Why no room switching?

They ended up doing it, but they called it a "courtesy". There were other issues with my booking (I booked onboard and it wasn't really done properly) so once I spoke to a supervisor they even gave me a new cabin on a different deck to appease me. However, I was thrown by the "if we let you switch-it would be a one time courtesy, you cannot change your room again without a change in fare even if in the same category". I was literally asking to be just a few cabins down from the original cabin. I was slated to be in the very last room in the back of the boat. Perhaps it was just the one associate that had it wrong since it was so easily fixed (beyond my expectations) by a supervisor?

There you are! Welcome back. :)

Were the two cabins the identical category? For example, D2?

There you are! Welcome back. :)

Were the two cabins the identical category? For example, D2?

Yes, they were both E1, both 9th deck. I was told they would do it "this one time as a courtesy". I asked to speak with a supervisor and viola! Just by luck, I got moved to a D1 for all my troubles.

I have, several times in my cruising career, switched rooms within the same category. It has never been a problem before (though notably I haven't had to do it in a few years). This time, I was told that even though I was switching within the same category I could not do it without paying the new fare. Why? If it is the same room category on the same deck what difference does it make?

That's surprising. I recently moved from one E-2 cabin to another, and my fare didn't change at all.

They ended up doing it, but they called it a "courtesy". There were other issues with my booking (I booked onboard and it wasn't really done properly) so once I spoke to a supervisor they even gave me a new cabin on a different deck to appease me. However, I was thrown by the "if we let you switch-it would be a one time courtesy, you cannot change your room again without a change in fare even if in the same category". I was literally asking to be just a few cabins down from the original cabin. I was slated to be in the very last room in the back of the boat. Perhaps it was just the one associate that had it wrong since it was so easily fixed (beyond my expectations) by a supervisor?

Yes, they were both E1, both 9th deck. I was told they would do it "this one time as a courtesy". I asked to speak with a supervisor and viola! Just by luck, I got moved to a D1 for all my troubles.

Are you talking about your upcoming cruise on the Brilliance? If so there are no E cabins on the aft on deck 9. All the E cabins are forward.

There are aft facing D1 cabins that are designated for 2 person occupancy and then all the other D1 cabins on the side of the ship are designated for quad occupancy. Maybe this is why they wanted to charge you more.

It was not guarantee. I carefully booked a stateroom while on board that I would quite enjoy. I research location carefully and choose my room. Unfortunately, the room they gave me was for 3 pax. So, they switched me to another balcony (at the back of the ship). I was unsatisfied, but I took it because at that time there was only 1 balcony left (the inventory for this cruise is constantly changing). When another cabin in the same category came up I asked to move and was initially told no. I called the next day and a new cabin (a better cabin) had become available and they let me have that one as a "goodwill gesture".

It was not guarantee. I carefully booked a stateroom while on board that I would quite enjoy. I research location carefully and choose my room. Unfortunately, the room they gave me was for 3 pax. So, they switched me to another balcony (at the back of the ship). I was unsatisfied, but I took it because at that time there was only 1 balcony left (the inventory for this cruise is constantly changing). When another cabin in the same category came up I asked to move and was initially told no. I called the next day and a new cabin (a better cabin) had become available and they let me have that one as a "goodwill gesture".

Unfortunately you have to be very careful about booking a cabin that can sleep more people than you are booking into the cabin.

Hi Lovelylady226, Could you just give the cabin#'s you switched in each phase and that might help with following what happened.

It does sound like they did do a "special move" for you which is nice to know happens once in awhile.

Earlier today we just switched E2 cabins on the Freedom for our upcoming cruise for March after reading about a loud speaker on the balcony of the cabin we had previously booked (Thanks John and LaLa for that info and the photo of it). I had absolutely no issues changing cabins and no mention was made at any time of a price change.