Cabins under Skywalk?

Janannbo

Hi,

We are new to cruising & have booked with Royal Princess for next Sept to celebrate our Sliver Wedding Anniversary. Originally we booked a balcony cabin on Riviera Deck 14, we have just been given an upgrade to a mini suite (A415) on Aloha Deck 12 for an slight extra charge, which is fabulous! I just have some concerns about the cabin as I have read some comments about it being directly under The Skywalk? There is a video on YouTube showing that passengers are able to look down directly onto those balconies & into the rooms! Another comment that I read says that it is lit up bright blue underneath all night & this shines into the rooms? & lastly would it have an obstructed view? my main concern is the privacy issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi,

In June 2014, we sailed aboard the Regal Princess on one of the ship's first cruises. We had a Riviera Deck mini-suite (R415) under the SeaWalk. The location was great and we enjoyed the larger angled balcony that had an excellent view. Although our balcony was only two decks below the SeaWalk, this was never a problem. People could look down and see us sitting on the balcony, but they could not see into the stateroom. Also, I liked the faint blue glow of the lights above the balcony at night. I would not hesitate to book this room again.

Chuck

Hi,

We are new to cruising & have booked with Royal Princess for next Sept to celebrate our Sliver Wedding Anniversary. Originally we booked a balcony cabin on Riviera Deck 14, we have just been given an upgrade to a mini suite (A415) on Aloha Deck 12 for an slight extra charge, which is fabulous! I just have some concerns about the cabin as I have read some comments about it being directly under The Skywalk? There is a video on YouTube showing that passengers are able to look down directly onto those balconies & into the rooms! Another comment that I read says that it is lit up bright blue underneath all night & this shines into the rooms? & lastly would it have an obstructed view? my main concern is the privacy issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

People generally walk across the skywalk once, they don't stop and stand around looking into the balconies. As the poster above noted, they might see you on your balcony and give a friendly wave, but they won't be standing and staring. My mom had one and we never noticed anyone. She too enjoyed the blue lighting and didn't find it to be an issue

We have stayed in one of the angled balconies on the Royal under the Skywalk. We loved it.

While others could see you on your balcony. They cannot see into your room. If you are nervous about it, just close the curtains.

We enjoyed the balcony, watching people's reaction to the Skywalk. So many people crossing tried to avoid the glass panels on the Skywalk, like maybe the panels would break.

The blue glow at night is nice. I have a photo on my iPad of it.

Really, it is not as intrusive as people speculate that it is.

Edited by redtogo

We've enjoyed (thoroughly!) C415 on the Royal and Regal multiple times. Our favorite cabin to book when it's available. It's on a lower deck but report that I never felt any eyes on us and we are true balcony rats! Like redtogo, we enjoy the very soft blue light at night. Think it's pretty. And if you decide otherwise you can always draw the drapes!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

People generally walk across the skywalk once, they don't stop and stand around looking into the balconies. As the poster above noted, they might see you on your balcony and give a friendly wave, but they won't be standing and staring. My mom had one and we never noticed anyone. She too enjoyed the blue lighting and didn't find it to be an issue

I agree. Not all passengers walk on it, esp. those who are afraid of heights.

Hi,

People walk on the sea walk but they are not going to stop and stare into your room. People are so paranoid!!!

• 8 months later...

Yesterday, May 17th 2017, I Googled the Crown Princess videos, and came across a video that spoke about the Skywalk. It showed the cabins below the Skywalk. I don't think it will be a problem unless there's an "activity" on the balcony. LOL

Yesterday, May 17th 2017, I Googled the Crown Princess videos, and came across a video that spoke about the Skywalk. It showed the cabins below the Skywalk. I don't think it will be a problem unless there's an "activity" on the balcony. LOL

I would add one bit of caution. If you get a cabin that is below the SeaView Bar or Sea Walk and you are on the Marina Deck, your proximity to the protrusion above you can "shrink" your view quite a bit due to the upward obstruction. Here is a video of cabin M416 (directly below the SeaView Bar) and you can see how the view is different from what one might expect from a balcony. (Jump to the 2:30 mark).

If there's that sort of "activity" going on it might attract quite a crowd on the walkway. :D

If there's that sort of "activity" going on it might attract quite a crowd on the walkway. :D

Given the average age of the passengers I don't think I would want to stop and watch... :eek:

People walk on the sea walk but they are not going to stop and stare into your room. People are so paranoid!!!

Ah, but as in much of life, there is at least one person that would do it - and even videotape it and then post it on YouTube.

Yesterday, May 17th 2017, I Googled the Crown Princess videos, and came across a video that spoke about the Skywalk. It showed the cabins below the Skywalk.

First I've heard of a Skywalk on Crown Princess so I'm sure there is nothing to worry about there!

Actually....it is officially the SeaWalk not the SkyWalk.

True but on occasion there are some younger couples that sail Princess.

Yes....we all just heard from one of them numerous times a few days ago! Don't really think they will be back soon. I think they were in the Crown Princess yet they missed complaining about the MISSING SEAWALK!

AE_Collector

Edited by AE_Collector

I've researched this quite a bit, and it seems like some people feel that the SeaWalk/SkyWalk would impede their privacy, and impact their enjoyment of their balcony. There are a lot of posts about this, and even some, rather harsh YouTube videos.

But here's the catch: Those comments never come from people who have stayed in these cabins. Instead, people that have stayed in the cabin comment on the extended balcony, prime location, or even enjoying the SeaWalk (some like the glow at night, others like a bit of people watching).

I haven't stayed in one of these cabins yet, but when I realized this, I opted to book B422 in Regal - 3 levels under the walkway. We sail in September 2017.

But here's the catch: Those comments never come from people who have stayed in these cabins. Instead, people that have stayed in the cabin comment on the extended balcony, prime location, or even enjoying the SeaWalk (some like the glow at night, others like a bit of people watching).

Or not...

Just got off the Regal Princess today. Our cabin was M424 directly under the Seaview Bar. I was very upset to find out once on board that the balcony had an obstructed view. i like to take pictures from my balcony and I could not do it this time as the overhang from the bottom of the Bar was directly on top of me. Could not see the stars in the sky. It would have been nice to know this before booking. I never would have booked this cabin. Just a warning to those of you that are thinking of booking this cabin or the ones close to it.

I've researched this quite a bit, and it seems like some people feel that the SeaWalk/SkyWalk would impede their privacy, and impact their enjoyment of their balcony. There are a lot of posts about this, and even some, rather harsh YouTube videos.

I haven't stayed in one of these cabins yet, but when I realized this, I opted to book B422 in Regal - 3 levels under the walkway. We sail in September 2017.

Good points! Count us in as someone who liked staying under the Sea Walk. We stayed in Regal 421 and actually liked the blue lights. And also did enjoy the people watching. We were smart to know to close our privacy shades at night.

True, but those same people either don't care if others see them in their skivvies or just haven't been on the walkway & looked down into a lit cabin at night.

When I'm in the room in the evening with the lights on, I prefer not to be in a fish bowl on display.

btw- The cabins three levels below the walkway don't allow people to view in as easily. It's only those at the top.

I don't get why people think they should be able to be naked or barely dressed or doing sexual things on their balcony. You're not at home and regardless of a Seawalk or not the balconies are not very private, you just lean on the railing and you can see your neighbor and also easily hear what anyone is saying or doing. There are a lot of discussions about this. Just keep your clothes on and don't do weird **** and you'll be fine. I had a balcony under the Seawalk on the Regal and it was great. The people up there have no interest in you or what you're doing so don't flatter yourself. It did not impact my use of the balcony or my sight lines, it was perfectly fine.

I don't get why people think they should be able to be naked or barely dressed or doing sexual things on their balcony. You're not at home and regardless of a Seawalk or not the balconies are not very private, you just lean on the railing and you can see your neighbor and also easily hear what anyone is saying or doing. There are a lot of discussions about this. Just keep your clothes on and don't do weird **** and you'll be fine. I had a balcony under the Seawalk on the Regal and it was great. The people up there have no interest in you or what you're doing so don't flatter yourself. It did not impact my use of the balcony or my sight lines, it was perfectly fine.

I don't think people have any problem with being seen if on a balcony but when someone can see half way in to your cabin at night when the drapes are open & the lights are on it's another subject. I hate to keep our drapes closed since I like to see sunlight in the morning & those cabins just don't work for me.

You might as well book an inside cabin.