Margarittaville At Sea is Everything Jimmy Buffet is NOT!

Lido_Deck

I'm currently on the Escape and we are in Tortola today...

Margarittaville on the Escape is everything Jimmy Buffet is not...dull, boring, serene and peaceful. It's so pitiful that a true Parrothead would be completely repulsed. I'm a bit surprised whoever now owns Margarittaville (Brazillians?) is not more vigilant at protecting their brands as NCL is diminishing it.

It is, however a nice quiet place to catch a nap, read book or have a quiet breakfast when the Garden Cafe is a madhouse. The omelette maker is usually standing around bored out of his mind EVERY morning and it seems to make him quite happy when he actually has a guest in front of him.

Overall, Margarittaville at Sea is a [MASSIVE FAILURE!] only because of NCL's half-assed attempt at this. Music, which is at the very heart of Margarittaville, is often not playing at all and if it is it's at a low, sedate volume. Even when they have had a Jimmy Buffet CD playing (twice in the last 5 days) no one bothered to change it or start it again when the music stopped. There are no TV monitors running Jimmy Buffet videos, no plastic palm trees, no parrots, no surfboards hanging on the walls or from the ceiling, nothing really, just a couple of Margarittaville signs and Jimmy Buffet themed table tops. There aren't even any signs with the funny sayings that create the Margarittaville mindset and attitude. This place is a Parrothead's worst nightmare...boredom!

The pictures below were taken at 9:00 AM on a sea day when the Garden Cafe was jammed elbow to elbow...

IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_7613.jpgIMG_7612.jpg

I was on Escape in August this year, and found Margaritaville mostly empty most of the time. My group ate lunch there on our last sea day, and there were a few more people around then (but not many). Their Beach Club sandwich (Mom and I split it) was good though. I have never been in a Margaritaville on land, so I would have nothing to compare the Margaritaville at sea to.

Hope you are having a nice trip and thanks for the update. From what others have posted it has been quiet as well.

One thing I didn't realize is that they serve breakfast there. Is there a charge for breakfast or is more like overflow space for breakfast like they have on some of the other ships?

Going in 3 weeks. What do they offer for Breakfast?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a buffet just like the Garden Cafe one floor down. They have the omelette maker (or eggs as you like it), bacon, pork and turkey sausage links, some interesting battered potato slices, pastries, fruit cups, yogurt, fresh fruit, as well as the usual coffee and juices. If they don't have what you want, go down one to the Garden Cafe, get it and come back up to Margarittaville.

FYI, there's only 1 T in Margaritaville, but 2 in Jimmy Buffett.

They have omelets there now? Breakfast is back? That would be good. I think breakfast hasn't been offered there since the transatlantic. Too bad it's not still ordered from the unique breakfast menu.

One of the biggest complaints I had about Flamingo and Uptown Grill switching to Margaritaville was losing a breakfast option, but it sounds like NCL has come through. That's good.

Edited by LrgPizza

Overall, Margarittaville at Sea is a [MASSIVE FAILURE!]

I agree.

It all started when NCL announced that Margaritaville would be complimentary. The idea was that people could zip in and zip out for a quick bite/drink or sit down for a meal.

During the first few sailing, it was very popular. So popular that NCL decided to make it à la carte. That turned people off and now, nobody cares about Margaritaville. The place was usually empty or nearly empty when we were there.

My wife actually liked the food there but after the first time (with the blaring music), we ordered it as room service for the rest of the cruise.

Hope you are having a nice trip and thanks for the update. From what others have posted it has been quiet as well.

One thing I didn't realize is that they serve breakfast there. Is there a charge for breakfast or is more like overflow space for breakfast like they have on some of the other ships?

No charge at all. It's another complimentary restaurant for breakfast. I was speaking to the Assistant Hotel Director Ivan and he told me they had a problem getting the overflow from the Garden Cafe up there for breakfast. I told him the problem was the perception by guests that it is a fee restaurant. He didn't say anything and just had this deer in the headlights look on his face.

We sailed in January of this year. I'm a pretty early riser so I would go sit by the windows and grab coffee from the service area they had set up outside. I was literally the only person ever in there and I never saw any one else get coffee from the setup they had outside either. A real waste of space on such a crowded ship. They need to move on from the co-branded faux 'theme' concept before their ships feel like an airport caliber chain restaurant location.

Good to hear they're open for breakfast now. I'm sure that's not a margaritaville menu. The land based ones aren't open for breakfast.

I've said all along that the NCL version is not like the land based version. So people thinking it is, will be really disappointed. Actually the food the same, but nobody goes there for the food. It's the atmosphere, which the NCL version doesn't have. I've seen a lot of people justify it by saying how good the nachos are. I agree. They are way better than the ones in O'Sheehans. But, are nachos worth an entire restaurant space. I think not.

Bring back the Flamingo and Uptown Grill. Overall, the food was much better.

Great nachos and awesome burgers. It is a great place to relax, have a few drinks, and eat some munchies without all of the obnoxiousness of a real Margaritaville. If it was a shorter booze cruise, it would probably turn into that very quickly. Luckily, they are 7-day cruises. We happen to love it for an adult beverage and snack!

Great nachos and awesome burgers. It is a great place to relax, have a few drinks, and eat some munchies without all of the obnoxiousness of a real Margaritaville. If it was a shorter booze cruise, it would probably turn into that very quickly. Luckily, they are 7-day cruises. We happen to love it for an adult beverage and snack!

Nachos and burgers? Why not just go to O'Sheenans, then?

Hi- Thank you for this advice regarding breakfast- we will utilize this next month on Getaway & Escape (if its on both that is)- I am wondering what the cost is for the food during the day- I certainly cannot imagine people wanting to pay for similar food to that of O'Sheehans

So, I am a bit confused. We love/loved Flamingo Grill on Getaway for lunch and mainly breakfast. I was under the impression Margaritaville was not a free restaurant. Is it complimentary? Thanks!

Complimentary for breakfast only.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by denatravels