Halong Bay Port- Halong Bay or Bai Tu Long Bay Junk Tour?

Johnny34

We are going on 30 day Seabourn Sojurn – December 22nd.

One of the ports is Halong Bay.

Seabourn has a cruise excursion where they pick you up at the tender and it is 6.5 hours – cruising the bay, visiting a fishing village, going to Sung Sot cave and climb to the top of Titop Island and a buffet lunch. They said is will be on a large junk with 44 people. The junk picks you up right at the Tender and drops you off at the tender. Seabourn Excursion is $159 per person.

I also looked into doing a private junk tour for the day to Bai Tu Long Bay- which only a few junk tours go and is preferred by many since it is not crowded like Halong Bay. I would have to take a 20 minute taxi to meet the junk. We visit Thein Canh Son Cave, Cruise the Bay, Lunch and swim and explore around the caves by Kayak for 30 minutes. Then take 20 minute taxi back to the cruise ship. Would be back 2 hours before cruise ship departs. I am little worried if the junk breaks down and would miss getting back to the ship. The company assured me that doesn’t happen.

I know one person replied to me in another post that they did the Seabourn excursion to Halong Bay. If so do you know what company they used? Did you find Halong Bay real touristy and commercial because so many junks go there? Did you enjoy the caves, fishing village etc. on this Seabourn Excursion? I also saw another person did private junk and loved it – but hasn’t been active on CruiseCritic for awhile so may not reply.

The price for the private junk is $USD195 person. They also do private junk in Halong Bay for $USD120 person. ( this tour only cruises the Halong Bay and goes to caves- no kayaking or swimming or visiting villages.- Would also have to take taxi 20 minutes both ways)

Any guidance on the above would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Hi Johnny34 this is not a precise answer to your questions but some background info on Halong Bay visits x 2.

Last year we were in Halong Bay on a Cruise mid December 2015. The town was deserted, the weather cool 18C. Remember this the Winter season. IMHO opt for the Seabourn excursion at this time of year.

I don't think you can visit Bai Tu LangBay on a one day excursion. it is too far. Mostly the overnight cruises go there. Do yourself a favor and book the private excursion. Their driver will also pick you up where the tender docks. No need to take a taxi. There's a terrific company called Tony Ann tours which will handle everything.

Hardily recommend SmileTours. Very easy to work with, quick response time, very professional. Terrific guides. We had them plan our shore excursions in Saigon, Da Nang and Halong bay. Since we overnighted in Halong Bay, after our cruise and luncheon on a junk, they also took us for an overnight stay and tour of Hanoi....priceless!

I am working with the company direct. They have the highest ratings.

It is a small junk ( only holds 2 people) and the most luxurious on the Bays.

The distance from the tender to Halong Bay Cruise or Bai Tu Long Bay starting point is the same. ( about 20 minutes). The cruises just leave out of different starting locations- and do different itineraries.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.