Trave Insurance - Worth it?

Sam&Joe25th

yes!

Yes, it is. From what I've learned here at Cruise Critic; don't get it through Carnival. There are lots of loopholes in their product. (From what I gather). I've used www.insuremytrip.com the past 4 years and have that piece of mind. I did this because my mom with Alzheimers was still with us but not for long. I wanted the ability to be covered in case I had to get back to the city for an unplanned emergency. Mom is with dad and the angels now but, I still invest the small amount in case of my own health or hurricanes as I now cruise right after Labor Day which is ground zero for hurricane activity. Go to their website. they compare and contrast a plethora of plans from the famous insurance companies. The best thing is so far not having to use it and I hope this streak continues![/font

I so agree. It has been awhile since I have traveled out of country and i believe they and several sites are ones to talk to..and you need reminders.

The issue about needing upfront money for a surgery in Bahamas scared me, but i am sure they go over that...some will pay now and them reimburse with your health company etc. issues. You have to read fine print and then ask questions.

My parents did not need theirs on their last big trip with my niece..a cruise. But it all started the day my mother got home and she was gone in a month.

We all need to consider, even living in many areas with fairly good small hospitals; insurance when med evac is even necessary at home; and sadly sometimes repatriation of remains I believe is how it is put. My mom had 2 life flights, one in and one out of state and passed out of state.

My dad has beefed up his air ambulance coverage since hassles he had with mom for his daughters God bless him..but there are still details and snags we have to remember to ask...He is of course medicare with the extra rider plans most get and need in my book.

Somebody pays in some way without medical insurance. The system is far from perfect but my 20's are long gone..no more travel out of state without a beef-up in coverage or serious what-if calls before exit. It is a LONG road to the end. I hope..lol.

Edited by sjn911

I went to insure my trip and there are so many options that appear very similar. How do you choose?

We always pre-pay the gratuities. Should I include that in the total cost of the cruise or not?

When we cruise, or vacation in general, travel insurance is something we always include.

InsureMyTrip.com is a very good site, but we have found better premiums on occasion using SquareMouth.com

Almost always had it. Never used it. I still buy it. There were a couple of times that I might have needed to use it, but ultimately did not. One of those times we could have potentially missed the flight and possibly the cruise due to a lost id issue (fortunately we had passports). The other time DD showed symptoms of an ear infection the night before boarding when we were already in Cocoa Beach and we thought we might have to take her to an out of network urgent care (and possibly risk being their all day and miss the ship) or chance it and visit the ships doctor if necessary. Fortunately she is a brave soul and we chanced it and did not have to see the ship's doctor, but it was a miserable trip. It was nice to know we had insurance that would have covered it though.

I agree with others about buying it elsewhere. I like to insure my trip (wink wink) myself.

I went to insure my trip and there are so many options that appear very similar. How do you choose?

We always pre-pay the gratuities. Should I include that in the total cost of the cruise or not?

We usually go for one that has cancel for work reasons included in the base price, because you never know. I think its travel guard. Gold.

I think we'll wind up going through the one with USAA can't remember the name but they have a cancel for any reason that pays 70 or 75% for around $350 or a cancel for a covered reason for around $160. The policy that is cancel for a listed reason covers anything we would cancel for work, sickness, accident, injury etc. Basically just doesn't cover if you change your mind and don't want to go and well that's not going to happen lol Has better medical coverage than the Carnival insurance so I cancelled it.

Still want to find a yearly plan that will cover trip cancellations (including cruises the nationwide one didnt' look like it included cruises just house rentals etc) and medical. Or a good yearly to cover medical and a cheap cancellation policy to tack on for trips. I plan on probably 4-5 cruises next year and one or 2 trips to FL plus a trip to GA and have this cruise plus a trip to VA left this year so an annual policy would be a better value.

It's worth it if you think you might use it. That sounds vague, but as you can see from responses, multiple people have cancelled trips.

As far back as I can remember, even as a little child, I've missed exactly zero trips, flights, cruising, anything. Zero.

For me, travel insurance wouldn't be worth it. And even if I lost a few thousand on a cruise every 33 years.... it would be cheaper than buying insurance on every trip.

I do purchase travel/medical insurance when skiing abroad, however. As another poster commented - a medivac, etc... could be VERY pricey.

Edited by BNBR

It's worth it if you think you might use it. That sounds vague, but as you can see from responses, multiple people have cancelled trips.

As far back as I can remember, even as a little child, I've missed exactly zero trips, flights, cruising, anything. Zero.

For me, travel insurance wouldn't be worth it. And even if I lost a few thousand on a cruise every 33 years.... it would be cheaper than buying insurance on every trip.

I do purchase travel/medical insurance when skiing abroad, however. As another poster commented - a medivac, etc... could be VERY pricey.

Just curious as to why you wouldn't spend the money on travel insurance for emergency evac on a cruise - risks may be minimal but still there.

I don't mind spending $150 to save my $5000 vacation for piece of mind

Just curious as to why you wouldn't spend the money on travel insurance for emergency evac on a cruise - risks may be minimal but still there.

I don't mind spending $150 to save my $5000 vacation for piece of mind

We buy trip insurance not only for personal medical reasons, but also for non-medical and other reasons, regardless of age, that may result to cancellation or interruption of trip.

I understand the souls that have the mentality of the gamble. One can definitely say it is a "crock" and it is playing on our fears...the insurance industry does. However, like everything, it is not perfect and the learning side of a bill you can not handle when your body needs the help is awful. This is when you want the "royal flush" or whatever in your hand. I am not a big gambler, lol.

One rarely learns the easy way. There is help here to do so with insurance and travel.

Edited by sjn911

I have never taken out travel insurance in 25 years of sailing - my work medical coverage has reimbursed me for every on board medical services I have ever needed when at sea.

How nice that you have insurance that will cover that. Most folks do not. And from your statement it appears you have used on board medical services. So for those of us not blessed with your coverage trip insurance is helpful and, for me, worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It depends on weather you are ok with losing out if for some reason you cant go along with the emergency coverage it provides. So for us we do not get it because we dont book ones that are so expensive that if we had to abandon the cruise for some reason it would hurt also for sake of emergency the credit card we use to book covers those cost even out of country. But if its is like 10k cruise we are getting it because no matter how unlikely I can't take a 10k risk.

Faulty logic.

Even on a short, cheap, 3, 4 or 5 day cruise you are gambling at least 10,000 because if you had to be airlifted from the Bahamas or Mexico that is the minimum of what you will have to pay for an air ambulance. Also, many Caribbean and Mexican hospitals require payment in full BEFORE they will treat you.

Even if you have the insurance you will most likely have to pay up front and get reimbursed by the insurance afterward. High credit limit credit cards will take care of the hospital bills and the insurance company will take care of the air ambulance arrangements for you.

Edited by DebJ14

We usually go for one that has cancel for work reasons included in the base price, because you never know. I think its travel guard. Gold.

You can add a required to work rider to an Allianz policy. My son adds it every time since he never knows whether or not he can go until the last minute, even with advance permission. If there is a deal that he is working on he has to stay until it is completed.

When we cruise, or vacation in general, travel insurance is something we always include.

InsureMyTrip.com is a very good site, but we have found better premiums on occasion using SquareMouth.com

Gratuities and the government fees and taxes are refunded if you cancel, so just insure the non-refundable portion, which would be your cruise fare including port charges and airfare if you booked any.

I was just checking out Nationwide, I like that it covers domestic and international travel but it looks like it just pays for delays and medical. It still wouldn't refund your money for your cruise that you missed would it? Or am I missing that part of the policy.

Sorry, been out of town. A very good question causing me to pull out the e-mail copy of my policy. I cut and pasted below the policy portion that may answer your question. It's a bit wordy so bear with it:

The Company will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage, if You are prevented from taking Your Trip for any of the following reasons that are Unforeseen and takes place after the Effective Date:

Your Sickness, Accidental Injury or death, occurring within thirty (30) days of the date of Your Trip that results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of Loss preventing Your participation in the Trip. A Physician must advise to cancel the Trip on or before the Scheduled Departure Date.

Sickness, Accidental Injury or death of a Family Member or Traveling Companion, occurring within thirty (30) days of Your Trip, booked to travel with You, that results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician preventing that person’s participation in the Trip.

Sickness, Accidental Injury or death of a non-traveling Family Member.

You or a Traveling Companion being hijacked, Quarantined, required to serve on a jury, subpoenaed, the victim of felonious assault within ten (10) days of departure; having Your principal place of residence made Uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster; or burglary of Your principal place of residence within ten (10) days of departure.

You or a Traveling Companion being directly involved in a traffic accident substantiated by a police report, while en route to departure.

The death or Hospitalization of Your Host at Destination within thirty (30) days of the date of Your Trip.

A Terrorist Incident that occurs in a city listed on Your Trip itinerary and within thirty (30) days prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date. This same city must not have experienced a Terrorist Incident within the ninety (90) days prior to the Terrorist Incident that is causing the cancellation of Your Trip. Benefits are not provided if the Travel Supplier offers a substitute itinerary. This does not include flight connections or other transportation arrangements to reach Your destination. A Terrorist Incident that occurs onboard an in-flight aircraft is not covered.

You, a Traveling Companion or Family Member, who are military personnel, and are called to emergency duty for a natural disaster; this does not include war.

Strike that causes complete cessation of services for at least forty-eight (48) consecutive hours.

Weather at the departure site that causes complete cessation of services of the Common Carrier for at least twenty-four (24) consecutive hours and prevents You from reaching Your destination. This benefit will not apply if the potential natural disaster has been forecasted or a storm has been named prior to purchase of this coverage.

Bankruptcy and/or Default of Your Travel Supplier that occurs more than ten (10) days following Your Effective Date. Coverage is not provided for the Bankruptcy or Default of the agency from whom You purchased Your Land/Sea Arrangements. If alternate transportation is available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow You to transfer to another airline in order to get to Your intended destination.

Natural disaster at the site of Your destination that renders Your destination accommodations Uninhabitable.

NSHTC 2500 PC 22 Final 11/14/2012

The Company will reimburse You for the following:

a) pre-paid non-refundable cancellation charges imposed by the Travel Suppliers pre-paid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits You paid for Your Trip provided the premium paid is received by the Company (or its authorized representative) that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions;

b) If Your Travel Supplier cancels Your Trip, You are covered up to $100.00 for the reissue fee charged by the airline for the tickets or up to $200.00 for the cost charged by the airline to retain Your frequent flyer miles if not used to purchase the airline ticket in conjunction with this Trip.

In no event shall the amount reimbursed exceed the amount You prepaid for the Trip or the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

SPECIAL CONDITIONS: You must advise the Company or its authorized representative within seventy-two (72) hours in the event of a claim. If the claim is not reported within seventy-two (72) hours, it should be reported as soon as possible. All other delays of reporting beyond seventy- two (72) hours will result in reduced benefit payments.

I was just checking out Nationwide, I like that it covers domestic and international travel but it looks like it just pays for delays and medical. It still wouldn't refund your money for your cruise that you missed would it? Or am I missing that part of the policy.

I'll add just this bit in case it helps in your analysis of insurance policies.

My final cost was $268 for a calendar year policy and covers both myself and my wife (no dependent children) . It includes the following (this is a copy and paste) :

Trip Cancellation Annual Aggregate Trip Cancellation Limit for all travelers (Trip Interruption Included in Trip Cancellation Annual Aggregate Limit):

$2,500

Trip Interruption Included in Trip Cancellation Annual Aggregate Limit

Financial Default 10 day wait from effective date

Terrorism in Itinerary City Included

Cancel For Any Reason Not Applicable

Baggage/Personal Effects $1,000 per person/per trip;

$250 per article limit; $500 max. for valuable goods (secondary)

Baggage Delay 12+ hours

$250 max. per person/per trip (secondary)

Trip Delay 12+ hours

$100/day; $500 max. per person/per trip (secondary)

Emergency Medical Expense $20,000 per person/per trip (secondary)

Emergency Dental Expense $750 (Incl. in Medical) per person/per trip (secondary)

Emergency Medical Evacuation Emergency Medical Evacuation $250,000 per person/per trip (secondary)

Repatriation of Remains $250,000 per person/per trip (secondary)

Pre-Existing Conditions Waiver Not Applicable

Pre-Existing Condition Period 90 Days Prior to Effective Date

24-Hour Emergency Assistance Travel Assistance

Roadside Assistance

Insurance Company Nationwide

A.M. Best Rating A+

Refund Policy 10 Day Review Period

(any coverage changes must be made within this review period)

Rental Car Collision/Loss (per policy) Not Applicable

Accidental Death - 24-Hour $25,000 per person/per trip

Common Carrier Not Applicable

Flight Not Applicable

Policy Delivery Method Email

Additional Options [X] Pro Deluxe Upgrade

Additional Notes All trips must be more than 100 miles from your primary residence, either originate or have a stop in the United States, and must be 30 consecutive days or less in duration.

Travel to Cuba is restricted

This plan is available to You, Your Domestic Partner (Spouse) and Your Dependent Children traveling with you.

**Only one policy can be in effect per annual term, per primary insured.

If the policy is purchased on the day of departure, coverage will become effective the day after the scheduled departure date.

Covered trips must be taken within one year of receipt of booking confirmation.

Edited by EastTex

Thank you for the updated Nationwide information. So I'm assuming this:

a) pre-paid non-refundable cancellation charges imposed by the Travel Suppliers pre-paid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits You paid for Your Trip provided the premium paid is received by the Company (or its authorized representative) that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions;

Would be your cruise refund. The fact your first port is listed as a US port would cover the requirement for your trip to include a US destination. Of course I always stay overnight prior to the cruise and all ports are more than 100 miles from my home so it would be covered anyways.

I tried to get an online quote for a 1 year policy but it said the site wasn't working. I allowed me to get a one trip quote but not one for an annual policy so I bought the single trip through the USAA agent. I will definitely look into this further for an annual plan. I want something that will cover us for US and international trips. It looks like you upgraded it to pro deluxe so I'll check out that option as well. We have 2 minor children left at home so our plan will be a little higher still that's not much higher than we pay for 1 cruise and that covers you for a year of travel.