Dining room staff's other duties

ekajun1957

I am sure others have noticed this and wonder if others do same we do. The evening dining room staff have other duties during the day. My wife is one who engages with the staff so wonderfully with every cruise we go on. I actually notice the staff will spend more time at our table because of her attitude. She also was very inquisitive about their other duties on our very first cruise when she noticed our waiter in the buffet for breakfast. She asked about this and he told where he would be and what times the next day. He found us as we entered the buffet area and "guided" us to a table. Took great care of us. Same thing the day he was on lido deck, or in MDR for breakfast.

Since then we often ask the wait staff where they will be and try to stop at that time. This has worked great for all involved, we get more personalized service and they gets more tips. It is sometimes small things, like we get to buffet for lunch and we come back from getting our food and there is her soft drink she didn't even mention yet. We have never had a bad nor even mediocre service when on Carnival, always overly satisfied even after several cruises. Now having said that we don't have anything bad to say about service on any cruise lines we have done. The worse we have gotten was good.

Also let me say something and its not bragging just saying. We live 25 minutes from the dock in New Orleans, so our first and most of our cruises have been from there. I search out the good fares. This savings of no travel expense and actually no parking, we get dropped of by daughters or friends, leaves extra money in my view for the rest of the cruise. One of the best values in cruising we have gotten is the service on Carnival especially when we do as above. Also to let others know the tips early in the cruise does not change my "additional tip" at the end of the cruise.

I realize economics are such that cruise lines are cutting back to keep it profitable and I so far have no real problem with that. One way we as cruisers can keep the service as great as I have always experienced is never cut back on tips when it's not the employees fault he doesn't have time for something extra for you. And its common sense and arithmetic that a few dollars extra you tip is not really missed, but when we all tip a couple extra it adds up to plenty for the staff.

I have seen many threads about tipping and wanted to have my say, so I am off my soapbox about tipping. Thanks for putting up with that part.

Edited by ekajun1957

And here are my thoughts about "engaging" the wait staff.

Yes, it's nice. I like to know something about them. I like to interact.

But as someone who often sails solo and chooses to dine solo (sometimes, not always), I've had multiple opportunities to sit back and watch these people at work rather than chatting with my fellow diners.

Here's what I think...

Every time someone at a table engages that server or assistant in conversation, they're taking them away from their duties. Sad, but true.

While they're standing there chatting, smiling, being polite, there are other tables for which they're responsible that are NOT getting their share of attention. I've seen them stand there, chatting, and then, when finally released, rush over to their station and grab something for another table that has been waiting. NO WAY can they say, "I'd love to chat but I have work to do!! Your neighbors have been waiting to have their orders taken!"

And for every "special" or "extra" order that people request, they're being taken away from their other duties.

They're already spread SO thin these days with fewer people in each wait team and more tables to serve that while, on the surface, this extra attention being paid to them seems nice (and I'm sure they enjoy being engaged and treated well rather than being barked at like lowly servants (which I see happen much too often)), you must understand that while YOU may get great service because of this engagement, the tables surrounding you may feel they aren't getting the service they deserve and decide to reduce tips!

Just another side of the coin, so to speak. I don't think people even think about this when they're chatting with their servers. These people are working extremely hard. Please be pleasant and polite with them but let them do their jobs!

I have no problem with seeking them out for breakfast, especially when they're working in Lido. They have much more time, but dinner service? Just let them work!

I feel like you are a similar cruiser to myself.

Happy to be away and take care of people who take care of you.

I also like to see crew in their various roles, and get to know them a little bit.

On our last carnival cruise, my hubby got quite unwell and I ended up doing a lot of things alone.

I skipped mdr one night as I just couldn't face eating there alone so went to lido instead.

A lovely crew member who was on break up in the lido after the rush saw I was alone and sad so she had her colleagues and herself come sit with me during a short dinner.

Let me tell you, it must seem like nothing but at my lowest point it was so nice to think the crew genuinely care and take an interest.

This crew member was not in a tipped position.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

And here are my thoughts about "engaging" the wait staff.

Yes, it's nice. I like to know something about them. I like to interact.

But as someone who often sails solo and chooses to dine solo (sometimes, not always), I've had multiple opportunities to sit back and watch these people at work rather than chatting with my fellow diners.

Here's what I think...

Every time someone at a table engages that server or assistant in conversation, they're taking them away from their duties. Sad, but true.

While they're standing there chatting, smiling, being polite, there are other tables for which they're responsible that are NOT getting their share of attention. I've seen them stand there, chatting, and then, when finally released, rush over to their station and grab something for another table that has been waiting. NO WAY can they say, "I'd love to chat but I have work to do!! Your neighbors have been waiting to have their orders taken!"

And for every "special" or "extra" order that people request, they're being taken away from their other duties.

They're already spread SO thin these days with fewer people in each wait team and more tables to serve that while, on the surface, this extra attention being paid to them seems nice (and I'm sure they enjoy being engaged and treated well rather than being barked at like lowly servants (which I see happen much too often)), you must understand that while YOU may get great service because of this engagement, the tables surrounding you may feel they aren't getting the service they deserve and decide to reduce tips!

Just another side of the coin, so to speak. I don't think people even think about this when they're chatting with their servers. These people are working extremely hard. Please be pleasant and polite with them but let them do their jobs!

I have no problem with seeking them out for breakfast, especially when they're working in Lido. They have much more time, but dinner service? Just let them work!

I see nothing wrong with talking to them for a few minutes as long as it's not peak time where people's orders need to be taken or they are in the middle of serving guests.

Yes they are busier than they used to be, but there are times when they have a little down time. If not, then maybe some people arrived late, made special orders, etc but they are not running constantly from the time they step foot into the dining room. Well if they are a team that works together and in tandem, they aren't. I have been fortunate to have such teams while cruising especially on the Glory and have had the opportunity to talk to them too.

Some of the waitstaff work in the buffet during the day, and one of the head waiters is in charge of making sure room service orders in the morning are correct and delivered on time. Others also work tea time and brunch on sea days. With working everyday and no days off with basically the same crew for months on end, I'm sure they appreciate someone taking the time to get to know them just a little. We are all people and I refuse to act like a robot giving my order, getting my food, and leaving. It's nice to let them know they are appreciated even if it's just to ask how their day is going. As long as it's done with common sense and not when they are crazy busy, I think it's OK to chat.

My husband makes a point of learning the names of all staff who serve us from the person who makes his omelet in the morning to our cabin steward to all the staff with which he interacts.

Many on here have commented about how staff tries to call all guests by name and we try to do the same with the crew. You would be surprised how just that one little personal touch can make a difference.

Yes we do chat with them as we go about our day too.

It makes for a much more pleasant cruise!:p:cool:

I think there is a big difference with "chatting" up the staff and tying up their time when they have other duties.

A little common sense goes a long way. Save big discussions for the dessert round when other tables have cleared and people have had their dinner....then it is great to get to know your staff. And if they are working in other areas during the day, of course say hello and recognize them but don't expect personalized treatment or little extras that aren't part of their job.

Motive is also of concern. If you like people and like getting to know them have at it. If you are doing it to get your own personal "butler"...enough said.

I agree with the interacting with the staff and crew. They love it. They need and want the interaction with the passengers/guests. The trick is to know when to not interfere with their job or take up too much of their time that it affects their job or service to other guests.

A smile, interaction, a small gift plus extra tip goes a long way. Any one of these actions makes a difference to their day or contract.

I agree with the interacting with the staff and crew. They love it. They need and want the interaction with the passengers/guests. The trick is to know when to not interfere with their job or take up too much of their time that it affects their job or service to other guests.

A smile, interaction, a small gift plus extra tip goes a long way. Any one of these actions makes a difference to their day or contract.

The small gift marks you as a problem guest who is more concerned about being special than consideration for the crew member.

We always talk and interact with our servers when we see them at the buffet, cleaning tables and hauling dirty dishes. Who wouldn't want to be recognized, spoken to and shown a bit of interest in? They work so hard and for us to take a few moments to ask about them and show some interest goes a long way.

One of the things I find on this forum is the people who presume to know something that is not in your original post. That add to MY commentary to go out and complain. Never in my post did I say that we took up extra time to engage in friendly chat or that at any point did I ask or expect them to do anything extra for me. Read where I said that he guided us without anyone asking or expecting it, also no one even mentioned the soft drink and he brought it. Just a cheerful chat and treating someone with true respect and sincerity goes a long way, and only takes a few seconds.

Also if some people were more engaging and less critical and looking to have some fun at dinner with others and not critiquing what is going on around them, they might not be cruising alone so much.

One of the things I find on this forum is the people who presume to know something that is not in your original post. That add to MY commentary to go out and complain. Never in my post did I say that we took up extra time to engage in friendly chat or that at any point did I ask or expect them to do anything extra for me. Read where I said that he guided us without anyone asking or expecting it, also no one even mentioned the soft drink and he brought it. Just a cheerful chat and treating someone with true respect and sincerity goes a long way, and only takes a few seconds.

Also if some people were more engaging and less critical and looking to have some fun at dinner with others and not critiquing what is going on around them, they might not be cruising alone so much.

This has worked great for all involved, we get more personalized service and they gets more tips.

I'm sorry I thought I read in your initial post that you went out of your way to meet up with staff who you had befriended and the end result would be more personalized service for you....sorry if I read that incorrectly.

I think a large portion of cruisers, especially those who are seasoned travelers, are also friendly to the staff and engage them whenever possible, not for any "extra" personalized service but because most people, that I know, really like other people and enjoy getting to know about them and their history. What concerns me is that if you get a surly or uncommunicative staff member who does their job excellently but misses out in the "tip" department because they aren't chatty Kathys.

The small gift marks you as a problem guest who is more concerned about being special than consideration for the crew member.

Oh no. If a small gift is given, it is given at the end of the cruise with the added tip. We never give anything at the beginning, not even a tip. Perhaps, I should not have generalized with the other gestures.

Also, when we give a small gift, it is usually during a special occasion. We were leaving our cruise on Dec 9 last year. We knew the staff and crew were going to be away from home during the holidays and we brought stockings and gifts bags filled with treats and small gifts to hand out. Some had tears in their eyes, saying they had never gotten like that. So, yes, it is appreciated but as with everything else, it has to be given with thought and not just to give them something to get better service. Not saying a gift is appropriate each time.

Also, when we give a small gift, it is usually during a special occasion. We were leaving our cruise on Dec 9 last year. We knew the staff and crew were going to be away from home during the holidays and we brought stockings and gifts bags filled with treats and small gifts to hand out. Some had tears in their eyes, saying they had never gotten like that. So, yes, it is appreciated but as with everything else, it has to be given with thought and not just to give them something to get better service. Not saying a gift is appropriate each time.

What do you give the crew for Eid?

The OP and NCTribe both make some great points.

We always talk with whomever is stuck w us if time permits them to.

If it is BUSY, I do my best to help them (having our finished everything organized and easily handled) and honestly I'd everything myself if I was allowed. I won't engage in small talk as it is unfair to the passengers and the staff member.

If it is slow I will talk with folks if they're apt to chat. Typically our dining times are so varied (and never do fixed dining) we typically don't have the same server, which matters to me none.

Oh no. If a small gift is given, it is given at the end of the cruise with the added tip. We never give anything at the beginning, not even a tip. Perhaps, I should not have generalized with the other gestures.

What do you give the crew for Eid?

You do realize that giving gifts in recognition of Christmas can be offensive to those of other faiths?

Wow! I specifically did NOT quote anything in the OP's post. I was giving MY observations, having had plenty of chances to sit and watch these people work.

OP, perhaps if you don't want responses, then you shouldn't start threads! That's what these boards are for, no? Or do you only want responses if someone agrees 100% with you? I also don't believe I said that you should never speak to them. In fact, I said that I'm sure they like to be spoken to like they're NOT invisible servants. Don't be so defensive! There was no personal attack in my post at all.

I often choose to travel solo. I'm single, DD is grown and married, and my work schedule doesn't always fit with my cruising friends. So when I see a cruise I want to take, I book it. If someone can join me, great. If not, I have absolutely no qualms traveling solo. It's incredibly liberating!

And, honestly, does anyone sitting at a large table, or talking with their tablemate(s), look around them to see if the neighboring tables have had their orders taken before engaging in small talk with the servers? No, of course not. It's spontaneous!

I was simply stating that I think it never occurs to most people that these interactions are time-consuming for the servers. Even the quick conversations take up time that they really just don't have.

I like the idea of waiting until dessert, assuming that they don't have to turn over the room for the next seating!

I typically wait for the server to engage ME in a conversation. That tells me he/she has some time. And, yes, when I see them in the other dining venues at other times of the day, I speak to them and sit in their area if possible.

One of the things I enjoy most about solo travel is the opportunity to observe. When traveling with friends and/or family, we spend all our time talking. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But taking the time to observe those around you can be very interesting and enlightening.

OK, I've said more than my $0.02 worth about the subject, so I'm off! ;)

If being offered a gift at Christmas offends you all you have to do is say no thank you.

Don't be so sensitive the gift is offered in good faith no matter what faith you believe in.

A very wise man once said "God has no religion " he also dose not have pockets!Happy cruising all.

You do realize that giving gifts in recognition of Christmas can be offensive to those of other faiths?

Certainly that can be true, but in the case of cruise ship employees who regularly "serve" international guests of many religions, were selected on the basis of their genuine warmth and friendliness, and have regular training, I doubt they would be offended but rather recognize a nice gesture - and not view it as an attempt to convert!

And frankly even for other persons - people of good faith would generally recognize such a gesture as being well meant and not take offense.

We are very PC and never say it is for Christmas. It is for the holidays when they are away from home. Nothing we put in the stockings or gift bags are religious in any way.

The " holidays" are celebrated on the ships. No one has ever been offended.

For the poster who asked what we give for EID, we have never cruised during EID.

We have neighbors who celebrate EID and we do exchange gifts when it is appropriate and also at Christmas.

BTW: Happy EID to those of you celebrating today.

We are very PC and never say it is for Christmas. It is for the holidays when they are away from home. Nothing we put in the stockings or gift bags are religious in any way.

The " holidays" are celebrated on the ships. No one has ever been offended.

For the poster who asked what we give for EID, we have never cruised during EID.

We have neighbors who celebrate EID and we do exchange gifts when it is appropriate and also at Christmas.

BTW: Happy EID to those of you celebrating today.

No one has expressed offense since it would be a complaint filed against them for doing so. If your items are dressed in anything other it's original package, you may be indeed giving offense.

If being offered a gift at Christmas offends you all you have to do is say no thank you.

Don't be so sensitive the gift is offered in good faith no matter what faith you believe in.

A very wise man once said "God has no religion " he also dose not have pockets!Happy cruising all.

Certainly that can be true, but in the case of cruise ship employees who regularly "serve" international guests of many religions, were selected on the basis of their genuine warmth and friendliness, and have regular training, I doubt they would be offended but rather recognize a nice gesture - and not view it as an attempt to convert!

And frankly even for other persons - people of good faith would generally recognize such a gesture as being well meant and not take offense.

So true!