Need Help with Logistic from FLL to Port in Miami & Hotel the Night before

mkgal

I think the consensus is to stay in FLL area - use free hotel shuttle from airport to hotel. Then either Uber (never done Uber - tell me more), Jiffy Jeff's (am I understanding correctly that he will pick up from hotel or do we have to go back to the airport), OR Ride SAS (is this airport or hotel pickup?). I think car rental is out of the question. Half the reason we love cruising is because we don't have the stress of "thinking". No traffic, navigation issues, finding good food, etc. we are ready to relax. We are willing to pay for convenience. Also, if staying in FLL, how long does it take to get to the port. We are flying in Friday night and getting on ship Saturday morning. I would like to get to the port as early as possible. By 11:00 am??? If I schedule a pickup from area hotel at 10:00 would that me adequate travel time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the consensus is to stay in FLL area - use free hotel shuttle from airport to hotel. Then either Uber (never done Uber - tell me more), Jiffy Jeff's (am I understanding correctly that he will pick up from hotel or do we have to go back to the airport), OR Ride SAS (is this airport or hotel pickup?). I think car rental is out of the question. Half the reason we love cruising is because we don't have the stress of "thinking". No traffic, navigation issues, finding good food, etc. we are ready to relax. We are willing to pay for convenience. Also, if staying in FLL, how long does it take to get to the port. We are flying in Friday night and getting on ship Saturday morning. I would like to get to the port as early as possible. By 11:00 am??? If I schedule a pickup from area hotel at 10:00 would that me adequate travel time?

If you go with SAS, they will pick you up at your hotel. QLS is another service, but they only pick up at hotels within 3 miles of FLL.

If you'd like to arrive around 11 and using SAS or QLS, I'd go with a 9:00 or 9:30 pickup. They will likely be picking up others at other hotels or the airport, which will take extra time.

Have fun on the Escape! It was probably our favorite ship yet!

We are renting a car from Avis the day before. Driving to Miami and checking in at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon. In the morning, we will drive to the Avis near the port to drop off the cart and they will shuttle us to the terminal.

As a FL native familiar with the area, I agree completely.

MIA is a nightmare and would not rent a car for such a short period of time. Make life easy. Uber is the way to go.

And I've never been stuck by Hotwire. Always very happy with accommodations.

Have a great trip!!

YES! Please DO NOT rent a car and drive yourself!

Hyatt Place 17th St. Convention Center in FLL (book on valutrips.com for a good price) ...then SAS Transport to Miami port. We have done this 3 times with no problems. BTW, the hotel includes a nice breakfast and the hotel is near a shopping area with several restaurants. :)

While we always stay in Miami the night before (JW Marriott Marquis) because of dining options I totally agree with other posters that a close airport hotel makes sense.

We have enjoyed the Embassy Suites (not sure if there is currently a shuttle)

which would seem ideal for your group with free hot breakfast.

There is a shopping area (large liquor store, groceries,etc. within walking distance behind the prop which is a great place to pick up items for the cruise.

We always use SAS and recommend them higtly but I think Uber is a great option and we will investigate for our next trip in Jan.

If you have not used them (Uber) and have a Chase CCard you can get a 30 dollar credit for your first trip if you use this card for sign up and put in the code ChaseUber (must be used in 2016).

Good luck.

I was researching shuttles, cabs, and rentals as well since we are doing the same thing. We are a group of 10 traveling together. We decided to rent two cars/suvs to split and handle luggage between us - 4 kids so should not be an issue.

Renting FLL going to ES in Miami since it was considerably cheaper the night we needed to stay. Will return the car a few miles to MIA airport and take the free shuttle to the port.

A car just offers us a little more freedom from shuttles and figured we may need to make a last minute run for supplies so it made the most since for us. Good luck with whatever you decide.

BTW we drove in MIA in April and it is not that bad, phone apps can avoid tolls as well.

We just returned from a cruise that sailed from the port of Miami but we flew into Fort Lauderdale. ( cheaper flight ) Stayed at Marriott Courtyard airport which was nice. Good price too $ 130.00 for 2 queen beds.

We did book SAS to take us from the Fort Lauderdale hotel to the Miami pier. That worked out fine and it was $ 33.00 total if you used a credit card. HOWEVER ( I know this won't apply for you ), do NOT sign up for SAS to take the van from the port back to Fort Lauderdale. We got on the van at 9:15 a.m. and we were to be dropped off at the Courtyard near the FL airport. He dropped us off just after 11 am so we were on the van for a good 1 hr and 45 min!! He kept circling the port to fill the van and then finally took everyone to the FL airport and circled that airport 8 times to fill up the van. Some passengers were upset because it took the driver so long to drop them off at the airport. The driver was beyond rude. I didn't want to tip him but my husband did. I told the driver no way would I have signed up if I knew it would take at least an hr and 45 min to get back to the FL hotel. He said it was " shared passenger service" and I should have know it would take that long.

We just returned from a cruise that sailed from the port of Miami but we flew into Fort Lauderdale. ( cheaper flight ) Stayed at Marriott Courtyard airport which was nice. Good price too $ 130.00 for 2 queen beds.

We did book SAS to take us from the Fort Lauderdale hotel to the Miami pier. That worked out fine and it was $ 33.00 total if you used a credit card. HOWEVER ( I know this won't apply for you ), do NOT sign up for SAS to take the van from the port back to Fort Lauderdale. We got on the van at 9:15 a.m. and we were to be dropped off at the Courtyard near the FL airport. He dropped us off just after 11 am so we were on the van for a good 1 hr and 45 min!! He kept circling the port to fill the van and then finally took everyone to the FL airport and circled that airport 8 times to fill up the van. Some passengers were upset because it took the driver so long to drop them off at the airport. The driver was beyond rude. I didn't want to tip him but my husband did. I told the driver no way would I have signed up if I knew it would take at least an hr and 45 min to get back to the FL hotel. He said it was " shared passenger service" and I should have know it would take that long.

Thanks for info! I was planning on using them for the return- I definitely will not!!!!