O's Visa Package

katz

Has anyone used their visa package? Our cruise included four countries that require visas. How does it work? The cost is $369 pp. I looked at the different countries' required paperwork and it will be quite a chore.

I am wondering if it is just easier to have O do it or if they will require us to fill out a ton of forms. And it might be cheaper, but not easier to do it ourselves through the agency we usually use.

Thank you for your help!!

My experience has been that it costs more to use Oceania, so the question is: how important is the convenience factor to you? Much of the time I've found getting a visa to be simple, but that isn't always the case. Depending on the countries in question, you might well prefer to spend the money.

Mura

Thanks, Mura. I was researching visa info and some of the countries want to know what size shoes I wear--not really, but they want flights in and out, proof that I have funds in the bank, where we are staying, all sorts of information.

I am used to filling out the form, getting the pictures, writing a check and sending everything to the visa company we use---but that just for one country. This time, we are looking at five different countries. A little overwhelming.

I appreciate your help!!

I think all Oceania does is charge you more to use a visa service they select, or at least that's been my experience. I'm not sure there would be much difference in the level of work required. I've always just did my own via VisaHQ.com. Reasonably priced and very helpful for the China visa which was a bear.

What countries are you needing visas for?

Thanks, Corpkid. We need Cambodia, India, Burma and Sri Lanka.

Cambodia: (https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ContactInformation.aspx)

- You can get an e-visa for $37, however it is good only at the following entry points:

• Phnom Penh International Airport

• Siem Reap International Airport

• Cham Yeam (Koh Kong)

• Poi Pet (Banteay Meanchey)

• Bavet (Svay Rieng)

India: (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/info1.jsp)

- You can get an e-visa for about $65

Burma: (http://www.evisa.moip.gov.mm/NewApplication.aspx)

- You can get an e-visa for $50 - good for entering at the following:

• Yangon International Airport

• Mandalay International Airport

• Nay Pyi Taw International Airport

• Tachileik Land Border Checkpoint

• Myawaddy Land Border Checkpoint

• Kawthaung Land Border Checkpoint

Sri Lanka: (https://eta.gov.lk/etaslvisa/etaNavServ?payType=1)

- You can get an e-visa for about $20

That all said, the total cost would be about $172 if you do this on your own. The Oceania package is almost always just about twice the price of doing it on your own, and I think you still need to do all the work of filling out the forms, etc. I believe they just send you the links as I have done above (you can give me your hard earned $$$ instead :) )

Problem corp kid is those e-visa normally work for a ship's arrival. For sure the India e-visa won't won't work and for the othesr you have provided the locations they will work and don't believe any those are seaports. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do them on your own or use a low cost broker. And, even using Oceania or any other visa company, filling out those form will be required for all. The visa companies won't complete the forms for you, they may review them before submittal and tell you changes requred as every visa we have procured has been signed by us. Know you have to do India on your own or thru a broker but, at times the ship will get the others. We did Sri Lanka and they got a blanked ships visa and we were charged about $30 on our ships account Have to be verrrrry carful using e-visas

Pretty sure you can do it all yourself (if you have the time), but it can be daunting.

We traveled to India last year (not a cruise) and got the visa ourselves. We opted for the ten-year instead of the e-visa, since we may want to return to India.

This Nov we are taking a somewhat last-minute Oceania Amazon (Brazil) cruise, and by the time we booked, it was after the Oceania time-line to have them do it. I looked at trying to get the visa on my own, but it looked cumbersome, so we hired an expediter for a bit less than the Oceania cost.

Turns out all the paperwork has to be submitted on line by the applicant - so we're basically just paying for the expediter to submit and pick up the documents and then mail them to us.

Not sure if that's true of all countries, but we may as well have just done it all ourselves.

We are going to do a cruise to Burma and India (Singapore to Abu Dhabi) with China before. The visas are really complicated for this trip. We live just outside of Washington DC and have done our own visas for many countries -- go apply have lunch go back to pick up. India will not let you do that. You can only use one Visa company -- the official one chosen by India. Lots of complaints and problems with the company but India according to their own visa page does not want to hear it! Burma not too much better. Shanghai we will use a 96 hour transit visa since out China visa was only for a year in 2011. UAE I have questions about because we will visit for 5 days before the cruise and then enter twice on cruise including disembarkation for another 3 days.

With the number of countries and the fact that there are many many rules, I decided that I would let someone else worry about the visas. I made that decision based on the comments of many CC people who are experienced in arranging visas and said the effort was not worth it! I am letting the cruise line get me the visas. Never did it this way before so will see if it works.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Thanks, Corpkid. We need Cambodia, India, Burma and Sri Lanka.

YOU CANNOT USE VISA ON ARRIVAL. THESE ARE VALID ONLY FOR AIRPORTS!!!

Have done them all in past. In all cases the Oceania process is the easiest and least risky.

1) Cambodia -- there is no port??? Are you arriving by air or part of a land tour to Siem Reap. The land tour usually includes a visa. It is done on arrival and O does the paper work you just complete the Visa form on the ship and attach a photo.

2) Myanmar --standard shipboard transit visa. You fill out the forms when you board the ship (or a few days prior to arrival) and provide a photo and O gets this done on arrival for you. Your only alternative is to get an Embassy issued visa.

3) Sri Lanka -- no paperwork O gets this done as a standard transit visa. Your only alternative is to get an Embassy issued visa.

4) India -- you need this in advance prior to boarding. Oceania uses CIBT visa service. I would not recommend you doing this by yourself directly. India consulate is a pain and if you miss something they will reject it. Lead time is 3 weeks. If you use a Visa service other than O package the India visa will cost $200 -- add the rest at embassy -- much higher and more hassle compared to what they are charging you.

My recommendation is to use O's Visas.

Edited by PaulMCO

Thanks, everyone for your input. I have been researching this over the last two days. I have decided to go with O's package. We have used a visa company in the past. I checked with the company and the price is not that must different from O's. So, I will just bite the bullet and pay O the $369 each and let them take care of the different visas.

Thanks again!!

Thanks, everyone for your input. I have been researching this over the last two days. I have decided to go with O's package. We have used a visa company in the past. I checked with the company and the price is not that must different from O's. So, I will just bite the bullet and pay O the $369 each and let them take care of the different visas.

Thanks again!!

Since India is the only site where you will need to send your passport out -- you can keep an eye on the CIBT/Visacentral page when you can apply and get your India visa kit. In the past you could not apply too early-- now the India tourist visa is good for 10 years.

http://visacentral.com/tourkits?bookmark=1&login=44997

Edited by PaulMCO