Splendor incidents

bareitallltan

While on cruise a few incidents happened.2 near drownings.one on Grand turk,margaritaville, airlifted to miami.parents not with child in pool.i witnessed a man saving this child and another mom resuscitate him.scary and something i never wish to witness again.returned to st kitts port and the family were there at same beach.so glad child lived.while in St kitts port a guy on jet ski drowned.my opinion he should not have been allowed on one.he was at least 500 lbs.life jacket not closed and snapped together.another child under supervised had to be pulled from ships pool.while arriving at St martin,someone with heart issue ambulance came and got.hope that person is ok.please watch your children. Do not do excursions that you are not healthy enough to do.drink responsible. I have been on countless cruises and this was a nightmare.

While on cruise a few incidents happened.2 near drownings.one on Grand turk,margaritaville, airlifted to miami.parents not with child in pool.i witnessed a man saving this child and another mom resuscitate him.scary and something i never wish to witness again.returned to st kitts port and the family were there at same beach.so glad child lived.while in St kitts port a guy on jet ski drowned.my opinion he should not have been allowed on one.he was at least 500 lbs.life jacket not closed and snapped together.another child under supervised had to be pulled from ships pool.while arriving at St martin,someone with heart issue ambulance came and got.hope that person is ok.please watch your children. Do not do excursions that you are not healthy enough to do.drink responsible. I have been on countless cruises and this was a nightmare.[/QUOT

On my 2nd cruise in the 90's we went on a "party boat" (we did not realize that it was a party boat or I would have never gone as I had a 2 year old) One the way to Paradise Island in Nassau we had free drinks and hot dogs. It was a fairly short ride. We got to the island and we were about to explore and someone screamed that there was a man floating in the water. They went to rescue him and brought him to shore and started doing CPR. The person doing CPR was doing it wrong and nurses were screaming and finally my then husband pulled him off and the nurses started doing it. My MIL was praying with the wife. All while I was holding my two year old crying and praying. I have no idea if the man drank..but they did say he had 5 hot dogs on the short ride. He died. Worst experience ever. I have also been on a cruise where a passenger had to get air lifted off the ship and last month, someone had a heart attack on the Lido deck and had an ambulance waiting in Cozumel.

While on cruise a few incidents happened.2 near drownings.one on Grand turk,margaritaville, airlifted to miami.parents not with child in pool.i witnessed a man saving this child and another mom resuscitate him.scary and something i never wish to witness again.returned to st kitts port and the family were there at same beach.so glad child lived.while in St kitts port a guy on jet ski drowned.my opinion he should not have been allowed on one.he was at least 500 lbs.life jacket not closed and snapped together.another child under supervised had to be pulled from ships pool.while arriving at St martin,someone with heart issue ambulance came and got.hope that person is ok.please watch your children. Do not do excursions that you are not healthy enough to do.drink responsible. I have been on countless cruises and this was a nightmare.

All this has nothing to do with CCL.

Last summer in Cozumel while on a snorkeling excursion 2 guides and myself had to pull a dead woman into our boat. She was with her husband, son and a sons friend. They were from the main land. Hardest thing I had to ever do. I had my wife, son and sons friend who were 11 at the time.

Do not really know what happened, very suspicious incident.

If this was a nightmare for you, think about how it was for those directly involved in the incidents.

If you are referring to my experience, The really weird thing is the family was not distraught at all. I know people react differently to situations. If I saw my wife in the water dead I would be a basket case along with my son.

Our situation everything was suspicious with the whole encounter.

I am the parent that watches my children constantly. If they are in the pool on the ship so are we. My children are 10 and 7 and swim extremely well for their age. However you never know when something will happen. One thing that I have found that is universal no matter whether on cruise ships, at hotels or the community pool, parent's just don't supervise their kids like they should. My hubby and I usually end up taking turns watching all the kids in the pool because we would feel horrible if something happened and we were right there. I am truly surprised that you don't hear of more incidents with children being injured on ships and excursions.

When was this cruise?

I am the parent that watches my children constantly. If they are in the pool on the ship so are we. My children are 10 and 7 and swim extremely well for their age. However you never know when something will happen. One thing that I have found that is universal no matter whether on cruise ships, at hotels or the community pool, parent's just don't supervise their kids like they should. My hubby and I usually end up taking turns watching all the kids in the pool because we would feel horrible if something happened and we were right there. I am truly surprised that you don't hear of more incidents with children being injured on ships and excursions.

I'm also a parent that watches her kids. Mine are now 14 & 11, but the rule is "if a parent isn't there you don't go in the pool", this goes for vacation as well as our home!! I will never understand how parents let their children go swimming without one of them supervising.

I am very surprised you don't hear about more incidents like this because people are so care free on vacation. That goes for unsupervised children as well as over indulging adults ( I was once a young, over indulging adult ;) ).

I am often amazed at how many people think they can swim, but are wrong. We like to snorkel when we cruise and have started noticing that every excursion at least one person starts floundering. Every time this person says the same thing, " I don't know whats wrong, I am a good swimmer". This obviously is not the case, so what makes people flounder who think they are good swimmers? Have they just been to a few pools and never really in the ocean over their head? I know my own children think they can swim because they can make it from one side of the pool to the other. Having grown up on the Gulf of Mexico, I know that one is no comparison to the other.

So many families get onboard a cruise ship and all bets are off. If they have kids, the parents have this false sense of security - the ship is a confined space, so run free little ones and enjoy your vacation...lol. Often times the kids come and go as they please, when and wherever. Eat, play, swim, run around all day while the parents lay in the sun maybe drinking, napping, etc. Not ALL parents - but enough of them that can create issues.

I, too, am surprised that more problems and accidents don't happen...

I stumbled upon the "Cruise Ship Deaths" web page the other day. I was surprised to see so many strange occurrences. There was one incident where a older couple's stateroom caught on fire and they were trapped and burned alive. The story went on to say that the ship continued it's course :eek:. There also a large number of people who disappear.

I agree children need to be supervised. My rule regarding water is my 4 year old cannot get in with out me; even if she is wearing a floating device. My 13 year old can swim alone in a pool with me watching close by; however he cannot go too far into the ocean (water must remain at his waist or below).

Cruise lines do seem to be more cautious lately. Not long ago we were walking up to our designated meeting place for a snorkeling excursion and the representative asked about medications. I honestly told him that I take blood pressure meds. He walked me over to a Princess rep and told her that I was on BP meds. She told me I couldn't take that excursion and tried to encourage me to take a less active excursion. I was pretty put out since I've snorkeled for years and had even taken the same excursion before. Looking at the group that was going I'm pretty sure there were quite a few others that were taking BP meds but maybe just weren't as honest about it.

I appreciate the cruise lines looking out for potential safety risks but I learned a valuable lesson that day - fib.

Every second of every day people are both dying and being born, doesn't matter if they're on vacation or live in/near a vacation destination. It is the cycle of life, we're supposed to die.

I know that sounds rough and I admit that I have some hard bark on me, but it is life.

The "worst" thing about cruising is that it tends to put people in situations where they're not equipped to handle on their best day when they're often far from their best day. That reality is one thing we all need to personally acknowledge, a good person knows their limitations and they don't do go beyond their limits.

Don't be that guy/gal, don't be the one who ruins something for everyone.

Edited by Viesczy

Absolutely agreed! My children are 8 and 11 and have been on swim team for two years now but I still do not let them out of my eye sight while in the pool. People get overconfident in their childs ability. Things happen, even to adults, they can fall and hit their head, the pool may be too crowded and they cannont come up for air. Call me a helicopter mom all you want, there is no second chances when it comes to water!

Both my DDs have long hair and when they are going in a hot tub/jacuzzi I tell them to tie their hair back and don't submerge their heads. Their hair could get sucked in and trap them under water. A young girl drowned this way a while back at a home around where we live. FYI.

Actually, ship's hot tubs are required to have "anti-entrapment" gratings on the suctions just for this reason. The pools as well.

I stumbled upon the "Cruise Ship Deaths" web page the other day. I was surprised to see so many strange occurrences. There was one incident where a older couple's stateroom caught on fire and they were trapped and burned alive. The story went on to say that the ship continued it's course :eek:. There also a large number of people who disappear.

I agree children need to be supervised. My rule regarding water is my 4 year old cannot get in with out me; even if she is wearing a floating device. My 13 year old can swim alone in a pool with me watching close by; however he cannot go too far into the ocean (water must remain at his waist or below).

I don't understand what you would have expected the ship to do after a fire in a cabin and two deaths? It continued on course to make the next port where the incident and fatalities could be reported to the local authorities. I'm at a loss to know what you think they should have done differently.

There was a death on one of the cruises we were on. An older gentleman had a fatal heart attack, the removed the body at Cozumel, they were quite discreet about the whole thing. I imagine it happens far more than anyone thinks it does.

This post does have to do with CC it is a good reminder of why people should buy basic medical to cover repatriation of remains and emergency evac including flying back to the states. Even if they don't buy cancellation insurance. It's the med part that will bankrupt you and simple med insurance is cheap.

I am often amazed at how many people think they can swim, but are wrong. We like to snorkel when we cruise and have started noticing that every excursion at least one person starts floundering. Every time this person says the same thing, " I don't know whats wrong, I am a good swimmer". This obviously is not the case, so what makes people flounder who think they are good swimmers? Have they just been to a few pools and never really in the ocean over their head? I know my own children think they can swim because they can make it from one side of the pool to the other. Having grown up on the Gulf of Mexico, I know that one is no comparison to the other.

They vary well could be good swimmers in a pool but most cruise excursions happen in large bodies of salt water with waves, current etc. and if you are in deeper water people will experience anxiety if they are unable to see the bottom.

Heck I was a good swimmer in both a pool and open water but try swimming for the first time in a triathlon open water start. Bodies, water splashing everywhere, getting kicked and hit. The kayaks even have to fish some of the athletes out of the water as they get into trouble.

Sometimes it is just the circumstances and sometimes people overestimate their abilities.