Disembarking in Athens Help Needed

Summerprincess

We are will be on the Royal Princess disembarking in Athens on September 17. We are having an Uber car pick us up at 7:00 am to take us to our hotel in Athens so that we can go directly to the Acropolis and start sightseeing. Should we only take carry-on luggage so that we can easily and quickly disembark that early or can we keep a larger size suitcase with us as well to walk right off and up to a waiting car or is it quick and easy to collect a larger suitcase from Princess once we disembark. Any help for anyone who has done this in Athens would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone recommends a taxi rather than Uber there or has any other insight, please add it! Thank you!

I would confirm with Princess what time you will be allowed to disembark. Arrival does not mean that disembarkation starts immediately.

Do I need to wait until I am onboard to ask that? I have looked through everything in my account on Princess and it doesn't say anything about when we can disembark. Thank you!

Do I need to wait until I am onboard to ask that? I have looked through everything in my account on Princess and it doesn't say anything about when we can disembark. Thank you!

Probably. Thinking about arrivals in ft lauderdale, even if we dock at 6, they don't start disembarking for a bit, plus will you have customs to clear? Not sure they will turn up too early......you could try asking on a roll call for an upcoming cruise for someone to report back or hopefully someone who has recently ended a cruise in Athens will chime in.

What is the earliest flight you could book (if you were flying) in EZAir? That's a good indication -

Probably. Thinking about arrivals in ft lauderdale, even if we dock at 6, they don't start disembarking for a bit, plus will you have customs to clear? Not sure they will turn up too early......you could try asking on a roll call for an upcoming cruise for someone to report back or hopefully someone who has recently ended a cruise in Athens will chime in.

What is the earliest flight you could book (if you were flying) in EZAir? That's a good indication -

Thank you! I will try that. This is the first time that we haven't gone straight to the airport once we disembarked so I am trying to figure out the best way to handle it! Thanks again.

You can get early walk off which allows you to get off the earliest time available with all your luggage. I recently did this in Barcelona - we docked at 5am and I was off ship by 7:30 (see below for Barcelona warning!) but if memory serves - there were earlier debarkation times.

You'll love Athens - be prepared that the Acropolis can be very hot and crowded and the ground is very uneven. Also the ground is half gravel and half marble so it can be slippery - just take your time and you'll do fine. There is also a drink stand close to the exit - they have a wonderful lemonade - very refreshing.

side note - I would not recommend this in Barcelona as you have to go down an escalator...with your luggage - as a natural klutz - it was not a pretty picture.

You can get early walk off which allows you to get off the earliest time available with all your luggage. I recently did this in Barcelona - we docked at 5am and I was off ship by 7:30 (see below for Barcelona warning!) but if memory serves - there were earlier debarkation times.

You'll love Athens - be prepared that the Acropolis can be very hot and crowded and the ground is very uneven. Also the ground is half gravel and half marble so it can be slippery - just take your time and you'll do fine. There is also a drink stand close to the exit - they have a wonderful lemonade - very refreshing.

side note - I would not recommend this in Barcelona as you have to go down an escalator...with your luggage - as a natural klutz - it was not a pretty picture.

Thank you Corinda! Did you just keep all of your luggage with you rather than putting it out the night before? Am I correct thinking that I just to go the service desk once we board and ask for the early disembarkation time? Thank you for all of your kind help. You can tell I am a little worried about all of this.

I recently got off the Royal Princess in Athens and although I don't remember the exact time people started being allowed off the ship, I believe groups were being let off at least by 7:00 am, with walk offs being allowed off at the same time or earlier. A disembarkation questionnaire was given to each stateroom about 2 days into the cruise about time preferences, but I'm sure you could go to passenger services earlier to inquire about disembarkation times. You could also try calling Princess - they might be able to provide some info.

If you decide to leave your large luggage with Princess the night before you shouldn't have any trouble collecting it quickly the next morning - it was all really well organized and porters available if needed. It probably took less than 2 minutes to find my luggage at 7:30 am and might take you even less time if you get off earlier.

There were no customs to clear.

Another option to consider is taking the disembarkation tour in Athens. It's probably only a bit more expensive than doing your own thing with Uber/taxi, but you won't have to worry about rushing from the ship-hotel-Acropolis. The Acropolis will be busy even in the morning as there's usually more than 1 cruise ship docking + other tours, but the tour bus will drop you off at the end at either the Old Olympic Stadium or at the airport, whichever is closer to your hotel.

Edited by melia

Thank you Corinda! Did you just keep all of your luggage with you rather than putting it out the night before? Am I correct thinking that I just to go the service desk once we board and ask for the early disembarkation time? Thank you for all of your kind help. You can tell I am a little worried about all of this.

Yes keep your luggage and don't put them out the last night, a few days before Athens go to the service desk and ask for a "walk off" time, you'll have to handle your own bags but you'll be in the first groups allowed off.

I have good memories of easy an disembarkation in Athens, and particularly with Uber it should be a pretty smooth morning for you.. (Ps.. You'll love the Acropolis !!)

Srpilo

I recently got off the Royal Princess in Athens and although I don't remember the exact time people started being allowed off the ship, I believe groups were being let off at least by 7:00 am, with walk offs being allowed off at the same time or earlier. A disembarkation questionnaire was given to each stateroom about 2 days into the cruise about time preferences, but I'm sure you could go to passenger services earlier to inquire about disembarkation times. You could also try calling Princess - they might be able to provide some info.

If you decide to leave your large luggage with Princess the night before you shouldn't have any trouble collecting it quickly the next morning - it was all really well organized and porters available if needed. It probably took less than 2 minutes to find my luggage at 7:30 am and might take you even less time if you get off earlier.

There were no customs to clear.

Another option to consider is taking the disembarkation tour in Athens. It's probably only a bit more expensive than doing your own thing with Uber/taxi, but you won't have to worry about rushing from the ship-hotel-Acropolis. The Acropolis will be busy even in the morning as there's usually more than 1 cruise ship docking + other tours, but the tour bus will drop you off at the end at either the Old Olympic Stadium or at the airport, whichever is closer to your hotel.

Thank you Melia! This really helps. I feel much better now all of this now.

Yes keep your luggage and don't put them out the last night, a few days before Athens go to the service desk and ask for a "walk off" time, you'll have to handle your own bags but you'll be in the first groups allowed off.

I have good memories of easy an disembarkation in Athens, and particularly with Uber it should be a pretty smooth morning for you.. (Ps.. You'll love the Acropolis !!)

Srpilo

Thank you so very much Srpilo. Thank you for telling me to keep my luggage. I wondered if that would be okay. I am glad you have good memories of everything going smoothly in Athens and gave me sound advice to make mine go smoothly as well! Thanks again.