Does age matter on solo cruise?

Idavikam

Does it matter? Is it easier to meet people as a solo when you're in your 40-50s than in your 30s? Or even 20s. Im a bit nervous about going solo, but decided to give it a try. Im a girl, 31 years, I've met lots of people on previous cruises, but then with my friends, and now Im wondering if it will be harder being alone as a girl. Are there mostly younger or more adult solos? Im planing on doing a NCL cruise, on the Escape. Not going to do the studio as its more expensive than other staterooms.

Thanks for any thoughts and replies:):)

Edited by Idavikam

Does it matter? Is it easier to meet people as a solo when you're in your 40-50s than in your 30s? Or even 20s. Im a bit nervous about going solo, but decided to give it a try. Im a girl, 31 years, I've met lots of people on previous cruises, but then with my friends, and now Im wondering if it will be harder being alone as a girl. Are there mostly younger or more adult solos? Im planing on doing a NCL cruise, on the Escape. Not going to do the studio as its more expensive than other staterooms.

I don't think age matters at all. I think it is about the individual. I am

58 and started cruising when I was 45. I wish I started at 31:)

I always sail solo and love it:D

From what I have read about NCL, I think you will probably find other

solo's on board (I have never sailed with them).

I hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

I did a solo on the Escape in February (or March?) , I was not in a studio but did go to the gatherings in the studio lounge when it was open around 6pm , and ate dinner with the group that was usually set up by the studio planner from NCL. (She is excellent by the way, she gets reservations for the group, plans anything you need, and does a great job of getting everyone chit chatting)

I'm mid 40's and single, and the crowd varied in age fro mid 20's to 80. Most were in the late 30's to early 50s range. They were all very interesting people and I enjoyed dinner every night.

You'll have no problem meeting people if you go to the first few solo socials, everyone is there to meet and mingle and maybe find an activity partner for an excursion they want to take.

I would agree with Lois, I think it depends on the individual more than anything else. I have been sailing solo for quite a few years now, and I have not had any problems meeting people when sailing solo. I have a more outgoing personality so someone who is more of an introvert might have more trouble meeting people. I think the suggestion above about going to the solo meets aboard the escape would be a good one. At least it gives you a chance to meet some other solos. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

My experience is only from longer 10 days+ non caribbean cruises. I am sure it is different depending on the length and itinerary.

From my experience especially younger people (meaning 27 years and younger) cruise either as groups of friends or as a couple and are more sticking together most of the time.

Couples after a couple of years marriage seem, as a generalisation, be more relaxed about doing different stuff during the days so they get easier into chatting with solo travellers.

My first cruise was with around 27 and pretty much all interesting people I met as a solo traveler so far have been older than me, so the closer I am getting to their age the easier it is to have common interests and experiences.

But especially on a ship the size of the Escape all of that really doesn't matter. You will probably only interact with less than 5% of the guests and it is nearly impossible that there will be no one interesting to meet. Important is to meet the people early in the cruise, nothing more frustrating to just get to know them on the second to last day.

Hi - i did my first solo cruise at 30 then 31 and 33 and have always found the age group of solos very varied and have never had any issues finding people i get on with.

My favourite solo trip was with NCL hense booking again (i leave on Saturday at the ripe old age of 35 ;)). They cater so well for solos and the NCL one i went on had the most 'younger' people on.

Do it - i promise i never once regretted my decision to go solo!

Edited by MrsP1981

I don't think age matters at all. I think it is about the individual. I am

58 and started cruising when I was 45. I wish I started at 31:)

I always sail solo and love it:D

From what I have read about NCL, I think you will probably find other

solo's on board (I have never sailed with them).

I hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

Thank you!:) Im glad I got into the "cruising" now, theres is so much to see and do, that Im going to continue til I cant anymore :D Glad to hear you love going solo, seems like most do when they first give it a try:D

I did a solo on the Escape in February (or March?) , I was not in a studio but did go to the gatherings in the studio lounge when it was open around 6pm , and ate dinner with the group that was usually set up by the studio planner from NCL. (She is excellent by the way, she gets reservations for the group, plans anything you need, and does a great job of getting everyone chit chatting)

I'm mid 40's and single, and the crowd varied in age fro mid 20's to 80. Most were in the late 30's to early 50s range. They were all very interesting people and I enjoyed dinner every night.

You'll have no problem meeting people if you go to the first few solo socials, everyone is there to meet and mingle and maybe find an activity partner for an excursion they want to take.

That sounds very good, I like a varied age even though it doesnt really matter, its the people that do in the end:)

When there was gatherings at det studio lounge, was it open for anyone, or did you have to talk to someone to get access there? That seems like a really good way to go to meet people, especially the first days. Thanks for the tips:D

I would agree with Lois, I think it depends on the individual more than anything else. I have been sailing solo for quite a few years now, and I have not had any problems meeting people when sailing solo. I have a more outgoing personality so someone who is more of an introvert might have more trouble meeting people. I think the suggestion above about going to the solo meets aboard the escape would be a good one. At least it gives you a chance to meet some other solos. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you:) Im not that outgoing, or I can be, but I can be a bit shy and quiet meeting people, not the first one to walk up to people. But I do love to challenge my self, so Im just gonna go for it, start the conversation, and go to gatherings. I mean, most people are really nice and fun, so nothing scary about that right:D

My experience is only from longer 10 days+ non caribbean cruises. I am sure it is different depending on the length and itinerary.

From my experience especially younger people (meaning 27 years and younger) cruise either as groups of friends or as a couple and are more sticking together most of the time.

Couples after a couple of years marriage seem, as a generalisation, be more relaxed about doing different stuff during the days so they get easier into chatting with solo travellers.

My first cruise was with around 27 and pretty much all interesting people I met as a solo traveler so far have been older than me, so the closer I am getting to their age the easier it is to have common interests and experiences.

But especially on a ship the size of the Escape all of that really doesn't matter. You will probably only interact with less than 5% of the guests and it is nearly impossible that there will be no one interesting to meet. Important is to meet the people early in the cruise, nothing more frustrating to just get to know them on the second to last day.

Thats very true, its always so frustrating meeting the people you get along the best with, on the last night. So i'll go mingle the first days, and just talk to everyone(who wants to talk to me of course:p), and have a blast.

Hi - i did my first solo cruise at 30 then 31 and 33 and have always found the age group of solos very varied and have never had any issues finding people i get on with.

My favourite solo trip was with NCL hense booking again (i leave on Saturday at the ripe old age of 35 ;)). They cater so well for solos and the NCL one i went on had the most 'younger' people on.

Do it - i promise i never once regretted my decision to go solo!

Oh, how exciting, saturday is very close:D And Im so glad to hear that NCL are så great with solos. Maybe I'll just do like you, about one solo cruise a year;) Just win the lottery and I'll move in on a ship.

Have a great vacation and enjoy your cruise:):)

I am 30 and will be going on my first solo cruise in February. I am excited but a little nervous / anxious as it is a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise. I am hoping it goes well as I already have a second solo booked for April 2018.

Wow thats exciting, I love that you allready booked your second solo too, even before going on the first one. I would think 10 days is a lot better than 7 days, 7 days flies by too quickly, even when not having fun lol. Im sure you'll have a great time, as I've been talking to more people about solo cruising, it seems like everybody loves it, so Im just very excited about it now:D

Edited by Idavikam

I always tell solo cruisers do NOT focus on the going solo part of a cruise. It may seem logical; but it isn't practical. The fact is you are going solo. Nothing you can do about. I don't care if you are 18 or 80. It's all in your attitude; not your age. If you want to have a good time and meet people - you will. Cruise ships now cater to all ages and types. Of course I can't guarantee you anything, but what better place to meet other social people then on a cruise ship. It's a float party so to speak. Focus on the things you want to see and do during your cruise on and off the ship. Focus on learning everything you can about the ship and ports of call. Make a list and check it twice. Who care's if you are doing this solo. The alternative is staying home and watching TV..vs three daily gourmet meals, daily room service, top entertainment and visiting exotic ports of call. If you place a smile on your face and go with a positive attitude people will be drawn to you. People go on cruise to meet others and have shared experiences. I've yet gone on a cruise solo and not had a great time. Traveling solo can be scary...I understand that; but it also can be a rich and rewarding too. Nuff said. :)

I always tell solo cruisers do NOT focus on the going solo part of a cruise. It may seem logical; but it isn't practical. The fact is you are going solo. Nothing you can do about. I don't care if you are 18 or 80. It's all in your attitude; not your age. If you want to have a good time and meet people - you will. Cruise ships now cater to all ages and types. Of course I can't guarantee you anything, but what better place to meet other social people then on a cruise ship. It's a float party so to speak. Focus on the things you want to see and do during your cruise on and off the ship. Focus on learning everything you can about the ship and ports of call. Make a list and check it twice. Who care's if you are doing this solo. The alternative is staying home and watching TV..vs three daily gourmet meals, daily room service, top entertainment and visiting exotic ports of call. If you place a smile on your face and go with a positive attitude people will be drawn to you. People go on cruise to meet others and have shared experiences. I've yet gone on a cruise solo and not had a great time. Traveling solo can be scary...I understand that; but it also can be a rich and rewarding too. Nuff said. :)

Thank you for a very good respond, I think you just pushed me the last cm over the edge that I needed, Im booking my solo cruise, and I will have a great time. Im so excited. All great points, its all about the attitude and the aproche to people. Thanks for all great responds guys:D

One of my best solo cruises: five, very different passesngers ended up dining nightly at a different speciality restaurant. We had a 78 yr old lady from Toronto, a 40ish gay guy from Canada, a 30 yr old Matthew McCoughay look alike, a 40 yr old divorced guy from NJ, and me, a 50 yr old widow from NY.....wide age span, different life perspectives, and delightful company!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

no worries on age. i been travel solo since my early 20's

now into late 30s

done everything from road trips, backpack, bus tours, etc

now in to cruises last few years

always good

for a cruise. seems just be active on the ship and you will meet others, no worries on being solo. like have a dinner in the dining room , i found often others around you may strike up conversation

also consider doing one of the tours by the cruise ship, where you get be close to others etc

more less look happy and go play it by ear

• 5 weeks later...

I (single male age 50)cruise solo quite often and have no problem meeting people or having a good time...and I am somewhat shy at first. I meet people from all age groups and backgrounds and have had a great time with them.

However forgive me but I am going to get parental here for a moment, Just be careful like you would anywhere else in letting people know you are traveling Solo. Even as a male very few people on ship know I am traveling completely solo....I tell most I am traveling with a group of friends.

Have a Great Trip.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great to hear =]

I am turning 30 next year and I'm taking a 7 day cruise on the Escape. I booked a solo cabin and have UBP. I cruised the Star over 2015 Xmas with the girl I was dating at the time and loved it.

We had booked the Epic for this Xmas but broke up - but I still have that desire to sail on a fancy newer mega ship. The Escape seems so large and there are so many activities I think it would be a great solo relaxing trip.

What age demographic do you find most the solo cruisers? I always liked meeting a cruise gal for the trip ;)

I'm actually really stoked to cruise solo, I don't have to do anything at all that I don't want to do. From waking up in the morning to workout, to eating/drinking/lots of gambling, and even SCUBA in St. Marteen so, I'm stoked to say the least!

I (single male age 50)cruise solo quite often and have no problem meeting people or having a good time...and I am somewhat shy at first. I meet people from all age groups and backgrounds and have had a great time with them.

However forgive me but I am going to get parental here for a moment, Just be careful like you would anywhere else in letting people know you are traveling Solo. Even as a male very few people on ship know I am traveling completely solo....I tell most I am traveling with a group of friends.

Have a Great Trip.

That's good advice uncleg!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Forums mobile app