Fake eyelashes: Everyday now?

shipgeeks

I Have done extensions for years. I love them. I hear all the time how great my lashes look. Most people are shocked when I tell them that they are extensions.

I have tried eyelash extensions a couple of times, at two different highly recommended spas. They looked great and very natural (like the lashes I once had), but sometimes bits of glue really irritated my eyes. Not an allergy, but like grit just under the edge of the lid.

Can you feel that yours are there?

To answer your original question, no you won't be a plain Jane. The vast majority of cruisers will not have fake eyelashes, especially given the demographic common on cruises.

I've very seldom seen, or at least noticed, fake eyelashes on a cruise.

It's a result of Instagram/selfies more than anything. And yeah, if women of "our" generation (I'll say 40 and up?) were ravaged with ego problems over how we looked, I would NOT want to be a teenage girl right now.

That said, I'd wear them if I could, but my hands aren't steady enough, and in any case I have yet to find an eye makeup style that doesn't add a couple of years to my face, so I kind of gave up on the whole Sephora lifestyle. :)

Totally agree about not wanting to be a teen now! Between everyone having cell phones with cameras and the latest trend being what you must look like I would have never made it to high school before noon.

I noticed on our last cruise a lot of women who were doing the smokey eye and at a certain age it does just add years and exhaustion to many an otherwise well preserved face. Since it was more of an upscale expedition type cruise I scaled way back on what I took along as far as make up and am glad I did. After 30 odd days I found I felt younger and my eyes looked brighter with just a good coating of mascara and using an eyeliner angled brush to apply a MAC velvet finish bright medium blue eyes shadow just above my upper eye lashes and below the outer half of my lower ones. Sort of like a soft liner rather than my normal kohl pencil. No other shadow above the lash area. I do use a bit of eyebrow pencil that I apply with short strokes to fill in a bit where age has thinned a few then a quick brush to blend it. I'm not into the stenciled eyebrow look myself. I must have done something right. For the first time in years my husband found the BTO night candid photos and said he was buying them because I looked beyond beautiful. ��

Edited by NorthernLite

• 3 weeks later...

I love the look of fake lashes (if applied properly), but I can't wear them. I wore drug store cheapies once for a Halloween costume and they drove me crazy. i could never wear them every day.

I'm lucky to have nice lashes, and I'm constantly in search of the next perfect mascara. My eyes are my best feature so i like to play them up. I agree with the person who recommended Benefit's They're Real. There are other good drug store brands too.

But if one is wearing fakes, please apply them properly. They have to be curled/pressed in with your natural lashes, or you get the side view of two lash lines and you look like a clown.

I've looked at the lash extensions but the maintenance is too pricy for my liking.

People talk about "every-day" looks, but my every day might be very different from yours. Depending on your line of work, you might need to be more made up than the average retiree, or stay at home mom. i'm fortunate enough to have a job where I can be as dressy or casual as I want to, and not look out of place.

• 3 weeks later...