Question about taking daughter's friend...

digger69

We're booked on the Grand for the 6/7/17 Alaska cruise. Our 14 year old would like to take a friend.

Has anyone ever done this? Any problems with booking a non-family minor in our group? Anything I should know when speaking to Princess about adding this person to our booking?

We're booked on the Grand for the 6/7/17 Alaska cruise. Our 14 year old would like to take a friend.

Has anyone ever done this? Any problems with booking a non-family minor in our group? Anything I should know when speaking to Princess about adding this person to our booking?

No problems with booking however.......

You should have a notarized permission slip signed by the parents for the minor to travel outside the US.

Also some kind of medical release as well.

We have done this a couple of times and were asked for the form when crossing the border on the way from Seattle-Vancouver by car to take the cruise on Princess.

We were also asked at check-in.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

you will need a notarized letter signed by both her parents or legal guardians allowing her to travel with you. its also a good idea to have a form allowing you to make medical decisions while on the cruise.

edit: colo, you type faster than i do!

Edited by cdngrl

From the Princess website:

"Documents for guests under the age of 18

Several countries require special documentation for children traveling with only one parent or with neither parent; these requirements are subject to change without notice. Many foreign countries require any single parent or guardian to bring a permission slip for the minor to travel abroad. It is your responsibility to ensure that you possess the proper documents for all of the countries that you will visit. Please verify requirements with the consulates of the countries visited prior to your cruise."

I work for a company that operates small jets for private charter. We do a lot of trips outside of the USA. Last month, we took a family to the Bahamas and they had a 14 year old non-family member go with them. Our local US Customs office wanted the following:

Current US Passport. Notarized Document giving permission for the 14 year old to travel with this family out of the USA and which country would be visited. Copies of drivers license of both parents.

I would also get a Notarized Document authorizing medical treatment abroad and ask the parents for a copy of any medical insurance cards and check to see if the child is covered on the policy while out of the country.

Make copies of these documents to take with you. Some countries will want to keep a set. Always keep the originals for clearing US Customs back into the US.

I think it sounds like a good idea. 1st you do need to make sure that the cabin can hold 3 people. If it isn't a triple or quad they will not add another person to the room. It's probably early enough you should be able to find a cabin that will work for all of you. As the previous people have mentioned a notarized note stating you have permission to take friend out of the country and a medical treatment release are must haves for leaving the country.

No problems with booking however.......

You should have a notarized permission slip signed by the parents for the minor to travel outside the US.

Also some kind of medical release as well.

We have done this a couple of times and were asked for the form when crossing the border on the way from Seattle-Vancouver by car to take the cruise on Princess.

We were also asked at check-in.

Good advice. Make sure that you have her medical insurance information also just in case.

DON

Being the Parents of an only Child, we've taken friends and cousins along with our Daughter on about 10 cruises starting at age 9. We jokingly called this 1-800-rent-a-sister. My suggestion is to sit down as a group with the Friend and her Parents and set some ground rules about your expectations on behavior and safety. Before every cruise I would talk to them about respecting the ship, crew and most importantly safety. We had long conversations about not answering the cabin door if someone knocked and they were alone. I told them to call the front desk if they had any concerns about who was at the door. We talked about not going into other passengers cabins even if they were other children. On about day 2 of every cruise, I would test them and knock on the cabin door, hide the peep hole and see if they answered. I think they did once so be sure to do this test early on.

All I can say is that as long as the Kids are well behaved and are rule followers, it should be a great experience and one they will never forget. Have fun!

Hmmm, this sounds familiar... My advice would be this:

If you are paying your daughter's friend's way, GREAT; and congratulations on your advanced socio-economic status.

If you're just a regular schlub or couple like we were and you expect the friend's family to pay for her trip (and they even agree), make sure all is paid up front, FIRST!

Don't ask me how I know.

money-flying1.png