HAL Gala Nights - Long or short dresses?

jp2001

I am a 37 yo woman wondering if I should bring my long gown (not puffy ball gown, but floor lenght evening dress). My other dress is quite dressy but not as long (asymetrical), I think it will do no matter if long or short is the norm on Gala Nights.

If we have three gala nights as I expect, I can wear the same long black dress twice (electric yellow bolero so people will notice THAT and much less the dress under it for the 1st gala night and then the same dress on its own - bare shoulders, V-back with simple pearl necklace for a completely different look on the 3rd formal night).

I might have to buy another short dress if they are best on Gala nights. I have a few ''office christmas party'' dresses that could do I guess but IMHO ships require something dressier.

I would disagree with post above; you will not be the youngest person and many women will not wear shoulder pads and poly pants!

Don't bring the long gown. HAL has gotten less formal and a short cocktail dress is just fine.

Even my kids loved HAL. My DD's favorite vacation was a HAL cruise a couple of years ago, and she is an older teen.

I will be taking one long and one short on my next 7-night cruise. I like shorter ones for dancing, but the advantage to me with a long one (besides feeling elegant) is that if for some reason I can't wear heels, I can wear flats and they won't show.

On our following cruise, 12 nights, I will probably take one long and the rest short.

Also, we have found European cruises to be dressier overall than Carib/Alaska, etc.

There will be both long and short dresss, so you will be fine with either.

In the last couple of years, there are fewer and fewer long dresses and tuxes. Cocktail dresses are the norm. And yes, dressy pants and sparkly tunics will also be on display.

I now take only short dresses -- easier packing.;)

Edited by marti2282

I feel extremely elegant in my formal cocktail dress, so I don't bother packing a long one anymore unless it a 14 day+ cruise, and I certainly never buy any elegant dress shoes where my feet hurt before at least four hours of wear! Not quite sure where some of the posters buy their shoes...

By the way to the poster who said women will be in poly pants and padded shoulders: My mother is 75 and she would not be caught dead in either. She purposely keeps herself healthy and fit so she can still wear anything she wants including elegant dresses long or short to please herself and my father. She is a size 2 with absolutely flat abs and looks better than most women 1/4 her age!

P.S. Packing Light.com is an excellent source for packing formal wear for you and suits for your man. We have yet to have to press or use the ship's steamer when using their instructions.

I agree, shoes must be comfortable if they want to make it into the suitcase. My reference to changing into flats was based on the time I sprained my ankle, leading to a lot of swelling, and a couple of times when the seas were so rough that the captain requested that women not wear high heels. There is no way I want to miss dinner, dancing, and the rest of my evening just because the ship is rolling!

If you love wearing your long gown then bring it. You will see an assortment of dress lengths on gala night. I love long dresses and skirts and will be bringing a couple for our T/A later this year.

Although you may see the occasional lady wearing poly pants and shoulder pads in their jackets, it is because that is what makes them feel good and I have no qualm with that. They feel dressed up for gala night and I would much rather see that than t-shirts and shorts wandering into the dining room.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)