Corfu

treesah

We'll be in Corfu (end of May '17) from 12:30 to 6:30 pm. What would you do in such a short period of time? We've been to Greece several times but Corfu is a new island for us. We're interested in history, architecture, food, ouzo and beautiful scenery. TIA

We'll be in Corfu (end of May '17) from 12:30 to 6:30 pm. What would you do in such a short period of time? We've been to Greece several times but Corfu is a new island for us. We're interested in history, architecture, food, ouzo and beautiful scenery. TIA

we used corfutaxitours for a great tour of the island

I've been to Corfu a couple of times; it's got some pretty scenery but for the short period of time you'll be there it may be better just to plan on staying in Corfu town. It's easy to sightsee on your own there.

There are some interesting buildings, a grand esplanade a la other European cities, and some sites worth visiting. One that doesn't get enough recommendations, in my opinion, is the lovely icon museum, located in the Kyra Antivouniotissa church, which itself dates from the 15th century.

http://www.antivouniotissamuseum.gr/en

Also worth a visit is the archaeological museum.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the exact time at Corfu on our recent MSC Orchestra. We booked half day private Yacht tour at http://www.dailycruisescorfu.com/cruises.html and it turned out to the highlight of the trip and all the kids in our group thanked me for planning this as they got bored and tired after Venice, Athens, Santorini, Katakolon (Olympia), etc and the heat and walking we made them go through. Even us adults loved it.

Check out some pictures I took on the boat tour. After eating at Venice and the lousy cruise ship food we felt we had the best food on this boat trip.

Corfu town is fascinating loads to see just meandering around. If you want stunning views get a taxi to Paleokastritsa. Probably one of the most stunning views and small town on the island plus a beautiful monastery to look round. Another alternative is a cab to Kalami, where Lawrence Durrell wrote Prosperos cell. Great sandy bay and the house is a taverna now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, kits. We'll be sailing on the MSC Musica. How did you enjoy the experience on the MSC Orchestra?

Frankly, I wasn't expecting the cruise experience to be great with 6 ports, tendering, short time at ports. We choose the cruise for it's ports and we had awesome time everywhere.

Ship was OK. Felt very crowded as we went during peak season. Breakfast and lunches are insanely crowded in the buffet. If you have time, better to go to main dinning rooms for those meals. Since we are rushing to get off the ship most of the time, we went for buffet. Entertainment was good on some nights.

Dinner menu is same as in buffet and it really is waste of time dressing to eat in there when the buffet area is all empty for dinner. You can enjoy nice scenery and enjoy casual dinner there. Also, they don't serve water in MDR. You have to buy bottled water. To get better experience in MDR we requested the manager for Indian food every night. So, we had something different and specially made every night. If we didn't like what they served we always has the option to get that days menu as well.

Frankly, I wasn't expecting the cruise experience to be great with 6 ports, tendering, short time at ports. We choose the cruise for it's ports and we had awesome time everywhere.

Ship was OK. Felt very crowded as we went during peak season. Breakfast and lunches are insanely crowded in the buffet. If you have time, better to go to main dinning rooms for those meals. Since we are rushing to get off the ship most of the time, we went for buffet. Entertainment was good on some nights.

Dinner menu is same as in buffet and it really is waste of time dressing to eat in there when the buffet area is all empty for dinner. You can enjoy nice scenery and enjoy casual dinner there. Also, they don't serve water in MDR. You have to buy bottled water. To get better experience in MDR we requested the manager for Indian food every night. So, we had something different and specially made every night. If we didn't like what they served we always has the option to get that days menu as well.

Thanks for the information. My DH will be very unhappy about having to buy water in the dining room. I assume that we'll be seated with other English speaking passengers? We enjoy socializing and being seated at a large table. We were on a Costa cruise some years ago and they seated us with other English speaking passengers and we had a blast.

I agree with some of the other writers that given your short visit to Corfu, you should probably spend your time in Corfu Town. If you are able to walk a mile or so, you can enjoy a nice walk there along the oceanfront from the cruise port. Alternatively, there is a local bus you can catch... and of course taxis are available.

There's plenty to see in Corfu Town. The Old Fortress is worth exploring and you can enjoy a great view of the city from there.

http://CorfuGreece.ca

• 2 weeks later...

I'm appreciating this thread and hoping that someone can tell me which is more interesting/scenic: Paleokastritsa or Lakona?

Also: What is Acharavi like? Worth seeing, or better to spend the time in the town of Corfu?

Also: Is the Monastery of the Virgin worth seeing. Is it quite scenic?

Btw, I seem to be among the few people who've posted who likes Achilles Palace. I had little interest in the palace, but I very much enjoyed the gardens and the setting.

Thanks for any information.

Edited by poss