Card power switches in room?

volk904

Going on the Escape in 4 weeks. I know it has the new power saver room switches.

I have read mixed things. Will any all smooth card like a gas station rewards card keep things running?

I'm confused.

Why would you want to keep things running?

I'm confused.

Why would you want to keep things running?

Because all power to the room is shut down including the outlets.... so you plug in your phone or camera to charge while you are out but when you come back... they are even more drained

Going on the Escape in 4 weeks. I know it has the new power saver room switches.

I have read mixed things. Will any all smooth card like a gas station rewards card keep things running?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anything sturdy enough of the same size will work. I have used a business card in the past. In case you weren't aware, by leaving the card in the slot, it leaves an indicator light illuminated outside your door that will lead your steward to believe the room is occupied. Don't be disappointed if your room is not refreshed in a timely manner because of it.

I can't really believe you read mixed things about this.

The concept of placing any card into the slot has been universally understood since the devices were first seen on the inaugural voyage of Breakaway.

This forum really needs an FAQ...

Is this power feature ONLY on the new -AWAY class ships ?

-OR- perhaps with the dry-docking of the STAR & the DAWN this was added ?

At least there is a workaround to keep the electronic goodies powered and ready to go - but dismaying about the cabin steward unless pre-advised leaving the cabin untouched !

Nice turn of events - you return and find you cabin either cleaned and refreshed - or BUT WAIT - all your battery energy devices are zeroed/drained/uncharged !

A photo of how this works would be worth a few words.

Does this have something to do with the key card slot in the door replacing the manual door knob hanger or rotating bulkhead wall device of what service is requested i.e. "Do Not Disturb" "Make Up Cabin" etc.

THANKS for the heads-up !

... or BUT WAIT - all your battery energy devices are zeroed/drained/uncharged !

that's not true.

removing the card just shuts off the power supply.

so yes, your devices will not continue to charge, but nothing else happens beyond that.

it's the same as if they sat on the counter unplugged or in your pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FYI, we were on the Escape a month ago and our stateroom attendant confiscated our old hotel key card which we were using to keep the power on when away. I've heard of this happening to others as well. Not sure if it's a ship-wide policy or just the attendants annoyed with the fact that they can no longer tell when you are in the room or away for cleaning purposes.

Not sure if it's a ship-wide policy or just the attendants annoyed with the fact that they can no longer tell when you are in the room or away for cleaning purposes.

Our suite on Escape had a NCL dummy key before we even got there and it stayed for the entire cruise. Nobody touched/removed it.

Really I am more concerned about keeping the AC going Than the power strips. Nothing worse than a hot cabin.

We just got off the Escape last week. Yes, any card will work in the slot. The only time we did this was to charge devices while we were out of the room. However, most of the charging was done overnight while sleeping.

I was also concerned about the AC. The truth is that the room was never hot. Even when we first walked in. The AC worked well and I never felt uncomfortable.

A photo of how this works would be worth a few words.

Does this have something to do with the key card slot in the door replacing the manual door knob hanger or rotating bulkhead wall device of what service is requested i.e. "Do Not Disturb" "Make Up Cabin" etc.

THANKS for the heads-up !

"Cruising with Gambee" has some nice photos with his review of the Breakaway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Edited by esm54687

it doesn't have anything to do with the AC.

It does on the BA at the least and I don't know why it wouldn't be the same on all of them. We gave it a shot on the first night, came back from dinner to a room that was muggy as hell and it took all night to get it cool again and I couldn't sleep.

It does on the BA at the least and I don't know why it wouldn't be the same on all of them. We gave it a shot on the first night, came back from dinner to a room that was muggy as hell and it took all night to get it cool again and I couldn't sleep.

oh that's too bad.

I was just on the Divina, and the card slot didn't affect the AC or TV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

oh that's too bad.

I was just on the Divina, and the card slot didn't affect the AC or TV.

That is a much smarter setup. We were in a hotel in Amsterdam a few months ago and the AC was also tied to the key card. So I did what I normally do and every time we got back to the room they had removed it. I don't think the room ever went under 75-80*