Formal nights

Valentine's Mom

My husband and I will be taking our first Princess cruise next May. We haven't cruised in the past 15 years; but took three Celebrity cruises before then. We dressed up for Celebrity's formal nights and if I remember right, everyone else did also.

My question is: does anything extra or different happen in the main dining rooms on formal nights to make it more special; or is it more a matter of passengers simply dressing up?

Yes. Baked Alaska parade? :)

But you do appreciate, don't you, just how few "a dozen or more couples" is when looking at the entire MDR. That's three full 8-tops out of the entire dining room, assuming that they were all seated together. When spread apart, they are hardly noticeable. The simple truth is, while it is absolutely 100% undeniably true that one can get into the MDR on formal night without a jacket or tie, it is also absolutely 100% undeniably true that when one does, they will be in a minority. And from my experience, a small minority.

It certainly is a very small minority but as long as Princess allows it I'm totally satisfied. The only reason we go to the dining room on formal nights is because of the special menu that they don't offer elsewhere.

It is a fact that when everyone is dressed up it actually changes how they act and interact with others. When everyone is dressed formal a dinner becomes a celebration and people play grown ups for the night. People actually use better manners and are noticeably more polite. That is the power of clothing and how it changes the vibe of an environment. Do a little Google research. Enjoy the formal MDR experience while you can before cruising becomes another victim of Walmartification no more special then being on a floating Motel 6.

I never thought of that outfit. I'd wear it to the square dance... but not on a cruise for dinner. Wheee haw!

Last cruise on Celebrity to New England, there was on Formal Night an 8 top, with 5 men, 3 women. The men, all of them, wearing well worn denim Farmer John overalls, and plaid flannel work shirts. At least the women wore jeans, and denim blouses. :). They looked like they just off the farm. :p

I could care less, but I overheard the PAX at the 2 top next to me, a mature Brit couple (70's or 80'), btw, man in tux, his lady in an evening gown, speak in a loud voice how they were offended by the way these "American PAX were disrespectful, and not following the dress rules." :eek: I just shrugged, and laughed. :p

So, just wondering, if it's a generational thing, like old people remembering the good ole days, and wanting to hold on to tradition when all PAX dressed formally every night for dinner? Or maybe it's cultural? Like men in tuxedos and women in swanky long evening gowns. Sort of like how PAX dressed on the Titanic? Or maybe now on upscale Ocean Lines, like Cunard?

No matter, enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Well Im 52 and my first cruise was to Alaska on the original Sun Princess in 82. So not old enough to remember the glory days. I just think its about respect for your fellow cruisers. Just because a wedding is on your day off would you go dressed in the same clothes as you would a baseball game? Would you wear your day off clothes to go to a funeral or church? I doubt it because you have respect for the occasion. Formal night formal wear simple.

Jimmy's photo of his lovely daughter reminds me of how my daughter (who had avoided the MDR on her three previous cruises) packed skirts and dresses along her other clothing on our most recent cruise. She was 15 on that one, and it seemed that many of her peers on that cruise were indeed dressing to impress, especially on New Years' Eve. She knows that there are occasions that call for dressing up. In fact, today she told me she's thinking about getting a really nice suit for internship interviews (she's now 19) and finds herself checking out that kind of wear.

The nice thing about Princess is that there are many different dining venues, including poolside ones. If you don't feel like dressing up, you can still get dinner elsewhere.

The nice thing about Princess is that there are many different dining venues' date=' including poolside ones. If you don't feel like dressing up, you can still get dinner elsewhere.[/quote']

That's very true but the temptation between dining on Filet mignon vs. pizza & hot dogs or meat loaf is hard to resist and since they only require casual clothing anyway why not go for the better meal.

And don't forget the Normal Love desserts- only available in the dining room.

Edited by floridalover5623

My wife HATES formal nights (dressing up) however after we get pics back from formal night my wife is like wow I love this pic of us. I on the other hand LOVE formal nights it's my favorite part of the cruise. Since I wear the pants, we do what I say....LoL:eek:.

Geesh! I almost got hit by that dish that just flew by me!

My husband and I will be taking our first Princess cruise next May. We haven't cruised in the past 15 years; but took three Celebrity cruises before then. We dressed up for Celebrity's formal nights and if I remember right, everyone else did also.

My question is: does anything extra or different happen in the main dining rooms on formal nights to make it more special; or is it more a matter of passengers simply dressing up?

Food is usually somewhat nicer.

We are new to Princess and wondering if formal nigh dress codes are enforced? We are very hopeful! Thanks

Really a crap shoot here. I've seen it rigidly enforced one night & the next night shorts & such. Seems to be at the whim of the Maître D.

It is a fact that when everyone is dressed up it actually changes how they act and interact with others. When everyone is dressed formal a dinner becomes a celebration and people play grown ups for the night. People actually use better manners and are noticeably more polite. That is the power of clothing and how it changes the vibe of an environment. Do a little Google research. Enjoy the formal MDR experience while you can before cruising becomes another victim of Walmartification no more special then being on a floating Motel 6.

So people who do not dress up on formal night do not act "grown up"? Wonder wgat your definition of "grown up" is? i love how some try to demean othets into doing what they want as always happens about this time on dress code postings.

So people who do not dress up on formal night do not act "grown up"? Wonder wgat your definition of "grown up" is? i love how some try to demean othets into doing what they want as always happens about this time on dress code postings.

Being "grown up" is playing by the rules and not insisting on changing them because you don't feel like it. It's a shame the cruise lines don't enforce the dress code. If they didn't allow passengers to enter the dining rooms dressed inappropriately it would keep the atmosphere of a special occasion. Case in point--if you cruise on Cunard you dress for dinner (every night) or you don't dine in the dining room or go anywhere on the ship except the buffet. I don't think all cruise lines should require formal every night, but once or twice a cruise raises the cruise experience above the ordinary. And yes, the way people dress definitely does influence the way they behave.