Best camera for Alaska

Hi, I have a few point & shoot cameras and of course my smart phone but we will be cruising in Alaska next May and I want to take some spectacular pictures.

I have toyed with the thought of buying a DSLR but I am not that adept with taking pictures with them. I have also read about mirror-less cameras. Which are better?

Any an all help/advise will be appreciated.

TIA

To a large extent spectacular photos have more to do with the person behind the camera than with the camera itself. Unless you plan to process them or blow them up almost any camera will get your spectacular photos.

To a large extent spectacular photos have more to do with the person behind the camera than with the camera itself. Unless you plan to process them or blow them up almost any camera will get your spectacular photos.

Thank you for highlighting my previous post!

:)

Dave

On our last AK cruise I took a Canon 1DMKIII, 15/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, and a 580 flash. All I used the pics for was my FB page. Used the 15mm and iPhone (for panos) the most. On the next trip all I am taking is my iPhone and a GoPro.

I'm going to join in here. I have Canon T3i. I also have 3 lenses. I'm going on a cruise & land tour. I love to take pictures but hate lugging around the camera bag! I've considered a bridge camera before. I do have an old sony cyber shot also. Any thoughts on a good bridge? How is the zoom for wildlife? I'm not going to blow up & frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm going to join in here. I have Canon T3i. I also have 3 lenses. I'm going on a cruise & land tour. I love to take pictures but hate lugging around the camera bag! I've considered a bridge camera before. I do have an old sony cyber shot also. Any thoughts on a good bridge? How is the zoom for wildlife? I'm not going to blow up & frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hauled a ton of camera equipment around for years and have moved to a Sony mirrorless to reduce the load. Back when I carried the bigger camera, I found that taking a large bag to get there and then using a smaller sling bag and a cross-body strap like the BlackRapid series with a small selection of equipment selected for the day really cut down on the fatigue.

If you are set on ditching the DSLR and going to a bridge, take a look at my earlier post regarding mirrorless and bridge cameras: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50926693&postcount=3

I included links to reviews of what I feel to be the top contenders for reducing pack weight without sacrificing image quality.

Good luck. Camera shopping these days is brutal. The good news is the current offerings are all pretty amazing and the only possible pitfall is getting a camera unsuited for your needs.

Dave

Edited by pierces

I have to say Obi Wan Dave has his finger on taking great shots on cruises with minimal weight. I met him lugging around 7 pounds of equipment in Alaska and started to listening to his sweet whispering in my ear. My son now has all the large lugables and I have the Sony A6000 with several lens that weight less than that large lens I took last time. GO MIRRORLESS

John

And speaking of DPreview, check out the photos taken by one of our members ZackieDawg in the Sony Alpha / Nex E-mount (APS-C) Talk forum. You will see just what the 6000/6300 can do with birds and wildlife. Research on what to get, look at photos taken by others, money is nothing to waste

John

If you are set on ditching the DSLR and going to a bridge, take a look at my earlier post regarding mirrorless and bridge cameras: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50926693&postcount=3

Thank you Dave. I need to do my homework! I almost bought a bridge last year. I have a few months to think on it. On our last trip....I put my camera case in my carry on. (not much room for other things) It would not fit in the overhead and I had to unpack it in the isle! My husband was not happy about it! But I did get some nice photos especially with my wide angle lens!

Just a counter-point to the discussion: is the problem with carrying the camera bag while you're using the camera, or while you aren't using the camera? I know someone who supposedly had 25 camera bags and wasn't happy with any of them, but when she saw my backpack she knew what she needed. For me, it's more about what bag to use while using the camera, and frequently that's a Shootsac. It's a neoprene messenger bag for extra lenses, filters, and batteries. Folds up easily for travel.