Observations, and special reunions

koalapanda

Athens to Vrnice July/August 2016

We started our first reunion spending 5 days on Patmos Greece with our dear Greek friends a friendship of over 50 years. This was one highlight of our 35 beautiful sunny summer days in Europe.

Our second reunionwas with Seabourn after three years absence. It was exciting to back and overall our 21 days most enjoyable.

Staff and Crew were outstanding.Chef Jes and his team's Cuisine delicious. Everyday top quality produce of amazing variety was served.

Keller Menu's hit and miss, wasted talent, wasted energy and resources thrown into this brand.

Poerts as you know were cancelledfor visiting Turkey, understandably.Seabourn administration ashore leaving decisions until the last breath. Replacement Ports Limassol and Paphos, oh dear, very poor substitutes.

As Istanbulwas no loger an embarkation Port, Pireaus was the trifector Port we inherited. We underdtand this is not the norm, that in these times we must expect and accept changes. Making the best of this situation was easy we visited past favourite spots in Athens and the wonderful New Acropolis Museum. Seabourn also arranged an interesting tour to Corinth with lunch included.

As guests it is initally disapointing to have itinerary changes. However imagine what it is gor the staff and crew to deal with. The Hotel Director and staff were magnificent. They invisibly and calmly pulled together to make our Cruise pleasurable.

Twenty One days of being spoilt is so decadent. We loved it and sincerely thank the "Odyssey Team" for your care, service and being delightful company every single day.

We obseved and agreed that, the difference between three, seven day Cruises or twenty one days. Compared to a previous Port to Port 20 day Cruise the ambiance aboard is quite different.

One negative that disappointed us was the Seabourn Loyalty Club Savers policies that seven day Cruisers have the same benefits as twenty one day Cruisers. (eg Club Benefits). We were not expecting benefits times three but a little extra laundry or Wifi would have been appreciated. This needs to be reassessed, some good will for loyalty please Carnival.

It is such a shame that we cannot be assured onshore admin' are performing to the same high standards as those in service on these beautiful vessels .

Ending my epistle on a positive, there were many many memorable moments. Beautiful Ports and picturesque sights and our Cc friends have covered these in great posts. Thank you Techno and Rols etc, no need for duplication.

Venice was the finale to our fabulous holiday. August temperatures in Venice were a little cooler than usual allowing us to extensively wander once again this beautiful City. Being guests at Hotel Palazzo Abadessa, provided a restful haven refreshing us for our long journey home.

Since arriving home we, viewing our photographs, conversations and much reminiscing is a joy. We feel so lucky to be able to have such wonderful experiences. The desire to Cruise again with Seabourn is strong. This we will ponder at lesuire and wait for a journey that tickles our fancy.

It was lovely to meet you both after our long build up on the roll call board and we concur with everything you say.

Similarly to you, we will be looking at an interesting itinerary for our next Seabourn cruise although for the foreseeable future the Eastern Med (as far as cruising is concerned) will probably be put on hold as I do like to know where I am going and the likelihood of ports being changed in that area is pretty high.

Quite fancy the Western med next summer but I might need to pack my burkini if we stop in Nice!

Pattie, you are not alone regarding your choice of your next Cruise. Our Greek friends are very concerned at events in Turkey and their close proximity. Western Med on Seabourn is super. We would be happy to Cruise these waters again. Great Chef's tour in Syracause. (Corfu was great also)

It was lovely to meet you. I am in awe of your energy, as I did watch you powering off, to tick your to see and do list. Never mind a bicycle I think you walked your tootsies off.

Unfortunately regarding the Club benefits we are Silver. The lovely admin' staff on board Odyssey were sympathetic but their hands were tied

Edited by koalapanda

Jenny,

Thank you for posting your thoughts on your recent cruise. I am sorry about all your itinerary changes -- especially the Athens overload. But all in all I am glad you had a wonderful cruise and enjoyed good weather in Venice. Oh, I second your comment about the difference between back to back cruises and a continuous cruise of the same length. Not only are the passengers different but it seems like there is a different rhythm with the crew as they have to hit rewind every 7 days. Happy planning of your next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for your reply Chairsin. It is reassuring to know that expert travellers like yourself and Techo123 notice the differences in Cruise types...

At present I am pondering next years seasons , maybe a beautiful itinerary will trigger my craving for a Seabourn sailing.

Edited by koalapanda

Could you tell me please, did Jez say if he will be on board for some time?

Thanks

Currently on Odyssey although, sadly, disembarking on Saturday. Jes left in Athens a couple of weeks ago. We have Viktor, born in Germany but lived about 20+ years in South Africa. His offerings have been everything we have come to expect of Seabourn.

Tonight is Chef's Market in the Colonnade using huge whole tuna, octopus, squid, olives, feta, salads and various other goodies we bought shopping with him in Corfu today.

Sure you will enjoy his food.

Margbem - seems like we shall miss each other once again! Cannot even offer to hang around in the terminal to meet for a coffee as we have an 1130 flight. Hope you all have a great cruise.

Does anyone know where Chef Jes will be next? We had the great fortune to meet him and was very impressed with not only his food but his management and social skills. With all the work that must go into running the food operations he still managed to make the rounds every evening and make every guest feel special.

And since you all seem to have the inside scoop...can anyone tell me if David E Green is still with Seabourn and on which ship?

I never used to give much thought to the officers and crew on the mainline ships but once you've met the wonderful crew of a Seabourn yacht, you tend to have your favorites right? :D

Currently on Odyssey although, sadly, disembarking on Saturday. Jes left in Athens a couple of weeks ago. We have Viktor, born in Germany but lived about 20+ years in South Africa. His offerings have been everything we have come to expect of Seabourn.

Tonight is Chef's Market in the Colonnade using huge whole tuna, octopus, squid, olives, feta, salads and various other goodies we bought shopping with him in Corfu today.

Sure you will enjoy his food.

Many thanks for the update, pity we have missed Jez, we have been fortunate to have sailed with him a few times.

Enjoy your last few days.