Any New Mid Sized Ships for RCl in the future?

jc foster

We love the port of Baltimore, and realize when the Vision ships age out of the system, there will be no sailing from Baltimore. It seems a big market to abandon.

Maybe some of the smaller ship companies will come to Baltimore. Crystal is using Baltimore as a port of call on their North American itineraries.

When I hear the comment by RCI that says "you won't even know you're on a cruise ship on the water", I get turned off. I LIKE to know that I'm on a cruise ship, sailing on the seas. We're trying Liberty OTS in Dec and that may be too big for us but we'll see. Then it's back to Brilliance followed my Serenade. Now those are cruise ships (in my opinion).

When I hear the comment by RCI that says "you won't even know you're on a cruise ship on the water", I get turned off. I LIKE to know that I'm on a cruise ship, sailing on the seas. We're trying Liberty OTS in Dec and that may be too big for us but we'll see. Then it's back to Brilliance followed my Serenade. Now those are cruise ships (in my opinion).

Hi, I appreciate the economics of this. However I have cruised on the Navigator and Freedom & Independence and hated what seemed like going to sea on a Mall. The mere thought of six thousand people on a ship horrifies me, ha!

I always check the passenger space ration, I have found this really helps me to know whether I will find the ship comfortable. (cruisedeckplans.com) So over time I will probably change to another line. I don't go on a cruise for a resort/entertainment experience but realize many people do. So the cruise lines will continue to select their consumer market as they are doing now and tailor their ships for their target market as they are evolving now.

There may be a problem for Ports like Tampa and Baltimore that cannot hold the bigger ships but I'm sure some cruise line will see the benefit of these markets and target certain ships for them. If one doesn't, another will. It's all about the money.

My favorite class is the Radiance because I feel like I am on a cruise and the PSR is excellent.

So hopefully in the future everyone will have some class of ships and size of ships for their own market.

Happy cruising to all of you!

Edited by Aislinncursala

Hi, I appreciate the economics of this. However having tried Navigator and Freedom & Independence and hating going to sea on a Mall, I will probably change to another line. I don't go on a cruise for a resort/entertainment experience but realize many people do. So I imagine the cruise lines will mark out their consumers and tailor their ships for their market as they are evolving and doing so now.

There will be a problem with the Ports like Tampa and Baltimore that cannot hold the bigger ships but I'm sure some cruise line will see the benefit of these markets and target certain ships for these. If one doesn't another will. It's all about the money.

My favorite class is the Radiance because I feel I am on a cruise. So hopefully in the future everyone will have some class of ships and size of ships for their market.

Happy cruising!

Do you dislike that you don't get an ocean view from many of the venues? I can understand that. It's not for everyone. Especially on a ship like Oasis, Central Park, Entertainment District, and Promenade are all totally enclosed. I didn't think much of it, but that makes a lot of sense why some would prefer a ship with more ocean views from the main venues.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am considering a very small line like Seabourn sometime next year. A nice 7 - 12 day with my wife.

Do you dislike that you don't get an ocean view from many of the venues? I can understand that. It's not for everyone. Especially on a ship like Oasis, Central Park, Entertainment District, and Promenade are all totally enclosed. I didn't think much of it, but that makes a lot of sense why some would prefer a ship with more ocean views from the main venues.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am considering a very small line like Seabourn sometime next year. A nice 7 - 12 day with my wife.

Thank you all for this discussion. I am now thinking also of other smaller lines with smaller or more mid-size ships, ha! I don't really know what would be considered mid-size anymore. But I have looked at Seabourn and Azamara and find it quite interesting where they can go with smaller ships. My next exploration, ha! So I appreciate these discussion. Happy cruising!!