Windstar Tahiti Cruise- What abt Cash Money?

VetteCity

Can anyone tell me where I should get CFP (the Tahitian francs)? Should we get them in LAX, or should we wait and do an exchange at Papeete at their airport or at the hotel we will stay at overnight before boarding our cruise? AND, do we need a lot of cash? We are doing a 10 day cruise with stops at several islands. Do they take credit cards? Like AmEx? Or, do we need to have cash? Anyone give me a ballpark estimate? I know we will want to buy pearls. TIA!!

Welcome to posting on Cruise Critic. Have you asked on the board here for Pacific Islands, under Ports of Call? Have you checked to see if there is a ROLL CALL for your cruise, to see what other cruisers are doing? And have you asked on the board here for Windstar, under Cruise Lines P-Z? Alll possible sources of info here on CC. EM

For money exchange I go to my local Coin store. Yup, who knew that people trade their foreign currencies there! I have a friend who traveled extensively for months at a time and at short notice (camera man for the movies). He gave me this tip and it was great to get the Euros I needed for my Med cruise and in different denominations so I could have my tour money sorted and accounted for before I went. Best exchange rate that I could find too.