Anyone just back from Valor?

topspin1267

The last thing I heard, and I can't confirm it 100%; the Sept. 9th sailing is when they were supposed to make the change.

Assuming that is the case; it is an 8 night cruise. Unless someone is reading this while on board; they debark on Saturday, the 17th.

You might want to "bump" this thread then to see if there's any feedback.

I just got back from Valor on Friday. I can confirm that our cruise was the last one with the traditional menu.

American Table began with the cruise that departed Friday night.

Edited by stobe1

I just got back from Valor on Friday. I can confirm that our cruise was the last one with the traditional menu.

American Table began with the cruise that departed Friday night.

Thanks. for some reason I thought it started with your sailing. Was just curios as we board Saturday.

We've had AT/AF just wanted to see how times and service were going with the new format. Guess we'll know in 4 days :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi-

We are taking this cruise in October. Would you mind telling me which excursions you took or what fun things you did in the ports?

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

Capt Bob Cass / Soualiga tours in St Maarten. Its a small group 6 hour speedboat excursion that takes you around the entire island with snorkeling, swimming, and beaches. Lunch and beverages are included. It was by far the best experience of our cruise. Price is on par for the length of the excursion and whats included. You have to book through him, but he will have you back at port with an hour to spare. You can find him on tripadvisor; I think he is actually rated #1 of all the tours there.

Just off the Valor this morning and can report that American Table is fully implemented (depending upon your definition of "fully").

According to our waiter, the kitchen is struggling to adapt and wait times for some of the courses is mildly excessive. For instance, on one night, he and his team struggled to get us out of the dining room by 7:55 in order to have the table reset for the late sitting. That one night was the exception and the balance of the nights we were gone by 7:25 or so.

Food was tolerable in my opinion, but will say that I missed the table cloths. When I first heard on CC that the table cloths were no longer being used, I really didn't think it was a big deal. However, having now experienced the new setting personally, I believe I was wrong. Noticed that the wine and water bottles seemed to glide across the table...on their own...in mildly rough seas. The condensation that settles along the base of the containers seems to act as a lubricant. I believe the additional friction provided by a table cloth, if one had been in place, would have stopped this from occurring. Also, one table mate complained about her plate wanting to slide across the table top when she tried to cut her steak.

All-in-all, I thought the overall experience was acceptable, but honestly think the former menus and table settings were better.

Just MHO...

Garnett

Just off the Valor and the American table is ok. They had a short time to adjust for but did a great job. As far as the food it is a nice change to be offered something different instead of the same old thing. I love the port day menu because it gives you a chance to try the local food. As far as the table clothes only on elegant nights I had no problem with it. Enjoy your cruise as we did and don't worry about the small things in life.

Just got off the Valor yesterday. Dining room service was great and food was also good. My only complaint would be the clutter on the table. Between wine glasses, bread box, bread plate, etc. the table always looked cluttered. They need to remove wine glasses if they are not being used.

We were on the Valor first American Table, September 9th. I have to agree with most of the responders. The first night or two, it seemed they were struggling a bit to get everything to us in a timely manner. We had a group of 10, and pretty much everyone was satisfied and always found something to eat. Our wait staff was really good, no complaints there. Yes, the table was cluttered with all the glasses, individual bread plates, etc., but did enjoy having the bread on the table instead of having to ask for it and most times was very fresh and slightly warm. My biggest complaint is the water carafe holder - condensation gathers at the bottom so when they lift out to refill your glass, water drips, sometimes on you! Would be a simple solution to put a cork-type liner to absorb it. I thought the lack of table cloths would bother me, but really didn't. The food itself was good, no complaints. The music seemed to be a little loud for me. We never saw the Maitre'D. We had two handicapped people in our group, and our wait staff gave them both very special attention. All in all, it was fine.

We were on the 9/9 cruise and I found the dinner arrangements were beyond terrible. One evening we left the dining room without finishing our dinner, because it was taking too, too long to get served. We have been on 20+ cruises and the service was horrible (food being cold or the wrong dinner) We were sorely disappointed in the quality of food and especially the service.

We will be sailing again soon so we were not that bothered!

Got back from the valor Sept 25th and had a great time ---we had anytime dinning and yes I agree the first two nights the service was very slow-- But wait----- we got lucky on the third night we got "ANTHONY" from India who is a ten year waiter and he and his "team" are a working machine --They work fast and with no wasted moves-- so we asked for him the next five nights and service was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off Valor 5 day to Bahamas....We were allotted the Late dining, so I knew when we left that we would not spend many dinners in MDR...We did enjoy elegant night there. I had the roast duck, creamy potatoes, asparagus, and it was delicious. Creme Brulee for dessert. I felt bad before cruising that I would not make MDR every night, but once there I found so many other options...steakhouse, Guys (if you eat early), great choices at Lido. I was never disappointed. So, my one experience with the new American Table was positive (and quite tasty, too!)

We just got off the Valor on 9/30 and we thought most of the food in the main dining room was just ok. I didn't miss the tablecloths at all. I do think the tables are very cluttered and they should remove the wine glasses if they aren't being used. My husband tried to hand our waiter his wine glass on the first day and he took it and then put it back on the table. Luckily we were at a 6 top right next to a window so we just put it on the shelf by the window. Problem solved. The dinners took at least 1 and 1/2 hours every night and there was a long wait in between each course. The menu posted on the tv in the room did not always match the menu served that night so be sure to check it out at the dining room if you like to know what they are serving ahead of time. I did miss the Spaghetti Carbonara as that was one of my favorite dishes and was no longer on the menu.

On a good not, the best dessert I have ever had on a cruise I had at the Sea Day Brunch. The banana cream pie with salted caramel ice cream was delicious!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Valor yesterday. I'm not a fan of the American table but it is what it is. We did ask our waiter - Kittisak (who was awesome) if it would be possible to order right away and all at once because we were heading to the family comedian show. Every night, without fail, he took our orders right away, the appetizers came quickly and as soon as we were finished, the next course was ready. Typical superb service and Kittisak got a big tip. :)

We were on the sailing that debarked 10/8.

My opinion: The looks was fine. Tables are nice and not having tablecloths didn't bother me one bit. The tables are WAY too crowded, though, with stupid wine glasses that nobody uses. If they removed them, it would help. Was nice having a water carafe and bread crate on the table.

BUT out of the eight nights, we only ate in there four nights. Three nights it took well over two hours to eat. We did YTD. One night it took 1.45 but the other nights were painfully long. Painfully. The last time we went, we waited 35 minutes after ordering dessert.

The staff was hopping and were very friendly and did a great job. And this is is the first time that I actually liked the maitre'd and thought he did a great job. I don't know what the problem is, but the wait time is ridiculous.

Several in our group that had YTD eventually ditched it for the lido like we did.

Just back from the Valor, and ate in the MDR/early seating all 4 nights. I LOVED the US-themed bread plates on the tables, and looked forward to seeing the various types that our table got each evening. We also LOVED the bread basket on the table--the bread was warm, the butter easy-to-spread. One night we actually ate 2 baskets. Oops.

We enjoyed the water carafe on the table, and my husband was impressed by the water carafe coaster, which caught all of the water condensation drips and fit the bottom of the carafe exactly. The waiters seemed to be struggling somewhat with the carafe, as it was always very sweaty, and slippery. We didn't dare try to pick it up and pour water for ourselves.

I like the fact that the side dishes changed out nightly. But, I missed the comfort menu. I LOVED the pork chop that was on the "standard" menu, and my kids ate the salmon, chicken, and steak from the standard menu.

There were a wide variety of Mains to choose from, but none really ever appealed to me. I really like the Chicken Milanese on the last night. Very tender and flavorful. But, I missed the pasta "Starter" option on the old menu--especially since you could get those as an entree. (or vice versa).

The desserts seemed very fussy. The 2nd night there was some sort of strawberry dessert item, that included the description "rhubarb soup". Very confusing. Also, what the heck is a "Popcorn Pot De Creme"??? The Hazelnut Tiramisu is my new favorite!!!

Fav appetizer: the meatballs. My husband and I both agreed that we would love to eat those meatballs with a plate of spaghetti. Unfortunately, it was not an option.

Overall, I think the menu is OK. I'd have to see what it's like on a 7-day cruise, as this past cruise was just a 4-day.

CeleBrat