Dining room staff's other duties

ekajun1957

If being offered a gift at Christmas offends you all you have to do is say no thank you.

Don't be so sensitive the gift is offered in good faith no matter what faith you believe in.

A very wise man once said "God has no religion " he also dose not have pockets!Happy cruising all.

Crew members who refuse a gift regardless of what is it or the intent behind the gift will find themselves tipless and reported to GS for their attitude.

Dressed in original package?? What do you mean by that?

I mean any wrap, labels or cards attached to the "gift" may contain symbolism that is offensive to the recipient like Christmas trees, Santa, elves, 3 Wise Men, some colors, wreaths, ornaments ...like wrapping a gift to a vegan in a butcher shop paper bag wrap.

Wow! I specifically did NOT quote anything in the OP's post. I was giving MY observations, having had plenty of chances to sit and watch these people work.

OP, perhaps if you don't want responses, then you shouldn't start threads! That's what these boards are for, no? Or do you only want responses if someone agrees 100% with you? I also don't believe I said that you should never speak to them. In fact, I said that I'm sure they like to be spoken to like they're NOT invisible servants. Don't be so defensive! There was no personal attack in my post at all.

I often choose to travel solo. I'm single, DD is grown and married, and my work schedule doesn't always fit with my cruising friends. So when I see a cruise I want to take, I book it. If someone can join me, great. If not, I have absolutely no qualms traveling solo. It's incredibly liberating!

And, honestly, does anyone sitting at a large table, or talking with their tablemate(s), look around them to see if the neighboring tables have had their orders taken before engaging in small talk with the servers? No, of course not. It's spontaneous!

I was simply stating that I think it never occurs to most people that these interactions are time-consuming for the servers. Even the quick conversations take up time that they really just don't have.

I like the idea of waiting until dessert, assuming that they don't have to turn over the room for the next seating!

I typically wait for the server to engage ME in a conversation. That tells me he/she has some time. And, yes, when I see them in the other dining venues at other times of the day, I speak to them and sit in their area if possible.

One of the things I enjoy most about solo travel is the opportunity to observe. When traveling with friends and/or family, we spend all our time talking. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But taking the time to observe those around you can be very interesting and enlightening.

OK, I've said more than my $0.02 worth about the subject, so I'm off! ;)

My guess is you hit the target

I mean any wrap, labels or cards attached to the "gift" may contain symbolism that is offensive to the recipient like Christmas trees, Santa, elves, 3 Wise Men, some colors, wreaths, ornaments ...like wrapping a gift to a vegan in a butcher shop paper bag wrap.

Wow! Jumping to a lot of conclusions here from a mention of an act of generosity and thoughtfulness.

In over 40 cruises, have never had a negative encounter with crew or staff on a cruise. Never reported anyone. Have only written commendations to the Hotel Director about his staff and crew. Those are well appreciated too.