New to NCL

jems76

Hi, I am new to NCL and would like to know a few tips please?

1. What currency is used on board Epic?

2. What plug sockets does Epic have? US or European?

3. Are the shore excursions worthwhile compared to DIY?

4. Any other tips for a newbie? :)

Thank you

1. US dollars. You don't need cash though, everything is charged to your room key. You must provide a card (or cash, but a credit card is best) on check in and all charges will be made to that card at the end of the cruise.

2. There is both US and Euro sockets in the cabin. Our inside had 2 of each, other cabins may vary. We just used the euro ones as they have the correct voltage for UK appliances.

3. This depends on the port and where you want to go. Some ports are simple to DIY, others involve longer distances or more complicated transport so the cruise excursion is a better option. The cruise ship excursions are generally more expensive but add a layer of safety if you are worried about returning to the ship on time.

4. Read my review linked in my signature as too many to say here! :) Also join your Roll Call (use the Roll Call Tool linked in the top bar of this website) for the cruise to meet others cruising the same time as you and share tips about ports etc.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

You can do exploring on your own, or you can do your research and find an excursion company to offer you basically the same thing the ship is offering at a lower cost. NCL uses local excursion providers and the marks up the cost from 50-100%.

I, quite by accident had arranged an excursion for my family a few years ago and came to find out during a presentation on the ship for that city that it was being done by the same company used by NCL. They, by agreement, cannot advertise that. My cost was half the cost the ship was charging.

4. Read my review linked in my signature as too many to say here! :) Also join your Roll Call (use the Roll Call Tool linked in the top bar of this website) for the cruise to meet others cruising the same time as you and share tips about ports etc.

Thanks for your Epic review.

US Dollars

There is a US and European socket inside the cabinet in the desk. Bring a EU to UK converter. Also, since the plug is inside the cabinet, we usually have a non-surge protected power strip to bring the power to the desktop.

If you are doing the med, the ports are a long way from major cities like Rome. With lots of traffic. If an NCL shore excursion gets stuck in traffic, the ship will wait for you. If you do a DYI and get stuck in traffic, you will see the ship sailing away without you.

The Epic is a great ship. We've sailed on it 5 times (twice in the Med).

Thank you

Enjoy your cruise.

ok thank you. Do you know if the drinks in the coffee shop are included in the ultimate drinks package?

Nope. Specialty coffee drinks are not included in the beverage promotions. The only 'coffee' drink you can get would be something like an Irish Coffee.

Unlike Royal Caribbean, I've never seen an option to add them either.

Welcome to NCL! The Epic is a great ship. I'm a big advocate of figuring out what you might want to do in the ports you go to, and see what fits your needs the best. If that means doing a ship-sponsored excursion, doing a DIY trip, or finding a third-party excursion, do what you want to do. I have done all three at different ports, and never regretted my decisions. You just have to be more careful with scheduling, and ensuring you get back to the boat on time when you don't go with the ship excursion.

While DIY may be cheaper, there are some disadvantages too.

You can look-up and go to a port attraction like cultural visits. You may be able to get there and see whatever landmarks there are. Yes you may have been there. But you may miss out appreciating more the significance of the structure in relation to, say, history, that a tour guide provides.

Thank you

Hi

First of all EPIC is one of my favourite ships of all time - love her or hate her - we are def in the love dept (and we have just completed two Celebrity Solstice class cruises). Epic is Epic!

PLUGS - yes there are euro and usa sockets - so you can bring either or both - what I do is bring UK three way strip extension adaptors - and use on euro/us socket to the strip. This is for charging ipods etc. Note you cannot bring a power surge strip it will be confiscated.

Tips : Your UK hairdryer and straighteners will NOT work - not even with an adaptor. HOWEVER NCL have the best in cabin hair dryers I have ever seen. I am OCD on hairdryers and own a USA dryer for travel - I don't need to bring it when I cruise NCL - theirs' are fantastic. Travel straighteners with dual voltage will work but UK dryers will curl up and fry ;)

Epic is a great ship (have I mentioned that!) - where are you cruising from/to etc?

No kettles but there are coffee makers. You can pre book your morning cuppa via room service.

When you order your travel currency - order some single dollar bills - these are so handy for room service, baggage handlers and any other folks you feel deserve that extra wee tip. I always get a few hundred in singles purely for that reason when we travel.

If you are in the med and have euros - staff will be happy to take them too - can always spend in port -

Leave the £1 coins at home though :)

Have a great trip!

Hi

Tips : Your UK hairdryer and straighteners will NOT work - not even with an adaptor. HOWEVER NCL have the best in cabin hair dryers I have ever seen. I am OCD on hairdryers and own a USA dryer for travel - I don't need to bring it when I cruise NCL - theirs' are fantastic. Travel straighteners with dual voltage will work but UK dryers will curl up and fry ;)

I have just been researching this before packing for my cruise in October and even information from NCL is contradictory, so now I am really confused.

In FAQ on the NCL Website I found this item:

Will my electrical appliances work on board?

Both 110 volts and 220 volts AC sockets are provided, but you will need an adaptor for British appliances. Hairdryers are provided in all staterooms & suites.

In the downloadable booklet "NCL Welcome Aboard" it states:

ELECTRICAL CONVERTERS

The electrical current on board is 110 volts AC, the same as most American households. Some high-voltage hair dryers, electric rollers and electric razors may require a converter.

I took the first one to mean all that was necessary to use UK appliances would be an adapter to enable a three pin UK plug to be used in the EU socket. But the second item seems to contradict this by stating the power available is 110 volts (no mention of 220 volts power) and a 'converter' is required. Can anyone confirm exactly which is likely to be available on NCL Jade. :confused:

I have only used the plugs for charging kindles, phones, ipods and they work fine.

As said previously any high power hair straighteners etc will not work.

You will need either a UK to Europe 2 pin adapter or UK to USA adapter. The USA ones scare the life out of me as they never look safe!

You will love the Epic we have been on her twice previously and are due to go again in just over two weeks.

I had a look at the shore excursions on NCL and they are really expensive. There are lots of companies that work to the ships schedule. For example we are doing a guided tour to Pompeii We are paying 51 Euros so £43 ish. NCL wanted £89 for a tour that looks exactly the same!

You don't actually need cash on the boat unless you want to gamble or tip extra.

We too will also be 1st time cruisers with NCL on the POA next Feb. We have $400 OBC's and was wondering if that can be used to pay anything that was charged to our shipboard account or are their restrictions ?

It depends on how you got the OBC. If you purchased it or it's a gift from your TA, then as I understand it you can use it for anything on board, including the DSC. If it's nonrefundable from NCL, there are restrictions.

It depends on how you got the OBC. If you purchased it or it's a gift from your TA, then as I understand it you can use it for anything on board, including the DSC. If it's nonrefundable from NCL, there are restrictions.

Thanks for the reply. It is from our TA and as you explained how it works is similar to Princess cruises.

I have only used the plugs for charging kindles, phones, ipods and they work fine.

As said previously any high power hair straighteners etc will not work.

You will need either a UK to Europe 2 pin adapter or UK to USA adapter. The USA ones scare the life out of me as they never look safe!

You will love the Epic we have been on her twice previously and are due to go again in just over two weeks.

I had a look at the shore excursions on NCL and they are really expensive. There are lots of companies that work to the ships schedule. For example we are doing a guided tour to Pompeii We are paying 51 Euros so £43 ish. NCL wanted £89 for a tour that looks exactly the same!

You don't actually need cash on the boat unless you want to gamble or tip extra.

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

We are sailing to Italy too, what company have you booked your excursion with please? I also thought NCL's trips were really expensive in comparison to other companies.

p.s. i loved your review!

Thank you! :)

Any straighteners should work in the EU sockets really so you should be fine. It's the US sockets that are tricky as they have the wrong voltage so the straighteners don't get hot enough! Not sure how I'll cope on my next cruise on the Escape, I guess I'll have to embrace the frizz...

Edited by SquishTheWhale