Princess Parental Responsibility letter

moki'smommy

If my computer skills are up to it, I'll attach a photo of the letter that was delivered to each cabin on our recent cruise. Obviously, there is an element of Princess trying to diffuse some legal responsibility (if they tell you that the parent is responsible for watching the kids in the pool and something happens...well, they told you), but I also like that it clearly states that parents are responsible for the behavior of their children at all times other than when signed into the programming. It also provided some room for the ship to enforce the rules--if a child was jumping or diving into the pool, they could lose the ability to use the pool for the remainder of the cruise.

Darn--got an "upload failed" message. Gonna have to get my guru to help.

If my computer skills are up to it' date=' I'll attach a photo of the letter that was delivered to each cabin on our recent cruise. Obviously, there is an element of Princess trying to diffuse some legal responsibility (if they tell you that the parent is responsible for watching the kids in the pool and something happens...well, they told you), but I also like that it clearly states that parents are responsible for the behavior of their children at all times other than when signed into the programming. It also provided some room for the ship to enforce the rules--if a child was jumping or diving into the pool, they could lose the ability to use the pool for the remainder of the cruise.

Darn--got an "upload failed" message. Gonna have to get my guru to help.[/quote']

Thanks for your efforts. I'm interested in seeing it.

Sadly, I know the answer to this question, but does common-sense stuff like this really need to be put in writing? What happened to the days when parents would be ashamed at their children's behavior rather than arguing with authority figures to try to defend it?

Sadly, I know the answer to this question, but does common-sense stuff like this really need to be put in writing? What happened to the days when parents would be ashamed at their children's behavior rather than arguing with authority figures to try to defend it?

Sadly, such parental responsibility seems to have disappeared around the "flower children" generation. And I say that as one of that group.

You know, the "let life be" attitude.

Edited by Shmoo here

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/kcashner/library/libraryDoes it have to be put in writing? Yes, it obviously does. We've had plenty of episodes of "ding, dong, dash" on DCL, seen tweens stealing from host carts, hitting every button on the elevator, etc. Most of it wasn't really "bad" stuff, but was kids doing things that they shouldn't have been doing and annoying people. And where were the parents?

Then there was the cruise where an extended family was across the hall from us. Little kids would knock on our door looking for their cousins, despite the fact that we had a custom made fish extender. I sincerely believe these kids were looking for family--they were too young to be in the "being a pest" category, but again, the parents didn't realize that the kids didn't know where the cousins "lived."

Again, it is a small percentage of the kids who pull this stuff. But in our experience, the shorter the cruise the higher the percentage of parents who feel that they shouldn't have to do any parenting during "their" vacation. Sorry, but unless you leave the offspring at home with a supervisor, you are still responsible.

End of soapbox.

Edited by moki'smommy

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/kcashner/library/libraryDoes it have to be put in writing? Yes' date=' it obviously does. We've had plenty of episodes of "ding, dong, dash" on DCL, seen tweens stealing from host carts, hitting every button on the elevator, etc. Most of it wasn't really "bad" stuff, but was kids doing things that they shouldn't have been doing and annoying people. And where were the parents?

Then there was the cruise where an extended family was across the hall from us. Little kids would knock on our door looking for their cousins, despite the fact that we had a custom made fish extender. I sincerely believe these kids were looking for family--they were too young to be in the "being a pest" category, but again, the parents didn't realize that the kids didn't know where the cousins "lived."

Again, it is a small percentage of the kids who pull this stuff. But in our experience, the shorter the cruise the higher the percentage of parents who feel that they shouldn't have to do any parenting during "their" vacation. Sorry, but unless you leave the offspring at home with a supervisor, you are still responsible.

End of soapbox.[/quote']

I find the last line of that letter interesting:

EVENING SHOWS

All teens and children are welcome to attend the evening entertainment features with their parents/guardians. Please note that children are not permitted to sit in the front 3 rows of the Princess Theater.

That, definitely would not fly on DCL

Edited by Shmoo here

I have a few ideas about why that particular prohibition might exist. Similar to DCL, there are wheelchair seats in the back of the theatre but also the bottom entrance with the ability for people to transfer to those seats. It MIGHT be a way to make those seats available to people who need them.

DCL also provides a lower entrance for those with mobility impairments, but they have to get there quite early or will find all those "stair free" seats taken.

I don't know if this is the reason on Princess, but it is a possibility.

Things we did see despite the letter--kids jumping and diving into the pool. At one point the pools were closed due to rough seas. They placed a net across the water, covering the entire pool. There was also a barrier at the entrance to the pool area. One kid decided that those barriers didn't apply to him. I saw a bar tender speak to him at least 3 times (I offered to call GS and request security but the bartender said he'd take care of it. Bartender was a good guy so I didn't get involved). All of this obviously with parents absent.

EVENING SHOWS

All teens and children are welcome to attend the evening entertainment features with their parents/guardians. Please note that children are not permitted to sit in the front 3 rows of the Princess Theater.

That, definitely would not fly on DCL

It could also be that the first 3 rows are the ones generally visible from the stage and maybe they don't want kids causing distractions for performers since Princess is not geared towards kids entertainment?

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/kcashner/library/libraryDoes it have to be put in writing? Yes' date=' it obviously does. We've had plenty of episodes of "ding, dong, dash" on DCL, seen tweens stealing from host carts, hitting every button on the elevator, etc. Most of it wasn't really "bad" stuff, but was kids doing things that they shouldn't have been doing and annoying people. And where were the parents?

End of soapbox.[/quote']

This, without question, especially the part bout restricting use of a pool or whatever, if the child refuses to behave.

Actually I am surprised all lines don't give out a letter like this.

AKK

I don't know if the letter helped, but in 20 nights on board we had very few situations of kids even being remotely annoying. Yes, there were a few, but that's rather normal. And even then, it was mostly silly stuff like kids linking arms and walking thru a hall 4 abreast so no one could get past them. Worthy of a groan, but not a bit deal at all.

Interestingly, Princess has some policies that are more flexible than DCL. For instance, kids CAN use the fitness center with a parent present and supervising. They can also use the spa/fitness center locker room, and there is no mention of needing a parent there. That, I did find irritating--it is a small space with only a couple of showers and the giggling 10 year old girls were....well, they could have showered in their cabin. But I guess I could have showered in my cabin as well.

The pools are somewhat interesting. They have a wall-like structure about 6 feet from the pool which largely contains the water when the ship is rocking, keeping the deck area dry. It also clearly delineates the "pool area" and provides a clear "entrance" to this area which could be blocked off with a net or rope when the pool was closed. While only about 3 feet high, it is virtually impossible for a parent to "supervise" a child who is in the pool area from a deck chair (you can't see over the wall and into the pool). You can easily see people who are standing in the deck area. SO, the only way to supervise the kids is to put down the magazine and go into the pool area with them!

All lines should do something similar, but lets also be aware of the real point of the letter (which is WHY they should)

With this, if a kid misbehaves, there's no need for a second chance. Princess can say, we told you the rules, have a nice flight home.

If word gets around that people are kicked off for not supervising their kids (after a point of course), behaviors will start to change...

(That said, there also needs to be a similar letter on some lines about alcohol consumption)

All lines should do something similar, but lets also be aware of the real point of the letter (which is WHY they should)

With this, if a kid misbehaves, there's no need for a second chance. Princess can say, we told you the rules, have a nice flight home.

If word gets around that people are kicked off for not supervising their kids (after a point of course), behaviors will start to change...

(That said, there also needs to be a similar letter on some lines about alcohol consumption)

You got it, Loonbeam. I saw it as 2 purposes. Princess has covered themselves legally. Your kid drowns in a pool with no guard, you were told up front that there was no guard and that you were expected to supervise your kid at all times. Your kid acts out and disturbs other guests or vandalizes the ship--you were told to supervise them and you'd be tossed off if this happened.

EVENING SHOWS

This was also the case on our Celebrity cruise earlier this year.