New to Cunard, new to QG

Lazy Sailor

We are looking forward to Southampton - SF in Jan 2017 on the QE, switching from short cruises and small boats (Seadream, Azamara). Gathered lots of good tips & info from all the postings & replies. However, any extra hints or tips would be appreciated, especially about OBC, wine packages & other drink-related topics.

(btw, we are from UK, if that makes the answers any different)

other drink-related topics.

(btw, we are from UK, if that makes the answers any different)

As you know, you will get 2 x litre bottles of spirits and as much beer and mixers as you want in QG. These will be replenished as required, including the spirits, FOC, as long as you're nice to your butler.

Many of us bring on a few extra bottles, such as champagne, for personal use or the odd cocktail party.

We've never purchased the wine package as we've always felt that you become restricted and prefer to order day by day.

In the restaurant your sommelier will keep any left overs for your next visit. For example, last November, I ordered a bottle of port to accompany my cheese and every night after we'd finished the main course the port would appear.

I'm sure you will settle in quite quickly and easily.

Stewart

We are also new to both Cunard and QG. There was a promotion when we booked that included a free "drinks package". I inquired about this recently thinking it would be very restrictive but what I'm told is that it includes all drinks in all bars and restaurants up to a $15 per drink charge (but excludes coffee for some strange reason) - so if "as advertised", we may not have a bar bill at all. Anyone know if this will have any "hidden catches"? We asked for a bottle of red wine and one of gin in the room so if they really replenish we will be good there too. And lots of diet coke, that is a must too. PS - does anyone know if the Queen's Grill opens for lunch? or do we have lunch in Britannia or the Golden Lion?

JTor ... we, also, are newbies (next month) to Queen's Grill and Cunard. I found this at the following link:

http://www.cunard.com/cunard-experience/why-cunard/grills-experience/

Dine at a time that suits you for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Enjoy a sublime menu in the Grill restaurants designed to whet every appetite.

Our extensive wine list features some of the world’s best vineyards and vintages.

Alternatively enjoy course by course dishes from the Grill restaurant menu, served in the comfort of your suite.

Great reading on the whole page.

Cheers!

Just to warn you that you may be doomed. We first went on Cunard in 1997, on QE2. Because it was a one-off holiday of a lifetime, we upgraded to QG. Now, all these years later, we still go on Cunard every year, and still go in QG. We are considerably poorer than if we had stopped after our first voyage, but it has been worth every penny. Nonetheless, you should know what you are letting yourself in for.:):)

Jane

Just to warn you that you may be doomed. We first went on Cunard in 1997, on QE2. Because it was a one-off holiday of a lifetime, we upgraded to QG. Now, all these years later, we still go on Cunard every year, and still go in QG. We are considerably poorer than if we had stopped after our first voyage, but it has been worth every penny. Nonetheless, you should know what you are letting yourself in for.

Jane

:) :) :)

(Two friends, whom I introduced to Cunard (and indeed ships generally), seriously starting in 2011, are now both Diamond CWC level. One has done a FULL world cruise, and both have enjoyed Princess and Queens Grill (as well as Britannia) on all three ships. They keep telling me they are going to present me with their "bill for the money spent with Cunard as it is all YOUR fault". They say they'll discount their personal spending money; it is just money spent on their fares they are seeking to be repaid :eek: :eek: :eek: )

I endorse what has already been said. Once you have cruised in the Grills and if the formality of Cunard suits you, you really will not want to consider any other way of cruising. It is a very well kept secret and highly addictive!!!

Enjoy !