2016/2017 Price Cutting

mrlevin

Meanwhile, I wonder why we had to pay so far in advance? Is this a new thing? Cruise starts on January 17th, and final payment was August 18th, five months prior.

Wendy,

About three or four years ago, Regent started requiring final payment 150 days in advance for cruises longer than 14 nights.

DaveFr, is there a discount for paying at that time similar to the choice of paying early on Crystal?

Marq, I have just spent a lot of time looking at a variety of cruises to Europe for the summer of 2017. I have never seen prices change so quickly, itineraries be changed, ships be moved out of Europe, etc. and think this volatility is here for all or most of the cruise lines over the next few years. We ended up booking a cruise on Oceania because the itinerary appears to be one that will stay the same, the perks offered were good, the Zika virus does not appear to be a problem, and the price was in line with "mainstream" cruise lines.

My biggest concern now is not the fluctuating prices; it is that "safe" ports will become overrun with cruise ship passengers/tourists (just like me :).

Edited by mariners

Wendy,

About three or four years ago, Regent started requiring final payment 150 days in advance for cruises longer than 14 nights.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

DaveFR, is there a discount for paying at that time similar to the choice of paying early on Crystal?

Yeah right, in your dreams, I'm thinking!

Code red on regent is when a certain percent ( I think it may be 2%) of passengers in a certain time period come down with gastrointestinal symptoms. Usually comes onboard with somebody who spent time in the local cities prior to the cruise. But it spreads. So, the ship goes on a soft lockdown - mandatory hand sterilizers, no serving yourself at buffets, no table salt and pepper shakers, no cookies in open areas, can't get your own coffee/tea, no nibbles in the bars/lounges etc. PRudent measures, mandated by rules and regulations but it becomes very tedious and disruptive to the pleasures of a cruise if in effect for more than a few days.

It is not unique to Regent - all cruise lines experience it. Isuspect it happens less on Regent than most cruise lines but it is still a major inconvenience. Better than the alternative.

Marq, sorry for taking this thread off topic, but I was interested if Regent offers an incentive for people to pay early - earlier than the 150 days. I understand that this is not the case on Regent.

I don't blame Regent, or any other cruise line, for wanting passengers to pay in full as I remember the days when people booked cruises and then cancelled the cruise quite close, IMO, to the departure date.

I also believe that those people who book early should get the best prices/cabin location/etc., and that any future "sales" should provide the benefits to those who book early to encourage people to book early.