First time cruiser on deck 2, good or bad?

Desinico

So before I did research, my friends and I did an impulsive buy of our first cruise together. It's my bachelorette party. So of course when we saw the 50 down deposit we jumped at the opportunity to book a few months ago. Now that I have did my research, I noticed the rooms we picked are like the worst for sea sickness. Is this true? One cabin is at the front of the ship and my cabin is mid ship. Of course I'll be bringing all necessary meds to cope just in case. I've looked on the site periodically for something higher and the ship is pretty much sold out. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Will be on the Valor in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

I don't know where you read that your cabin is worst for seasickness??? The rule is the lower down and more towards the center of the ship the BETTER for not feeling the ship's movement! Of course you will be having activities all over the ship but your cabin is NOT the worst for being seasick at all!!

Hi,

I don't know where you read that your cabin is worst for seasickness??? The rule is the lower down and more towards the center of the ship the BETTER for not feeling the ship's movement! Of course you will be having activities all over the ship but your cabin is NOT the worst for being seasick at all!!

One of the reps from carnival told me I should have picked something higher and centralized. At the time they had something higher for no additional cost when I did actually book. But, in a attempt to keep everyone on the same deck (one cabin has 3 and the other 2 ppl) we decided on deck 2.

You're fine re: seasickness. Like everyone else has said here. Think of a see-saw -- you want to be at the very middle of it, not on one of the ends. :D So a mid-ship cabin is good.

The other risk for cabins on Deck 2 is that you might be right under the dining room, or worse, the kitchen! Lots of early-morning noise as they start to prepare breakfast. Pack some earplugs and you'll be fine. If you look on carnival.com at their deck plans, you should be able to find out what is directly above your cabin. You'll see the dining room in the back of Deck 3, and a large unmarked area in the middle of Deck 3 -- that's the kitchen. If you're a little bit forward of that unmarked area, you might be underneath the lobby, which is quieter than being underneath the kitchen. You might hear music in your cabin, from the entertainment going on in the lobby. Again, earplugs for everyone!

Just realized I don't even know what ship you're on, but what I've said about the kitchen & dining room locations on Deck 3 is usually true for most ships.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Have fun on your bachelorette cruise!

You're fine re: seasickness. Like everyone else has said here. Think of a see-saw -- you want to be at the very middle of it, not on one of the ends. :D So a mid-ship cabin is good.

The other risk for cabins on Deck 2 is that you might be right under the dining room, or worse, the kitchen! Lots of early-morning noise as they start to prepare breakfast. Pack some earplugs and you'll be fine. If you look on carnival.com at their deck plans, you should be able to find out what is directly above your cabin. You'll see the dining room in the back of Deck 3, and a large unmarked area in the middle of Deck 3 -- that's the kitchen. If you're a little bit forward of that unmarked area, you might be underneath the lobby, which is quieter than being underneath the kitchen. You might hear music in your cabin, from the entertainment going on in the lobby. Again, earplugs for everyone!

Just realized I don't even know what ship you're on, but what I've said about the kitchen & dining room locations on Deck 3 is usually true for most ships.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Have fun on your bachelorette cruise!

Haha thank you! Yes earplugs are going to definitely be on my to buy list before the cruise. I wanna say we're right under the lobby but I'll have to check on that. We are going to be on the Valor December 11 2016.

Down low and midship is the best for seasickness. I love decks 1 and 2. So convenient when getting on and off at ports, and for dinner. While everyone else is clogging the elevators and stairs trying to go down, I simply walk up a flight or two and I'm at the MDR.

That is a good perk lol thanks.

It can also depend on the roughness/calmness of the seas. I've been forward and felt no different than any other part of the ship. In other instances, where the seas were a bit rougher/choppier, I did feel a bit more motion in the forward part but it wasn't that bad.

The Valor is a bit older, but is still equipped with good stabilizers.

You could also be prepared and bring some items that work well with sea sickness as a precaution (meds, or sea sickness bands, or the patch that goes behind the ear).

Don't stress..just have a great time!

Last February I was on valor 2301 mid ship 2nd deck. No problems at all. My friend did have a problem first night. The Bonine made her sleepy. Waitress gave her 2 green apples and ginger ale. No problems after that. Just a thought. FYI. If you have set dining time, take elevator or walk steps in the aft section. No access to dining in the middle of ship on 3rd deck. It's the galley. We got our exercise.

As someone who is prone to seasickness, I will also say that the size of the ship can be a factor in how much motion you feel. The bigger the ship = the less motion you will feel. Now, that's not to say that you won't feel anything but it is much better on a bigger ship than on one of the smaller ones in the fleet.

I would also agree with what everyone else is saying: the lower and closer to the center you are, the less motion you will feel.

Hope this helps! Have a great cruise and be sure to come back and tell us all about it.

My first 4 cruises were on either deck 1 or 2. I prefer to book higher but there isn't anything wrong with the lower ones. I'd rather have a cabin closer to the Lido deck, spa and gym if given a choice though.

Mid-ship is great! Size of ship is a big factor --> Stay away from really high/low floors...

Newer ships also have stabilizers which help A LOT!

Final factor is Mother Nature and the Captain ---> if both respect each other and keep their distance ----> your fine! Have FUN!!!! :D

Edited by KCpumkin

I am very prone to motion sickness - even take Dramamine when I fly! But I have been on decks 2 and higher and never suffered at all.

I do take a Bonine every night of our cruise right at bedtime. The sleepiness wears off by morning and the motion aid works for 24 hours. I sleep like a baby every night and never feel queasy.

Others have already calmed your concerns, but I also agree that low & midship is best. I have had great experiences being low and/or midship.

In regards to location on deck 2, being below the dining room is the best spot of all. It's totally empty all night long, which cannot be said for any other spot on the ship. And even when the dining room is being used, you may only hear a slight peep, if anything. I have stayed below a dining room 3 times, and have never heard a thing from above. Being below the galley would be a concern, because that's where the crew is working, cooking, & cleaning 24 hours a day. The galley goes from the midship elevators to the aft elevators. If you are forward of the midship elevators, you're fine. Either you're below the dining room (perfection) or below the lobby (not perfect but still good).