores. Belize and Mahogany Bay both had shops and markets right at the port. Mostly tshirt, tourist stuff, and come local crafts.

Have fun.

Shopping is better at Cozumel. Belize is a better option for active excursions. Not that there aren't plenty of active excursions in Cozumel. It's just that Belize City is less ideal for walking/shopping than Cozumel. I can't help you with Mahogany Bay, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

You are going to get conflicting reports on all of these. Mahogany Bay is a man-made beach area, not good for snorkeling. But there is great snorkeling at the west side of the island. Some of the best in the Caribbean. We absolutely loved it.

Of the three places Cozumel probably had the worst snorkeling, as Belize and Roatan are located on the second largest barrier reef in the world.

You need to check the ports forums for each island and see what everyone says.

Considering your desires ...

Cozumel: Do your shopping and possibly consider going to a Mayan Ruins.

Belize: We'd not want to wander around there alone. In addition to zip lining there's also cave tubing.

Mahogany Bay: Since you don't want a beach day, you're going to need to take an excursion elsewhere where you'll find great snorkeling.

Enjoy! :)

I don't know where you went in Cozumel, but it offers world class diving and snorkeling on a magnificent reef.

I didn't say they didn't have good snorkeling. But if putting them in order for those 3 places, I would put in third. Many other places not named here would come way after Cozumel.

We've been to all 3 at least 2x each, and are doing the same next month. This time around we want to just chill so nothing major booked.

Previously in Belize we've done the cavetubing with "cavetubingrus." It was fun & easy, a mild walk through the jungle to get to the tubing site. Another time we did the Al Tun Ha Mayan ruins with a river boat ride through Carnival. There are better ruins than this one. But still it was interesting.

Previously in Cozumel we've just caught a taxi right outside the pier to the San Miguel shopping area. Lots of shopping here. In Coz we've also taken a taxi to a beach area- many to choose from. On another trip we took a bar hop tour to the other side of the island. This was a fun way to see the other side- very beautiful.

In Mahogany Bay (Isla Roatan) we've booked tours through Victor Bodden. He has private drivers for hire as well as group tours available for a lot less than the ship's excursions.

I've never snorkeled so can't help you there, but we did some tame zip lines with Victor's group tour- a good time was had by all.

Have fun, no matter what you choose.

Edited by Banditswife

I am a diver and love them all, anything underwater. The main reason we stopped using Carnival for diving is the groups are too big and amateurs and experts dive in the same environment. We dove in Bonaire (one of the best in the world) and they took us to crappy 30' reef. The dive master, with 30 ppl on board said, we have to make it easy for everybody, poo

Here's my 2 cents worth.

Cozumel: shopping and walking around town.

Belize: Cave tubing or book a snorkeling tour. The ruins are very nice also. There's a lot to do and see in Belize but if you go out of the complex by yourself, just be very alert. We have walked around there and had no problem. Lots of vendors out there wanting your money but we had no problem after saying not interested. The people there are very friendly.

Roatan: Best beaches and good snorkeling. You can hire a driver for the day through Victor Bodden at http://www.boddentours.com His drivers are very good and will take you where ever you want to go and will also offer suggestions. Victors monkeys are a lot of fun also. One of my favorites for snorkeling is Half Moon Bay. No beach here but a lovely restaurant/bar, showers, restrooms and decent priced drinks. You walk down some steps into water about knee deep and start snorkeling out to the reefs that are right there. Beautiful variety of fish, eel, octopus, lobster. The water is crystal clear. No cover charge and they do have a few loungers for sunning if you want. This is away from all the masses on the beaches. But I would get the driver to at least take you to see the beautiful beaches. Infinity Bay is also nice for snorkeling.

What ever you decide to do, I'm sure you will have a ball. All the ports are great. Hope this helps a bit.

Sandra

I like Chankanaab in Cozumel, it offers a little bit of everything and is only 10 minutes from the port. Good snorkeling, sea lion show, swim with manatees, tequila tasting, zip lining, botanical gardens. Google Chankanaab and print off a $2 coupon. There is also a map of everything the park offers on their website.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!!

Sounds like we will book a zipline/cave tubing excursion on Belize and maybe a victor Boden driver on Roatan with snorkeling, then shopping in Cozumel and maybe if we really enjoyed snorkeling the day before, we could snorkel again in Cozumel.

Cozumel... Do a culinary tour (Cozumel Chef is an AWSOME one... Google it) you get local culture and you can do some,shopping. We loved it.

Belize... Do not just "wander" there are the safety issues and you will be bugged to death by people wanting you to buy or give money etc... Do the cave tubing or any of the adventure tours

Roatan has great snorkeling and it is close to shore (Belize is spectacular too but requires a LONG boat ride) you can also do a combo (snorkel and zip line) and Victor Bodden is a super company!

Sounds like we will book a zipline/cave tubing excursion on Belize and maybe a victor Boden driver on Roatan with snorkeling, then shopping in Cozumel and maybe if we really enjoyed snorkeling the day before, we could snorkel again in Cozumel.

Can't go wrong. Have a great trip.

Butt's Up Cave Tubing is who we used - great private company, despite the name :-)

http://www.cave-tubing.com

We've been to Coz a few times and I love it. We've done the private jeep tour with cozumel cruise excursions dot net. We had a fantastic day! We've done the local shopping and hanging out near port. This next time we go we are going to Mr. Sanchos as our sons will be with us.

Belize- Only been once and hated it. People screaming at you and trying to climb the fence surrounding the port. I don't scare easily and I had the heebie jeebies from that place. ( A sharp contrast to what they show you on HGTV and the House Hunters show)

Roatan- we did a private tour and really only saw mass poverty everywhere. We saw nothing exciting and did no other excursions there. So we may not be the best folks to listen to when it comes to Roatan.

I wouldn't mind giving Roatan another chance but I detest Belize.

Cozumel is one of my favorite shopping stops, it's easy to get to since you'll dock right at a mini type mall and a taxi into town is only a few dollars. I have heard that Belize and Roatan are not safe to wander around , have been to both and used ship excursions each time. I believe Belize offers zip lining and Roatan was mainly a beach stop. Have fun.

Belize isn't as scary as some say. We went last year and walked around outside of the port area and felt perfectly safe. It was very hot compared to the other ports and there isn't a whole lot to see or do outside the cruise port area without a tour. We walked to an old church and looked around a bit and then walked to an outside restaurant and had a good meal. It was a nice day. The restaurant was on the water and had a vey tropical vibe.

If you are into snorkeling I would definitely do it in Belize. Heard lots of great things about it. Didn't personally do it as we have snorkeled several times all over the world and kinda feel snorkeled out.

Cozumel is a great place for the beach. There are several beach clubs to chose from with lots of amenities.

Roatan is very beautiful. Have fun.

Belize I would do cave tubing with butts up cave tubing they also offer ziplining...Roatan, we walked off pier and went to the taxi stand and booked a island tour, we went to the iguana farm, beach, and stopped to shop at some out of the way places and saw lots we wouldn't normally see, cozumel I would snorkel at chaukanab it's easy access to the water and lots to see in the water