Cave Tubing question

dogchopper

I'm booked on the splendor in December and am trying to decide what to do.

Cave tubing sounds interesting but when I read the reviews on carnivals site I see a lot of complaints about the long hot, humid walk to the place where you start the tubing. I also read somewhere that the tubing company you pick makes a difference in whether you walk a long way or not.

I'm not a big fan of walking a long way in the hot humid air, that tends to make me sick (been known to pass out doing that) so....

my question is, is there a difference with the different tubing companies? .

I was just reading Mitusgirly's cavetubing review, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30667696

She mentions that on the way up her group was given the option of going the longer way, where you get to tube through one extra cave, or the shorter way. Some companies apparently don't give groups the option, but I haven't researched enough to determine who does what. I do know that the company she went with was cavetubing.bz

Take note. We did cave tubing several years ago in Belize. Loved it but it was a long hike and, even more important, if you are wearing water shoes you WILL feel the rocks on the path while doing the hike & they hurt. You will want shoes that have as much padding as possible. Again, it was a long hike and parts of the hike even required climbing down some narrow steps (actually rocks but step-like). This made it a little difficult for someone in our group that had mobility issues but she managed & the guides were very helpful. Also, with the tour we took the guides actually carried our tubes. I believe with some companies you need to carry your own. I will look back in my info to see what company we used.

I was just reading Mitusgirly's cavetubing review, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30667696

She mentions that on the way up her group was given the option of going the longer way, where you get to tube through one extra cave, or the shorter way. Some companies apparently don't give groups the option, but I haven't researched enough to determine who does what. I do know that the company she went with was cavetubing.bz

We were gonna boom thru carnival and don't he price match if we go. So now we have to see of they go the shorter way or not.

Take note. We did cave tubing several years ago in Belize. Loved it but it was a long hike and, even more important, if you are wearing water shoes you WILL feel the rocks on the path while doing the hike & they hurt. You will want shoes that have as much padding as possible. Again, it was a long hike and parts of the hike even required climbing down some narrow steps (actually rocks but step-like). This made it a little difficult for someone in our group that had mobility issues but she managed & the guides were very helpful. Also, with the tour we took the guides actually carried our tubes. I believe with some companies you need to carry your own. I will look back in my info to see what company we used.

I have heard that some guides don't have you carrying the tubes. Another thing to investigate. .

We were gonna boom thru carnival and don't he price match if we go. So now we have to see of they go the shorter way or not.

I have heard that some guides don't have you carrying the tubes. Another thing to investigate. .

We went with Viv Tours and was very pleased with them. This was several years ago though so I have no idea what they are like today.

We went cave tubing with Vitalino Reyes on our cruise this past January. We were one of the few groups that didn't have to carry our tubes on the one mile walk through the jungle. Ours was also one of the longer trips through the caves. We saw people getting out earlier than we were. We also had lunch included for price of our tour. It was a very good lunch. I would recommend them. Cavetubing.bz

Edited by bzymom22

I highly recommend cavetubing . bz. They are seriously a lot of fun, very informative, and they do all the work for you from carrying the tubes, pulling you in the water when needed, and even gave my little one a shoulder ride when she was tired. They are first class and we have used them twice now. You get the choice of only going 1/2 way or all the way. Just know that you walk, then come to the river you will be tubing down and you are crossing that river. They give you a chance to get in and cool off if needed. Along the way, there's so much to see and so much they tell you about that it takes your mind off of everything. It's so interesting. Also, it's not like you have to do a fast pace. You stop along the way to see, feel, and taste things :p so it's not strenuous either. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Also considering cavetubing.bz and their cruise special price in October of $65 for combination of cavetubing and zip line tour. I understand doing this option means you just do the shorter cavetube route.

My own only concern is the length of trip and distance from port. There seems to be a number of reviews of passengers rushing to get their last tender. I have even emailed the owner for some reassurance.

We are on the RCCI Liberty of Seas into Belize at end of October, so any further advice gratefully received.

Also a number mention water shoes not being advisable to make the hike up to cave. Are you able to leave belongings safe whilst swapping clothes/shoes for the cavetube?

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back and went with butts-up. It was fun and the walk up is probably 1/2 a mile. Carrying a tube would have been MISERABLE. they already had ours there ready. My family wore keen sandles and that was perfect. One word of caution, if you are on the carnival ship with a 3pm local time departure, I probably wouldn't. I think the family made it but it was close. We had a bus issue that was unusual and for the 3pm departure it was a close call

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I used VIV tours. They carried our tubes and we went through the third cave. It was December and the water was cool. It does get dark in the caves. For footwear: I would recommend going to your local Goodwill Store and purchasing old sneakers, wear those on the tour, and when done just throw them away. You can bring extra shoes and clothes to change into. Bring a water camera. And make sure to keep your butt up when they tell you. Have fun!

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a cruise and used cave-tubing dot com.They were fabulous! Dario and Ivan were guides for the six of us.

We left our clothes and belongings in the van that was locked in the parking lot with people from the tour groups all around, and we had no problem with that.

The walk was about 20 minutes at a leisurely pace and I wore my water shoes. I am a 65 year old woman, not in great shape, and normally wear "good" shoes when walking. I had no issue at all on this walk and I have very sensitive feet!

The tubes were waiting for us at the entry point we did not have to carry them. You do cross the river that you eventually tube down and that part is a little tricky with rocks in the water, but I just took it slow and carefully. There is a rope to hold on to for stability.

I am not sure what other caves people have gone thru as we seemed to enter the water where everyone else was....we were in an area that seemed like a "cul de sac" with a waterfall, so I couldn't see where other tubes could be coming from another place further on.

We did travel further down river than those who were on the ship excursions but everyone ends up in the same parking area.

We stopped for lunch at their Restaurant, it was okay but nothing special.

It was a great trip and we were back to port in plenty of time to get our tender back to the ship.

I would recommend this company at half the price of this ships tours!

Sent from my iPad using Forums