Need Help with Logistic from FLL to Port in Miami & Hotel the Night before

mkgal

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale around 6 pm the day before our cruise leaves from Miami. I'm trying to figure out the best logistics for hotel and transportation to the MIAMI cruise terminal. We are a family of 5 (3 young kids) and will likely have at least 4 pieces of full sized luggage as well as carry on type bags. Though seeing the sites and enjoying a great meal the night of arrival would be nice, the realist in me knows that a full day of travel will make us all tired and so hungry that fast food or hotel restaurant will be acceptable. We would be happy with a CLEAN, SAFE hotel in a GOOD part of town with something to eat on site or nearby and possibly a pool. While price is important, I know that you get what you pay for and am willing to spend a little more for convenience.

Our options are:

A) Fly into FLL. Get a hotel shuttle to a nearby hotel in FLL. Get a car service/taxi/shuttle/etc. to take us to the port in Miami the next morning.

B) Fly into FLL. Get a car service/taxi/shuttle/etc. to take us to a hotel in Miami that has a shuttle to the port the next morning.

C) You experts may have a better plan - I'm open to suggestions.

Hotel and car service suggestions are welcome - including services to avoid!

Our return trip is planned. We are renting a car after the cruise and driving to central FL to visit family and then flying out of another airport. However, tips on the best/most convenient rental car service to do this would be appreciated.

If you already have a long day of travel, option A will have you in your hotel that much sooner. Save your ride to the port of Miami until the following morning when you and your kids are rested.

As far as hotels go I use Trip Advisor to find hotels, the user ratings tend to be accurate. You can also find a suitable restaurant nearby with Trip Advisor.

For your ride from Ft. Lauderdale to the port of Miami I suggest Uber. They have different levels of service depending on number of people and luggage, it will be a private ride for the same or lower cost than many of the shared ride services which may stop at many destinations before reaching yours.

Another option is to get a full-size or van rental (pick up in FLL and return to MIA) so that you can control where you go. If you price shop for the rental you might find that this is a cheaper option than a shuttle and gives you more flexibility.

Many MIA car rentals offer free shuttle to the cruise port so when you turn in the car at MIA you can all take the shuttle to the cruise (you need to have receipt from car rental place to use the shuttle).

You didn't mention the day you're flying in, but if it's Friday through Sunday, Option A with a stay at a business class hotel (Hampton, Marriott Courtyard, etc.) would be my pick. There's not a whole lot to be gained by going to Miami the night before.

You didn't specify when your trip is. Time of year usually dictates prices and availability. I would suggest Adventura area. Its not to far from the airport headed in the Miami direction. There is a large mall there and a lot of restaurants to eat.

I vote C. Rent a car from FLL and stay in Miami. Return to one of the agencies near Port of Miami - Budget, Avis, and Enterprise all have one. You can take their free shuttle to port, or grab a quick & cheap cab/Uber from there to port.

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale around 6 pm the day before our cruise leaves from Miami. I'm trying to figure out the best logistics for hotel and transportation to the MIAMI cruise terminal. We are a family of 5 (3 young kids) and will likely have at least 4 pieces of full sized luggage as well as carry on type bags. Though seeing the sites and enjoying a great meal the night of arrival would be nice, the realist in me knows that a full day of travel will make us all tired and so hungry that fast food or hotel restaurant will be acceptable. We would be happy with a CLEAN, SAFE hotel in a GOOD part of town with something to eat on site or nearby and possibly a pool. While price is important, I know that you get what you pay for and am willing to spend a little more for convenience.

Our options are:

A) Fly into FLL. Get a hotel shuttle to a nearby hotel in FLL. Get a car service/taxi/shuttle/etc. to take us to the port in Miami the next morning.

B) Fly into FLL. Get a car service/taxi/shuttle/etc. to take us to a hotel in Miami that has a shuttle to the port the next morning.

C) You experts may have a better plan - I'm open to suggestions.

Hotel and car service suggestions are welcome - including services to avoid!

Our return trip is planned. We are renting a car after the cruise and driving to central FL to visit family and then flying out of another airport. However, tips on the best/most convenient rental car service to do this would be appreciated.

Re Option B, we have done a late afternoon shuttle to Miami and the traffic was terrible. By the time you all deplane, take bathroom breaks, collect your luggage, it could be 7 before you even head to Miami. And it could be 8:30 or 9:00 before you are ready to eat. Also, after a certain time in the afternoon, some shuttles will charge a premium to take you to Miami. If you do decide to go straight to Miami, I would just use the official FLL shuttle, Go Airport Shuttle. You can book at the kiosk near the luggage carousels, or in advance on their website. We did, simply walked out to the curb, boarded and went straight to our hotel in Miami. They will even book a private shuttle for about $5 pp more.

Note that most hotels in Maimi do not provide shuttle services to the port that I'm aware of. Your hotel can find a taxi large enough for your family. It's a short ride if you stay in the downtown area which is safe. We like the Hilton. You can see the ships docked at the nearby cruise port. Bayside Marina is close by with all its shopping, outdoor dining. Or some use Uber.

Option A would be my choice since you are arriving late with kids. Just choose an airport location and take the hotel shuttle. If you use a shuttle company to the port the next morning, make sure they service the hotel location you are booking. They will probably have a set time to pick you up the following morning. I think I would just take the free hotel shuttle back to the airport and pick up the Go Shuttle to the port. I believe they will go on demand so you can head out as early, or late as you wish.

I vote C. Rent a car from FLL and stay in Miami. Return to one of the agencies near Port of Miami - Budget, Avis, and Enterprise all have one. You can take their free shuttle to port, or grab a quick & cheap cab/Uber from there to port.

If you rent a car get the toll pass as there are a couple cashless tolls before the airport. We learned after the fact that those couple of tolls, which I believe were only around one dollar, cost us $15 EACH in admin fees from the rental company about a month after we returned. The pass was about $10 per rental day

If you rent a car get the toll pass as there are a couple cashless tolls before the airport. We learned after the fact that those couple of tolls, which I believe were only around one dollar, cost us $15 EACH in admin fees from the rental company about a month after we returned. The pass was about $10 per rental day

You can avoid tolls - use the Waze app and specify to not use toll roads. We've done it many times to avoid tolls (after we got zinged once).

We have done this multiple times when our three were young, and now. If they are under 10, stay in FLL. Choose a property with a pool and with a breakfast. After traveling the kids will need to run, not to get in a cab/van whatever for another hour trip. Renting a car is a drag when you have 3 kids to wrangle. We were traveling from Phoenix, so it was a looooong day!

We stayed in FLl, swam, slept, got up for free breakfast - the kids will be too excited to eat much- and take a van service to the port of Miami .

Now that they are teens we take a van service to Miami-Hampton inn or Homewood suites at Brickell. Walk to dinner, stores for last minute items. Easy cab to port in morning. This may also work if your flight to FLL is not long.

Hi, we just did this on July 1st from FLL to Miami. We made the mistake of using a taxi and paid $140 with tip from FLL to Miami Port--we hit some traffic so we were basically paying to wait in traffic.

On the way back, we were wise to use UBER and it was $80 plus tip. UBER so much cheaper and they are literally 1 to 2 minutes to pick you up-no waiting! Highly recommend! It is a fixed price so you wont pay for the traffic waiting! so nice!

I would agree that getting a hotel in FLL with shuttle and free breakfast is the way to go. Then use your phone to order UBER when you are all ready to go. No need to do UBER ahead of time. Just click on UBER and schedule when you and all the little kiddos are ready :)

If you want a quote, use UBER to estimate the charges. :)

Enjoy!

Hi, we just did this on July 1st from FLL to Miami. We made the mistake of using a taxi and paid $140 with tip from FLL to Miami Port--we hit some traffic so we were basically paying to wait in traffic.

On the way back, we were wise to use UBER and it was $80 plus tip. UBER so much cheaper and they are literally 1 to 2 minutes to pick you up-no waiting! Highly recommend! It is a fixed price so you wont pay for the traffic waiting! so nice!

I would agree that getting a hotel in FLL with shuttle and free breakfast is the way to go. Then use your phone to order UBER when you are all ready to go. No need to do UBER ahead of time. Just click on UBER and schedule when you and all the little kiddos are ready :)

Enjoy!

Or rent a car for about $40.

I am a South Florida resident so I wanted to chime in here with my .02. :D

Head on over to Hotwire and see what hotels have free shuttles from FLL airport and really good reviews. Start the vacation off with the best hotel they offer nearby and let your family enjoy the beautiful outdoor pool/garden/firepit area that evening. Order pizza poolside. In the morning call an Uber and go enjoy your cruise! Have fun!

As a FL native familiar with the area, I agree completely.

MIA is a nightmare and would not rent a car for such a short period of time. Make life easy. Uber is the way to go.

And I've never been stuck by Hotwire. Always very happy with accommodations.

Have a great trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not an expert but here is some thoughts. You could stay at a FLl hotel near airport with a free shuttle. On cruise day request a Uber XL to carry you family of 5 to port.

The other option is to get a 1 way car rental. I have done this with Budget from Orlando to Port C. Do a online search for budget discount codes and then look at the price online with the code. Cost me $36 for a full size car.

When you look at hotels the Miami downtown and airport hotels are maybe less than FLl.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Enjoy!

You must have encountered surge prices or something...we payed $30 from POM to FLL.

We haven't gone on our cruise yet but here is what we are doing for our traveling with two toddlers...all was recommended by a friend:

Arriving at FLL the day before. We are add staying at the Hyatt Place in Dania Beach (they have a free shuttle from FLL). All rooms have a bed and sofa bed so you can probably squeeze into one room. Also includes free breakfast and they have a pool onsite.

Using Jiffy Jeff Transportation to the port of Miami the next morning. He is providing car seats to the port as well for us. He is also returning us to FLL after the cruise.

Once again, we haven't done this yet but we had friends that did the same and they were pleased with both the hotel and Jiffy Jeff.

We just did this exact same itinerary 1 August we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Fort Lauderdale they had free airport shuttle so they picked us up Isa room a little strip mall right across the street where they had some decent restaurants to eat, and we felt very secure in the neighborhood. The next morning they provided a nice breakfast and we had Jiffy Jeff pick us up and take us to the Miami port. Jiffy Jeff was very dependable courteous the only negative is we had to wait for another flight to come in so we sat in the parking lot for 45 minutes waiting for two more people. So that delayed us getting to the ship early but we still have plenty of time. We did decide that next time we did this we would Uber down.

Or rent a car for about $40.

i dont see the logic in renting a car though...i just want to get picked up and dropped off...the OP has 5 people and luggage. Renting a car seems like a chore...sounds cheaper with your quote of $40. glad there's options.

Edited by MICHLEV1974

Stay in Fll in Port verglades area ...lots of restaurants around

Book ridesas to take you to POM ..and pick you up when you return 15 $ pp

We do it this way all the time ..try Hyatt place or Holiday i nn Embassy suites etc etc etc etc many have free shuttles to hotels from airport check cheap hotel sites ...

The ones above are near shopping, restaurants etc

Bon Voyage

In july we booked Pier 66 and tookRidesas to Miami ...easy peasy