disadvantages of booking early

doubleaxle

I have done 6 cruises with Norwegian and booked the panama canal cruise in January of 2015. We booked then because of the amenities they were offering. At the time they were offering free dining and drink packages. but when I booked I was told since it was a repositioning cruise I could not get the drink package. the following letter is the one I sent my travel agent today. explains were I stand at this point ( mind you the last 3 have been suites)

here is what I wrote my agent:

I appreciate you putting the time in, to look into this for me and I realize the way they run there business isn't you fault. You have been very good to us over the years and as you know we don't call anyone but you when it comes time to cruise The most upsetting thing about this whole thing is they are offering people exactly what they told us we couldn't have. When we booked they were offering the drink package with the dining package for Suite passengers. We were told that we didn't get it because it was a transition cruise and we couldn't get it. Now that they are trying to fill the ship it's fine to offer it.

I think it shows that Norwegian cares more about filling the ship then taking care of the people who exclusively cruise with them. Considering this is our 7th cruise with them and have an 8th scheduled for next year. Now that we are most likely looking at a cruise a year I guess we will just go with whoever gives us a better price.

We may be changing our plans for next year. I am going to look at some different cruise lines and what they have to offer. Maybe I will just Spend time with my uncle and cousins in Germany and catch a different cruise. Maybe I will find a cruise line who truly appreciates the people who are exclusive to them.

Sorry about the long windedness. But, the offer was there and we were told we couldn't have it. Feel free to share this with Norwegian. By not giving us the package we were originally were told wasn't offer and now it's ok, they very likely will loose some of there faithful cruise passengers and a person who tells everyone how good they are to sail with. Very hurt that our loyalty means so little to them.

Rich Powers

If we find an alternate plan, we will still use you as our travel agent. You have always been there for us. Once again thanks for your time.

This is the type of crap that has me changing cruise lines all the time. What the he-double hockey sticks does repositioning have to do with anything? Especially if they are offering the same extras now that lured you in too begin with? I boycott stuff all the time, I would be seriously considering it myself if that stuff happened to me.

We have sailed many cruise lines and there are times we have booked far in advance and got the exact room we wanted, and other times where we waited and settled for a cabin. Then there was the time we waited, booked 29 days out on a flash sale, got an aft balcony for an Alaskan cruise for $799pp on Princess - but paid extra on the last minute airfare.

Everyone wants the best deal, but it doesn't always happen. Promotions change all the time for all cruise lines. At the end of the day you need to be happy with what you put down and don't let it ruin your vacation. Just my two cents... I'm going to start some popcorn. ;) Welcome to cruise critic.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

It's true that when the Freestyle Choice promo first started in December 2014/January 2015, transatlantics and Panama cruises were ineligible for the UBP. But that hasn't been true since April 2015, I think. When the UBP reappeared as an option in June 2015, there was no such restriction attached. You could have rebooked your cruise at any time over the past 15 months and received this perk.

They haven't just now started to offer the UBP on your cruise as a last-ditch effort to fill the ship. It has been continuously available for your cruise for over a year, so you could easily have taken advantage of it.

There are many advantages to booking early, but being guaranteed a better deal than everyone who books after you is not one of them. You have to continue monitoring prices and deals (or periodically check in with your TA) in case something better comes along. It does no good to wait until just before your cruise and then post a letter to your TA on Cruise Critic. It's too late to do anything about it now.

Go ahead and boycott and cry all you want. Nothing will change for you.

This is a simple matter of reading the terms and conditions of a promotion before you book. Pay close attention to the "Booking Window" - understand the terms are limited to that window and the sail dates indicated. New terms are not usually retroactive! Also, know that when they say something can "change without notice" don't be surprise that it does.

It's about being an informed consumer more than being a boycotter and a social-media crybaby.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Are you referring to your cruise in January of 2015?

OK now I understand your cruise is upcoming.

I solo booked a 21 day repo for a good price in April 2015 and received the UDP (no 18% charge) and the cabin I preferred. Also, I was able to add another person for 7 days (no extra charges) who will receive the UDP at no charge too. I may add another person for the last 14 days and will receive the same offer. This has been cleared by NCL and I used my PCC.

Prices do go up and down and are driven by demand. I found an offer I liked and booked. Maybe a week or so before sailing the rates might drop, but I won't mind. Right now there is very limited availability and inside rooms are more than a balcony.

My Dad who was somewhat of an entrepreneur always said "the price is what someone is willing to pay"

Let me get this straight. You're upset with NCL because they offered more generous perks after you booked and you think they should now extend that offer to you? With that reasoning, we'd all be sending in more money every time they do a price increase. A deal's a deal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Another "Dear John" letter from a "loyal" customer ready to look for another company to value their loyalty when they don't get the deal they think they deserve (when they had every opportunity to get it).

Welcome to Cruise Critic. It's becoming the newest catch phrase.

Another "Dear John" letter from a "loyal" customer ready to look for another company to value their loyalty when they don't get the deal they think they deserve (when they had every opportunity to get it).

Welcome to Cruise Critic. It's becoming the newest catch phrase.

Do posters really expect a bucket of sympathy when they post this garbage? Or is it more about trying to "stick it" to the cruise line by posting a what they believe to be a seething criticism..?!?

I have done 6 cruises with Norwegian and booked the panama canal cruise in January of 2015. We booked then because of the amenities they were offering. At the time they were offering free dining and drink packages. but when I booked I was told since it was a repositioning cruise I could not get the drink package. the following letter is the one I sent my travel agent today. explains were I stand at this point ( mind you the last 3 have been suites)

I appreciate you putting the time in, to look into this for me and I realize the way they run there business isn't you fault. You have been very good to us over the years and as you know we don't call anyone but you when it comes time to cruise The most upsetting thing about this whole thing is they are offering people exactly what they told us we couldn't have. When we booked they were offering the drink package with the dining package for Suite passengers. We were told that we didn't get it because it was a transition cruise and we couldn't get it. Now that they are trying to fill the ship it's fine to offer it.

I think it shows that Norwegian cares more about filling the ship then taking care of the people who exclusively cruise with them. Considering this is our 7th cruise with them and have an 8th scheduled for next year. Now that we are most likely looking at a cruise a year I guess we will just go with whoever gives us a better price.

We may be changing our plans for next year. I am going to look at some different cruise lines and what they have to offer. Maybe I will just Spend time with my uncle and cousins in Germany and catch a different cruise. Maybe I will find a cruise line who truly appreciates the people who are exclusive to them.

Sorry about the long windedness. But, the offer was there and we were told we couldn't have it. Feel free to share this with Norwegian. By not giving us the package we were originally were told wasn't offer and now it's ok, they very likely will loose some of there faithful cruise passengers and a person who tells everyone how good they are to sail with. Very hurt that our loyalty means so little to them.

Rich Powers

If we find an alternate plan, we will still use you as our travel agent. You have always been there for us. Once again thanks for your time.

As noted, the promos are in a constant state of change, and your "deal" changed a LONG time ago. You are just figuring this out now?? Why didn't you see this before now?

Your "exclusive" claim means nothing- 1 cruise a year- is hardly going to make any difference to any company. Of course there are numerous cruise choices to make. But, you aren't going to find much differences in all the cruise lines- with you being obligated to the contract YOU agreed to.

Honestly, the person you should be frustrated with is your travel agent. They were alerted by NCL when the new promo terms came out in 2015 and if they were sharp they would have realized you could have redone your booking to take advantage of the new deal. :(

This is the reason you HAVE a travel agent.

Edited by pcakes122

Honestly, the person you should be frustrated with is your travel agent. They were alerted by NCL when the new promo terms came out in 2015 and if they were sharp they would have realized you could have redone your booking to take advantage of the new deal. :(

Yes, it did strike me as odd that the OP made the point of telling their TA how good they were when it seems that they really dropped the ball on this, and could have got this all sorted before it became a problem.

Rich Powers

The same thing happened to us on the Dawn repo cruise from Boston to Nola in 2015. I was so ticked. I'm still ticked off about it. Lol We booked early and received no promos. Then people who waited until last minute got received a promo worth @ $2500 for the exact price we paid for our cruise but it was after final payment. This hasn't kept me from sailing NCL but I try to be more savvy about booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That was exactly what I was thinking. The travel agent earns a commission from the booking and part of their responsibility is to inform the client of changes and suggest ways to best take advantage of offers.

That was exactly what I was thinking. The travel agent earns a commission from the booking and part of their responsibility is to inform the client of changes and suggest ways to best take advantage of offers.

Not once in 55 cruises with NCL in 7 years have any of the 8 TAs I have used informed me of anything. Not once. Gladly will I take a suggestion for one who does. :)

We always book directly through NCL way in advance (like a year) and take advantage of NCL's low price guarantee. We try to book at what we feel is a decent deal we are willing to accept as soon as possible so that way we are able to book a hotel room the in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale the night before and book plane tickets which always saves us about 80% booking the room and plane that far in advance. And we purposely do not pay the full cruise so we can take advantage of any other deals that come up until the final day when we must pay. Each year we tend to call and "rebook" our cruise 2 or 3 times as the deals get better and it takes about 10 minutes to do it. We have also had our cruise fully paid and then seen price drops and I will call and customer service said it is an unwritten policy that they will give 15% of the price drop in onboard credit but they are not obligated to do so.