Suggestions for excursions:nassau and cape canaveral

Beckery73

HELLO! Our family will be sailing on The Anthem of the Seas in late February. Our son is 11 and our daughter is 8. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some family oriented excursions that don't include Atlantis and scuba diving in Nassau or if they can suggest something fun in Cape Canaveral to do or see. My kids love the beach and sea life. Even considered doing the Pirate Museum in Nassau. Any thought or suggestions appreciated. Thank you!

Post of the Florida Departure Port board. Many folks who live in Port Canaveral answer questions there. We just visited Kennedy Space Center a few months ago with our granddaughter 14. Great for kids of all ages.

Check Nassau Port board for suggestions. We never get off ship in Nassau.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Another strong recommendation for the Kennedy Space Center. And do go over to the Florida Departures forum for more info on Port Canaveral, and the Nassau forum for that.

Saturn%20V%201024x678_zpssrrzbqyo.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

cocoa beach is right by the port. Clean beach and you can rent umbrella and chairs. There are two restaurants on the beach. Usual food and prices. There are clean bathrooms and changing facilities there. Heck, just bring a towel.

Ron Jon's (huge beach store) is directly across the street, including a CVS. Great for souvenirs.

Cape Canaveral is excellent, I think it is $60pp though.

I no longer get off at Nassau, but there is a free beach you can walk to, like Junkaroo sp? However I just find the streets too crowded and it's not a relaxing stroll for me.

I like the Disney package. The transportation is approximately 1 hour by bus. They park at the Transportation Center and you get one entrance to a park of your choice....no hopping. From the time you get off the bus you have 6 hours there. If you plan ahead, it's adequate. Yes, car rental would be cheaper but risky and a hassle. Through the cruiseline is a sure thing in this case. Vicki

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If your kids have experienced great interactive museums in the past they probably won't enjoy the pirate museum.

Static displays, some interesting history bits but nothing to keep a young wandering mind engaged for any length of time.

My 2 were older than yours but it really did nothing for them. Through in less than an hour.

YMMV.