Oasis: Make your own beds, 3rd and 4th pax!

Just off Oasis, Family room with the bunk bed. We have stayed in similar rooms in the past, and they always made up the kids' bunk beds with sheets, blankets and 2 pillows.

This time, the bunk bed berths only had a bottom sheet, 1 pillow on one bed (2 on the other), and a folded blanket on top. The blanket was not even covering the bed. We needed to call housekeeping before the kids' bed time to request a top sheet and we made the beds ourselves.

Thinking it was just an oversight by the stateroom attendant, we spoke to him in the morning. He said it is our responsibility to make up the bunk beds, and that no top sheet is generally provided - the bunk beds are only provided with a bottom sheet and a folded blanket. This is our 4th time staying in a stateroom with a bunk bed, and that has never been our experience. When we asked to speak with the head housekeeper, he begrudgingly said he would make up the beds properly.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is it unreasonable to expect the beds be made and a top sheet provided??

Edited by Host Jacquelyn

Just off Oasis, Family room with the bunk bed. We have stayed in similar rooms in the past, and they always made up the kids' bunk beds with sheets, blankets and 2 pillows.

This time, the bunk bed berths only had a bottom sheet, 1 pillow, and a folded blanket on top. The blanket was not even covering the bed. We needed to call housekeeping before the kids' bed time to request a top sheet and we made the beds ourselves.

Thinking it was just an oversight by the stateroom attendant, we spoke to him in the morning. He said it is our responsibility to make up the bunk beds, and that no top sheet is generally provided - the bunk beds are only provided with a bottom sheet and a folded blanket. This is our 4th time staying in a stateroom with a bunk bed, and that has never been our experience. When we asked to speak with the head housekeeper, he begrudgingly said he would make up the beds properly.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is it unreasonable to expect the beds be made and a top sheet provided??

Oh no! I go on vacation to have the week off as the family housekeeper....not to pay a big bill to make beds

This is nuts, and your tip should reflect it :mad: With a notation of why.

Funny you say that - this was the first time we did the prepaid tips in advance and were wondering if that's why we received the service we did (no incentive, since the tips were already paid).

In any case, after we spoke to him, the beds were made up as usual but he made it seem like he was going well above and beyond. In my opinion, making up all the beds in the room, not just leaving a folded blanket on top of the bed, is an expected service.

Oh no! I go on vacation to have the week off as the family housekeeper....not to pay a big bill to make beds

Besides the bunk beds not being made up. :( How did you like the family room? We are in 11128 on the Oasis in October. Did you take any pics ? Thanks! :)

This time, the bunk bed berths only had a bottom sheet, 1 pillow, and a folded blanket on top. The blanket was not even covering the bed. We needed to call housekeeping before the kids' bed time to request a top sheet and we made the beds ourselves.

He was obviously lying!

Next time talk to a supervisor. You don't need to have the attendant get you an appointment! If supervision knew he was doing this his contract might be terminated for cause.

Besides the bunk beds not being made up. :( How did you like the family room? We are in 11128 on the Oasis in October. Did you take any pics ? Thanks! :)

Loved the room otherwise! We found there was plenty of space, and a much better option than the family inside (FI) staterooms. I plan on putting a video up on YouTube of the room and will link to it once it is up.

The big difference between the FO and FI - asides from the windows - is are the 2 curtains [1] separating the bunk beds from the main room and [2] separating the sofa bed portion from the main bed. It was like we had 3 rooms. Not sure why they did not put curtains in the FI rooms

That is totally unreasonable I would complain to RCCL. I suspect this is more to do with a sloppy/lazy steward than line policy

That is totally unreasonable I would complain to RCCL. I suspect this is more to do with a sloppy/lazy steward than line policy

I hope so! I am wondering about others' experience in this type of room. We stayed in a Family Inside on Oasis in November, and the beds were always fully made up, so I hope this is not a new policy (as the steward stated).

I hope so! I am wondering about others' experience in this type of room. We stayed in a Family Inside on Oasis in November, and the beds were always fully made up, so I hope this is not a new policy (as the steward stated).

Jacqueline, we were on Freedom last week and the cabin across the passageway was one with 2 bunk type beds. We saw our cabin steward making those upper bunks nearly everyday. I can assure you he was not cutting any corners.

Seems like the current Oasis housekeeping supervision staff is getting hoodwinked into thinking the beds have been made properly by this particular steward :(

We also had less service on our Anthem cruise in May in a balcony. The housekeeper never came to our cabin in the evening the first day to change towels, leave a daily or even to say hello. Next morning when I asked her, she said only one visit per day.... Huh? Told her we needed clean towels and the daily, if that was all she could do.

She also didn't get anything extra from us, just the prepaid tips. We usually give the room stewards a little extra at the end of the cruise. I only ask for ice daily ... That's it. I thought the evening visit would be included and didn't need to ask for it. Am I right?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also had less service on our Anthem cruise in May in a balcony. The housekeeper never came to our cabin in the evening the first day to change towels, leave a daily or even to say hello. Next morning when I asked her, she said only one visit per day.... Huh? Told her we needed clean towels and the daily, if that was all she could do.

She also didn't get anything extra from us, just the prepaid tips. We usually give the room stewards a little extra at the end of the cruise. I only ask for ice daily ... That's it. I thought the evening visit would be included and didn't need to ask for it. Am I right?

I have never heard of them removing the evening visit - unless this is something specific to Anthem, it sounds like you also had a lazy stateroom attendant!

This time, the bunk bed berths only had a bottom sheet, 1 pillow on one bed (2 on the other), and a folded blanket on top. The blanket was not even covering the bed. We needed to call housekeeping before the kids' bed time to request a top sheet and we made the beds ourselves.

We were traveling with my kids and our granddaughters in a C Park balcony. The grandkids were in the fold up and the beds were made every night with all of the sheets, blankets & pillows. I would be outraged and would have spoken to the Hotel supervisor. You could have adjusted the grat, even if you prepaid.

That is just ridiculous. :eek: I think I would've spoken to the head housekeeper anyway. Although, I've never had to do that, and not sure how to speak to them. Do you go to GS and ask?

I have informed Head of Housekeeping many times on various ships of service issues, especially when cabins are not clean. Have enough germs of my own, not interested in the germs of prior occupant. It is always taken care of immediately and service is then exceptional. As someone posted, I don't go on vacation to clean and make my own bed.

Hi there,

A video of the room can be seen here:

and my review is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51022508#post51022508

I am totally bothered by what happened to you.

Totally unacceptable.

We had a different situation occur to us when we sailed the Oasis two years ago.

But, we got resolution while on board.

We were in suite 14730, and one day after coming in from port (excursion) We found no towels in our cabin.

No biggie, I walked down the hall, and no attendants.

So finally I picked up the phone and waited on hold 50 min. to even get to talk to just an operator.

Unacceptable, what if it had been an emergency.

I hung up the phone and walked to the Promenade and spoke with an attendant at the customer service desk after patiently waiting in line.

Too make a long story short we then met with two directors on board, housekeeping and security.

I told them the towels I would get .........eventually, even if I had to go to the pool deck to get those.

But waiting on hold forever is so unsafe.

What kind of practice is that.

Everyday after that the housekeeping director as well as security contacted us to see if things were going better................

They were, but the phone waiting is still a pain.

Sorry to hear you had to be Susie home-maker, I would have contacted the powers that be.

Better luck in the future.

we took our grandson on his first cruise in May on Navigator. His bunk was made up every day, which was great as I would have hated trying to reach up to do it.

Quite often on a cruise, we will tell cabin steward to miss us out (probably once in seven days) as long as they pop the daily cruise compass in. We don't clean our house daily so I don't feel the need to have my cabin done but that's a personal choice, and I wouldn't be happy if the cabin steward made that choice for me!

We were in a balcony room on the Anthem that had the couch which was made into a bed. The steward would pull out the bed and leave the blanket folded on each bed and one pillow for each bed on top of the bed. I had to make the bed for my kids every night.

I have never heard of them removing the evening visit - unless this is something specific to Anthem, it sounds like you also had a lazy stateroom attendant!

I agree, I think we were an isolated instance... I think it's the same with the bunks not being made up.

Our attendant was being lazy but after we requested a nightly visit and she complied, there was no need for us to contact anyone further up the line.