Allure - Eastern Itinerary - Port or Starboard

ubish00

Let me preface this request by saying I have searched but seem to come up with info on Western itinerary but next to nothing on Eastern.

We are sailing on the Allure (Nassau, St Thomas and St Martin) in an ocean view balcony on deck 8.

For those of you that have sailed the Eastern itinerary on the Allure before, would you prefer a starboard or port side cabin? We do like to be able to see land when docked.

If there's a thread I have missed on this, please just let me know and I will be happy to read it.

Also, lately we have been sailing Disney so no worries about cigarette smoke. I think Royals policy is no smoking on the balconies. Or at least, I am hoping that's the case.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ubish00

You will face the land 50 % of the time. Portside means "left side"...that's all! the Captain tries to give everyone equal views. If you face the dock at one port...you won't on the next port.

There are plenty of places to see everything! Don't worry about which side you're on for a Caribbean cruise. All ports are in harbors..views everywhere!

You're right...RCI doesn't allow smoking on balconies!

Edited by cb at sea

You will face the land 50 % of the time. Portside means "left side"...that's all! the Captain tries to give everyone equal views. If you face the dock at one port...you won't on the next port.

There are plenty of places to see everything! Don't worry about which side you're on for a Caribbean cruise. All ports are in harbors..views everywhere!

You're right...RCI doesn't allow smoking on balconies!

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

Currently on Allure in a starboard storeroom.

In the ports you mentioned we docked starboard so we had a view of all the piers.

Nassau: only ship in port so we had a "great" view of the city.

Charlotte Amalie: Again only ship with a view of the big hill blocking the view of the city. Way better than t e other view though.

Basseterre view of half the city. Would have preferred port side this time with nicer view of city- I think.

Currently on Allure in a starboard storeroom.

In the ports you mentioned we docked starboard so we had a view of all the piers.

Nassau: only ship in port so we had a "great" view of the city.

Charlotte Amalie: Again only ship with a view of the big hill blocking the view of the city. Way better than t e other view though.

Basseterre view of half the city. Would have preferred port side this time with nicer view of city- I think.

Thank you. Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

This is completely variable. For me there are only three certain side-views. Departing from FLL: for those that want to see the condos, and the beach, go port side.

Dock at St. Thomas: the ship docks 99% of the time starboard.

Entrance to FLL: you'll be probably sleeping, and everything still dark, so the side is meaningless.

I don't know from first hand experience (I sail Harmony Eastern Caribbean in Nov) but I also asked the question and was told that Oasis class TRYS to dock Starboard whenever possible because there is an escalator on the Starboard side that eases the disembarkation and embarkation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Just off Allure Eastern and I will always choose Starboard side cabin as I enjoy watching the view as we come in to Ports....St.Thomas - Starboard every time...San Juan - Starboard and Labadee - always starboard. My experience 4 times on Allure is that they prefer the starboard side for ports. With one exception when they were doing safety/maintenance on the lifeboats and docked on the port side. I've never done the Bahamas, as I prefer Labadee itinerary, so I'm not sure which side there?

But also docked starboard in Falmouth and Cozumel. The only time I might want my balcony to be on the port side is during sail away from FLL....but we always go up to Port side deck 14 to watch from there anyways =)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you everyone. Your comments are much appreciated. I currently have a Port side cabin and think I'll move it to Starboard. I generally book Starboard cabins but none were available in our category when I booked.

We always get a starboard room every time we sail . As far as your cruise, we have come into St. T and St. M on the starboard side each time. Only once did we turn around in port at Nassau and back in, but then we got a good view of Atlantis. I have read other posts where it is at the Captn's discretion as to how they dock, so I guess we were just lucky it turned out we got shore views as often as we have.

We always get a starboard room every time we sail . As far as your cruise, we have come into St. T and St. M on the starboard side each time. Only once did we turn around in port at Nassau and back in, but then we got a good view of Atlantis. I have read other posts where it is at the Captn's discretion as to how they dock, so I guess we were just lucky it turned out we got shore views as often as we have.

Thank you. Just sent an email to my TA to move us to the Starboard cabin that became available.