Train from Venice to Civitavecchia

barb1

We will be ending a cruise on Vision of the Seas in Venice and taking the train to Civitavecchia. The ship is due into port at 6:45 AM. The trains leave pretty much every hour. Thinking of booking the 10:30 high speed train to Rome and then the regional train to Civitavecchia. Would the 10:30 train be cutting it too close? This will be our first time in Venice so any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you could make a train around 9:30ish. I wouldn't push too hard for one earlier than that.

It is about 3.5 hours Venice to Rome. Then transfer, and catch the Regionale. The times on the Regionale vary...so you need to research that on trenitaly.com. You can see current schedules, not more than 4 months in advance.

What time do you sail? Remember, you will have an all aboard 90 to 120 minutes prior to that, and you have to get from the train station to your ship.

You should probably consider a private car transfer from Rome Termini to your ship, if you have a scheduled sailing at 5pm, and take the 10:30 train..

Edited by CruiserBruce

We wanted to book the earliest train we could from Venice so that we will arrive early in Civitavecchia. Hoping to use the laundromat there and then have a relaxing dinner and evening.

We will be spending the night in Civitavecchia before we board the ship the next day so that end shouldn't be a problem, but thank you for your helpful suggestions.

Since we are spending the night in Civitavecchia would you still try for the 9:30 train?

Thank you CruiserBruce. I appreciate your help.

If you're planning to get the train from the Santa Lucia train station, it's really not far from the port, although a bit cumbersome to get there via People Mover and then walking (over a bridge) to the station. Still, easily doable in time to make the 9:30 train assuming your ship arrives on time or only a bit late.

It may be easier to get a taxi at the port and take it to the Mestre station. The high speed trains all stop at Mestre as well as Santa Lucia, but a land taxi can take you right to the station.

We wanted to book the earliest train we could from Venice so that we will arrive early in Civitavecchia. Hoping to use the laundromat there and then have a relaxing dinner and evening.

We will be spending the night in Civitavecchia before we board the ship the next day so that end shouldn't be a problem, but thank you for your helpful suggestions.

Since we are spending the night in Civitavecchia would you still try for the 9:30 train?

Thank you CruiserBruce. I appreciate your help.

I think I would still try the 9:30 train, so that there was time for the other activities.

Thanks for clarifying that you weren't getting on another ship the same day. That is a key point.

Luggage was our biggest issue when we took the trains as you describe. Depends how much you have, but we had one big suitcase each plus hand luggage and it was a challenge. CruiseMom's advice is a good idea, for leaving Venice.

We also had a lot of challenges on the leg from Rome to Civitavecchia. By the time we found our train, the car was already crammed with cruisers, with their luggage piled all over the aisle. People tried to help, but we had to climb over suitcases and drag ours along to get to our seats halfway along the car. It wasn't anybody's fault, as there was nowhere else to put the stuff. At Civitavecchia, it was necessary to haul the suitcases down a long flight of stairs, walk through the tunnel under the tracks, and then haul them up another flight to ground level on the station side. There was no help available. (Please, no lectures about travelling light. We had ground travel before and after the cruise.)

Next time, with big luggage, I'd happily pay for a taxi or limo from Rome to Civitavacchia. So for us, the trains all worked out fine, but the luggage was a nightmare.

A regional train from Rome to Civitavecchia with luggage presents several problems, not the least of which is the track location about three blocks away from the main trackhead, where the train from Venice will arrive.

If you can arrange the timing it's far more comfortable, although a tad more expensive, to take an IC or a Frecce train from Rome to Civitavecchia. These trains leave from the main trackhead and you have an assigned seat.

That same 9:25 AM departure if matched with a Frecce from Rome to Civitavecchia gets you there at 2:37 PM. If matched with a regional train you get there at 3:04 PM. The price difference at full fare is 89 euro for the regional connection and 94 with the Frecce. It hardly seems worth it for the extra schelping and uncomfortable conditions on the regional just to save five euro.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thank you for the info on the IC or Frecce train from Rome to Civitavecchia euro cruiser. I didn't realize that was another way to go. Although we have been to Rome several times, we have never used the train system so it is all new to us. Thanks again.

We recently traveled from Venice to Florence - spent a few days then went on to Civitavecchia for the night before our cruise. Because of the size of the main train station in Rome, we decided to switch in Pisa (still a Frescia train), which is smaller and more manageable. The connection in Rome was only 17 minutes, and from all I've read on the boards it is quite a haul from one end of the station to another. Pisa was smaller and much easier, though we still had the issue of dragging luggage up and down stairs. I think you will find that in many stations though. Not sure what the connections are like for Venice to Pisa then a switch to Civitavecchia, but we found the train to be practically empty and a very pleasant ride down the coast. Food for thought anyway.

Thank you KiwiGal117. We appreciate your thoughts on an alternate plan. Sounds like it was very easy and relaxing compared to the experiences some others have had. Maybe we will look into it for a future trip since we are now all set with this one. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk