Change of Mariner status during cruise

Mrs. Walkinman

We are thinking of taking a three week or so cruise at the end of this year, and most of them are actually a one week, and a two week cruise packaged together to make three weeks total.

We are 14 days from reaching 4 star Mariner status, 7 days if we book a suite.

I know on regular cruises that you do not get updated Mariner status until the completion of the cruise, but how about these patched up type cruises? Would we have to book them as separate segments (and pay more to do so) to get the higher status for the latter part of the trip?

We are thinking of taking a three week or so cruise at the end of this year, and most of them are actually a one week, and a two week cruise packaged together to make three weeks total.

I know on regular cruises that you do not get updated Mariner status until the completion of the cruise, but how about these patched up type cruises? Would we have to book them as separate segments (and pay more to do so) to get the higher status for the latter part of the trip?

I think if you book as 21 days, like we have on the Eurodam on Dec 10th, you would not get the perks until your next cruise, jmo. However, as you say, if you book separate with different booking numbers then it's possible to gain the 4* perks. But in my opinion the perks would not benefit the cost outlay booking separate, again jmo. We'll see what others say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mllewis48

I have had roll call members get their Mariner Status changed at the end of the first segment of a Back to Back. (Yes, they were booked as separate cruise).

It has to be sea day credits only (which yours are).

They called the Mariner's society, got a confirming email, printed off their Mariner status showing the # of days and then visited the front desk and all went smoothly.

Now, this could vary ship by ship of course, but they had their ducks lined up.

So, it IS possible but, what is the difference between the cost of the B2B and the collectors' cruise? The only perks that really make a difference are the free laundry and the additional 25% off wine packages and specialty dining.

You'd have to do some serious math to determine if paying the extra fare is worth it after you confirm with the Mariners' society to make sure it can still be done and is possible in your scenario. JMO.

Of course, if you book it as a Collectors' you will have to wait for your next cruise to get the 4* credits ;)

Edited by kazu

If your first segment is 14 days, you can go to the Front Desk and ask to be upgraded to 4* for the next segment. The Front Desk will contact the Mariner Society at headquarters to confirm you only needed 14 days. Once they get confirmation, they will issue you a new keycard showing 4* on it and you will get free laundry on the next segment as well as all the other perks.

It doesn't matter whether you book under one or two booking numbers. To be safe, you should contact the Mariner Society to confirm your situation. They will tell you what to do (essentially what I just said).

I know, because I was in your situation on one of my cruises. Only Sea Days will count. Your spending bonus, and if you booked a Suite, will be added after your cruise is complete.:)

If your first segment is 14 days, you can go to the Front Desk and ask to be upgraded to 4* for the next segment. The Front Desk will contact the Mariner Society at headquarters to confirm you only needed 14 days. Once they get confirmation, they will issue you a new keycard showing 4* on it and you will get free laundry on the next segment as well as all the other perks.

It doesn't matter whether you book under one or two booking numbers. To be safe, you should contact the Mariner Society to confirm your situation. They will tell you what to do (essentially what I just said).

I know, because I was in your situation on one of my cruises. Only Sea Days will count. Your spending bonus, and if you booked a Suite, will be added after your cruise is complete.:)

So, you were able to do it on a Collectors' cruise after the first segment was complete? Interesting as our roll call members were told that they had to book as B2B. Definitely the OP needs to call the Mariners' society.

That's good to know :). Thanks.

So, you were able to do it on a Collectors' cruise after the first segment was complete? Interesting as our roll call members were told that they had to book as B2B. Definitely the OP needs to call the Mariners' society.

That's good to know :). Thanks.

It doesn't matter what they call it, B2B, or Collectors. According to the Mariner Society, if it is a bookable cruise segment, you will be able to get upgraded if that segment (sea days only) will cause you to reach the 4* level. :)

I agree with shrimpboat. We got our 2 stars onboard NA i the Med in 2014 after the first 12 day section of a 24 day Collector's Voyage. They had placed our pins in our cabin. It was odd because we needed the entire cruise to get a sufficient number of days. Then again 2 stars are sort of pointless when onboard.

I agree with shrimpboat. We got our 2 stars onboard NA i the Med in 2014 after the first 12 day section of a 24 day Collector's Voyage. They had placed our pins in our cabin. It was odd because we needed the entire cruise to get a sufficient number of days. Then again 2 stars are sort of pointless when onboard.

DH got his 5* pin too on our cruise but his card never changed.

Didn't matter since he gets my benefits anyways ;)

Good info from shrimpboat123 -thank you Glen - it will help a lot of people :)

DH got his 5* pin too on our cruise but his card never changed.

Didn't matter since he gets my benefits anyways ;)

Good info from shrimpboat123 -thank you Glen - it will help a lot of people :)

True, it could have only been the pins. But I think we actually got the 'complimentary photo of the ship'. We didn't try the logo clothing discount in the shops. Not much else we could have done with only 2 stars while onboard :o We'll get 3 stars after our next cruise, not much use with that either :rolleyes:

Shrimp boat is %100 correct. Definitely contact the mariner society before your cruise. They verify and flag your acct for the new status so that when the ship front desk, per your request, contacts mariner for permission to change your status, it proceeds smoothly.

Remember the mariner society is closed weekends. Take that into consideration for the communication between ship and shore. In my case the mariner society told me to request change from ship front desk BEFORE ship segment completed as it fell on Saturday or Sunday. Enjoy!

Last November/December we were on a cruise from San Diego to Lima and back. It was a B to B but with one booking number. We were 4 star going down and went over the 5 star mark a day before we arrived in Lima. HAL gave us 5 star status on the return cruise, which was much appreciated. This policy had just been changed, at the time, and it could have been changed again.

I change status after 7 days on a 25 day cruise coming up. I called guest services and they sent me IN WRITING a letter indicating I'd be able to show the front desk to change my status after the 7 days. It was also noted on my booking as well. But I felt I wanted to have it in hand . Much easier.

Per the HAL website FAQ's:

"17. If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage."

So any change in Mariner status while on a non-Grand cruise is a courtesy by the front office staff or the HD, so not to be expected but hoped for but looks like 2 bookings B2B will afford you the change in status for the 2nd cruise.

Per the HAL website FAQ's:

"17. If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage."

So any change in Mariner status while on a non-Grand cruise is a courtesy by the front office staff or the HD, so not to be expected but hoped for but looks like 2 bookings B2B will afford you the change in status for the 2nd cruise.

Thx that was always our understanding too. We had been on cruises when we went from 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 and nothing from HAL even after asking, they quoted the above. Seems either things are changing or as you say it's up to the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion about calling the Society before the cruise to get verification of number of sea days.

Will do, down the line, if all goes well.

D

Hi Dorothy!

Another option is to print it off from your Mariner status section under your account on the website.