Returning to RC after 7 year hiatus

I just found a fabulous deal on a 7-day cruise for Thanksgiving week (wow!) that was far less than the Carnival cruise I was eyeing for the same cruise and port, so I grabbed it.

I haven't cruised on RC since 2009. I enjoyed it back then, but life changed, and I found better deals on Carnival. Now that I'm returning to RC, I'm wondering what to expect as far as food and entertainment quality?

I'm especially wondering whether we can expect turkey to be served on Thanksgiving?

roast turkey is one of the entrees in rotation for the current menu so it will remain to be seen if it happens to show up on Thanksgiving Day. The food quality and portion size has declined since you last sailed with RCI. We started in 2005 and have noticed the decline over the years. The desserts aren't that good, drinks are high priced. Go with a low expectation. The good news is that the ship will be decorated for Christmas.

roast turkey is one of the entrees in rotation for the current menu so it will remain to be seen if it happens to show up on Thanksgiving Day. The food quality and portion size has declined since you last sailed with RCI. We started in 2005 and have noticed the decline over the years. The desserts aren't that good, drinks are high priced. Go with a low expectation. The good news is that the ship will be decorated for Christmas.

That's a plus!

Are there any decent desserts? I'm quite a fan of Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake.

Well,

I checked to see if your last cruise on Royal 7 years ago was with me. I was already to apologize for whatever may have occurred. Looking at your cruise history, I would say entertainment hasn't changed much unless you book one of the bigger ships like the Oasis or Quantum class.. I don't think there will be much different on your upcoming Granduer when compared to Radiance in 09, but I'll admit I haven't been on Granduer yet.

That's a plus!

Are there any decent desserts? I'm quite a fan of Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake.

I'm a huge fan of the Carnival melting cake as well (love). I was disappointed by the sort-of melting cake offered one night on my first RCI cruise. Not nearly as good and so small! :(

I just found a fabulous deal on a 7-day cruise for Thanksgiving week (wow!) that was far less than the Carnival cruise I was eyeing for the same cruise and port, so I grabbed it.

I haven't cruised on RC since 2009. I enjoyed it back then, but life changed, and I found better deals on Carnival. Now that I'm returning to RC, I'm wondering what to expect as far as food and entertainment quality?

I'm especially wondering whether we can expect turkey to be served on Thanksgiving?

Food wont be as good as Carnival. Entertainment will be better. Just MY opinion. All subjective.

Edited by ryano

Well,

I checked to see if your last cruise on Royal 7 years ago was with me. I was already to apologize for whatever may have occurred. Looking at your cruise history, I would say entertainment hasn't changed much unless you book one of the bigger ships like the Oasis or Quantum class.. I don't think there will be much different on your upcoming Granduer when compared to Radiance in 09, but I'll admit I haven't been on Granduer yet.

It had nothing to do with you, Bill. My RC cruises were with my ex-husband :eek: and I have a new one :o We found a bargain some bargains on Carnival and enjoyed the cruises, so there was no reason to change until I found this deal that blew me away.

Key Lime Pie.

Yum! I'll definitely scarf that up. I'm such a health food not :p

Not a dessert, but I remember some kind of onion tart thing back in the day that everyone raved about. That was pretty good. Is it still on the menu?

I'm a huge fan of the Carnival melting cake as well (love). I was disappointed by the sort-of melting cake offered one night on my first RCI cruise. Not nearly as good and so small! :(

I'll avoid that then. I can wait until Feb. for my WCMC fix. I get it every night on Carnival ships.

I'm sure I'll find something. I'm not that picky of an eater

Food wont be as good as Carnival. Entertainment will be better. Just MY opinion. All subjective.

Thanks. I always loved the classic look of the RC ships. I can't bring myself to cruise on the big giant ones....to expensive and mall-like with too many pax. Carnival's ships have a unique look to say the least.

That's interesting because personally I liked the shows better on carnival and the food better on Royal. Just shows its different for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Just shows its different for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Exactly, which is why I underlined MY in my opinion :)

The headliner shows on Royal are tens time better, again, in my opinion. I like the fact that Royal still uses live people for their music. Carnival has nothing that compares to some of the broadway type shows Royal offers on their newer ships.

Food is so subjective but Carnivals MDR food, buffet food, burgers, pizza and pretty much everything else I ate that week was much better than my last experience on Royal. In specialty dining I give the nod to Giovannis table over Cucina De Capitano but Carnivals steakhouse is miles ahead of Chops.

my opinion...having been on both.... switch back to the pride. i love carnival and royal for different reasons but when comparing pride to grandeur, pride wins out

We love Pride (we were married on her), but the difference was enough for a drink package and the itineraries were similar. We'll try anything once.

That's a plus!

The desserts are very good in the MDR. A couple nights we couldn't decide so we got two! Also, the chilled fruit soups are really good. I can't eat green salads so was pleased every night to see the fruit soups were available along with the salads.