Can we switch the alcohol package perk for a non-alcoholic package?

MsSoCalCruiser

Twice we've tried to do this(within the year) and both times they downgraded the classic alcohol to classic non-alcohol. We then had to pay the difference between CNAP to PNAP which is $4 per day plus 18% gratuity on the $4.

These experiences were on the Constellation in November and Silhouette in January.

whatever will bewilder me

Celebrity is trying to make to make more money out of you switching not less, by getting you to pay.

From a customers perspective it seems like it is a terrible deal. You've already paid a premium of several hundred dollars for a classic alcohol drinks package to drink pennies worth of soda. Now If you want some nice water (which probably still only costs the cruise line pennies) that huge premium you paid for a drinks package is insufficient and they want more.

Well said. The non alcohol drinker could on their free Classic Package order alcoholic drinks and just leave them. Two, three per day. All they really want is sparkling water costing the cruise line pennies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well said. The non alcohol drinker could on their free Classic Package order alcoholic drinks and just leave them. Two, three per day. All they really want is sparkling water costing the cruise line pennies.

Yeah, because that certainly isn't a petty way to act as an adult.

Smh

and Royal are not being petty with this change?

No they are a business making a business decision to help out their shareholders. That's capitalism at its finest.

Purposely ordering something you don't intend to consume to waste it so you can stick it to the man is petty.

• 2 weeks later...

While I do not have the answer to the original question, I would note that Celebrity's current promotion (for non-suite guests) is:

First two guests each choose 1 free perk:

Classic Beverage Package • Prepaid Tips • Unlimited WI-FI, and $150 to spend on board.

While the Classic Beverage Package is by far the most valuable choice for people who drink alcoholic beverages, this is probably not the case for people who do not drink those beverages. They may well be better off with one of the other choices. You can purchase a lot of non-alcoholic beverages with a $150 credit. Moreover, if the cruise is 6 days (or shorter), a $150 credit will be enough to cover all but $5.76 of the cost of a premium non-alcoholic beverage package. For a 7-night cruise, you would have to add $31.72, which is not likely to be a deal breaker for anyone who can afford a 7-night cruise on Celebrity.

Edited by actuarian
illegible type face

That works if both don't drink alcohol, not so much if one does, one doesn't. I know it's been said before, but I still can't get my head round the fact I could get an alcoholic drink costing ?$9 but not a can costing a third of the price

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

That works if both don't drink alcohol, not so much if one does, one doesn't. I know it's been said before, but I still can't get my head round the fact I could get an alcoholic drink costing ?$9 but not a can costing a third of the price

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Celebrity does allow the two guests to choose different perks, although I do not think that this can be done on the web site; you have to get a knowledgeable operator on the telephone to make that arrangement. The language is "First two guests each choose 1 free perk". Moreover, the retail price that a cruise line charges for a beverage has very little to do with the incremental cost to the cruise line of providing it. The actual cost to Celebrity of providing a mixed alcoholic drink to a cruiser is probably only a few cents, probably less than the actual cost to Celebrity of providing a can of soda.

• 4 weeks later...
Celebrity does allow the two guests to choose different perks, although I do not think that this can be done on the web site; you have to get a knowledgeable operator on the telephone to make that arrangement. The language is "First two guests each choose 1 free perk". Moreover, the retail price that a cruise line charges for a beverage has very little to do with the incremental cost to the cruise line of providing it. The actual cost to Celebrity of providing a mixed alcoholic drink to a cruiser is probably only a few cents, probably less than the actual cost to Celebrity of providing a can of soda.

You need to continue reading the bottom of the page as to the Terms and conditions, part of which state that the guests must choose the same options.

"Free Perk Offer: Each of the first two guests in a qualifying ocean view, veranda, Concierge Class, or AquaClass stateroom are eligible to receive one complimentary amenity: Classic Beverage Package, Unlimited Internet Package, $150 per person onboard credit (“OBC”), or Prepaid Gratuities. For an additional charge, guests receive all four amenities with an upgrade to the Premium Beverage package. Charge varies by number of cruise nights. All guests in the same stateroom must select the same options and provide Celebrity with the selected options at the time of booking.

Successfully downgraded only 1 of 2 classic alcohol packages received as perk to Premium non alhocol on Equinox Sept 2016, after being pointed out that this would not entitle us to refund.

Tried on Silhouette 7/30/17, again mentioning no refund expected. Guy at guest services did not want to do it, after insisting, he called someone and said would need to downgrade to non alcohol classic (without refund) and then pay to upgrade to premium non alcohol (not sure anymore which amount he quoted, could have been $ 4 per day, but I thought it was even more). We declined this suggestion.

However, a couple hours later went back to guest service desk, asked another person, who did it immediately without blinking or checking back with someone. And no charge to us at all.

As on Silhouette (contrarily to Equinox last year) the smoothies and juices in the Aqua Class were included in Classic alcohol package, same as all coffees up to $ 9 in the Café and Vitamin water or frozen non alcohol drinks, we found the difference with the premium package was only the premium waters. Therefore if this now will be the case on all ships, we might not need or want to "downgrade" anymore.

Consistency is not Celebrity :loudcry:

Successfully downgraded only 1 of 2 classic alcohol packages received as perk to Premium non alhocol on Equinox Sept 2016, after being pointed out that this would not entitle us to refund.

Tried on Silhouette 7/30/17, again mentioning no refund expected. Guy at guest services did not want to do it, after insisting, he called someone and said would need to downgrade to non alcohol classic (without refund) and then pay to upgrade to premium non alcohol (not sure anymore which amount he quoted, could have been $ 4 per day, but I thought it was even more). We declined this suggestion.

However, a couple hours later went back to guest service desk, asked another person, who did it immediately without blinking or checking back with someone. And no charge to us at all.

As on Silhouette (contrarily to Equinox last year) the smoothies and juices in the Aqua Class were included in Classic alcohol package, same as all coffees up to $ 9 in the Café and Vitamin water or frozen non alcohol drinks, we found the difference with the premium package was only the premium waters. Therefore if this now will be the case on all ships, we might not need or want to "downgrade" anymore.

Consistency is not Celebrity :loudcry:

Thank you for taking the time to share this with me. Hopefully my friend will not have to pay an extra charge. We will have to let them know that a refund is not expected due to the downgrade. I do wish they would be a bit more consistent.

Please post any recent success or failure that you have had while trying to switch from the Classic Alcohol package to the Premium Non-Alcohol package. Thanks so much.

Hi we did it. Got 2 free classic alcohol packages when booking but said one of us was a non drinker and what could they do. They changed one to premium non alcohol. Happy days :D