Don't want nor need Explore4 - can you book without?

Cruiserbillyboo

Cool....glad it worked out for you. You are doing the round trip out of Seattle then? I would like to do that someday.

We are. I was stationed in Anchorage about 30 years ago, so it will be fun seeing what has changed there since then. Also looking forward to seeing Homer and Kodiak as we have never been there yet.

I wonder why they don't "fix" this. Surely if they just write down cabin numbers at the pier for water takers they have to put though a register later. Or if not writing on paper but scanning card then it is sort of a register isn't it? There doesn't seem to be a reason they could not allow it to run though as a bar purchase once they key it in later.

From what customer service told us, it has to do with keeping track of the number count since you are limited to 15 drinks per day. If they have to hand write a ticket for a bottle of water, it may take longer than a day to process it. However, if they have an electronic means of recording the purchase like they do on the Koningsdam and some of their other ships, then it's no problem. In any event you can always check once you're onboard the ship and then come up with a plan. Our plan is to store up extra bottles of water in our room frig and them take them when we leave the ship on an excursion.

From what customer service told us, it has to do with keeping track of the number count since you are limited to 15 drinks per day. If they have to hand write a ticket for a bottle of water, it may take longer than a day to process it. However, if they have an electronic means of recording the purchase like they do on the Koningsdam and some of their other ships, then it's no problem. In any event you can always check once you're onboard the ship and then come up with a plan. Our plan is to store up extra bottles of water in our room frig and them take them when we leave the ship on an excursion.

We do the same - water PLUS beer and soda!

We talked with our HAL PCC and she said the price would be the price we had originally booked it for (ie, $30 more). So, it was a win win for us, especially since we had 3 Vista suites booked. Our family can drink a lot of fluids in a 2 week period!

Jackpot! With their new Plan a Cruise Month OBC offer that now goes along with the Explore4 package, we paid the extra $30 pp and got $150 pp extra to go along with the Explore4 perks. As some folks have mentioned earlier, it all depends on the cruise you have booked whether or not it's a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would check on my own bookings current pricing and the Explore 4 status and called HAL directly.

Surprised that they almost expect you to ask about the without explore4 price. She quickly gave me the quote both ways. Even had a name for it something like "low price rate" or some words to that effect.

I would save $100 pp for an obstructed "H" (1508, tax included) and $200 pp with a VH balcony (1833 tax included). I think some people would think it a good value for the $100pp more.

I didn't check suite and higher levels, but it seems the savings would grow incrementally with category costs.

But as mentioned before, I lucked out on a temporary over-the-weekend price drop a few weeks ago and we got our "H" obstructed for 1247 pp, tax included, so I ain't changing nuthin'!

On an off topic note...I was very impressed when offered a free upgrade to a VA category cabin from a VH because that is the level of our needed handicap facilities. Also noticed on their website that there are now excursions specifically titled "accessible" and booked so you can be sure of the proper transport. Good job HAL!

Edited by Tinknock50