Norwegian Dawn - suite tipping question

JillL

We sailed in the Garden Villa in August 2016. Win was our cabin steward, and we felt he went above and beyond the service level we have EVER received.....and we have traveled a lot. We gave him $150 and wished that we could have given him more. We did, however, write a letter to Norwegian, detailing what great service we received from him. I sure hope he was recognized for his exceptional service. He surely is a gem!

Our butler, Made, was ok. Reserved and serious, and met our requests (which were few). We tipped him $100 for the week.

Our concierge, Roel, was ok as well. Met our requests, which again were minimal. We tipped him $100 for the week as well.

Hope this helps!

We sailed in the Garden Villa in August 2016. Win was our cabin steward, and we felt he went above and beyond the service level we have EVER received.....and we have traveled a lot. We gave him $150 and wished that we could have given him more. We did, however, write a letter to Norwegian, detailing what great service we received from him. I sure hope he was recognized for his exceptional service. He surely is a gem!

Our butler, Made, was ok. Reserved and serious, and met our requests (which were few). We tipped him $100 for the week.

Our concierge, Roel, was ok as well. Met our requests, which again were minimal. We tipped him $100 for the week as well.

Hope this helps!

Wow, Only $100 for the butler and concierge when you stayed in the garden villa? Were you not treated like royalty in the GV? We sure were and tipped a LOT more. We tipped the butler $750, the concierge $600 and the room steward $200. There were 4 of us in the villa, and one who slept in another cabin, but got all GV privileges (he booked th4 room for sleeping only as we needed one more bedroom).

We even thought maybe we didn't tip enough. I guess tipping really is subjective.

Note - when we have stayed in other suites with just the 2 of us, we have tipped only $150-$200 for the butler and $0 to $200 for the concierge. Our experience was very bad one time with the concierge, which is where the $0 comes from.

Edited by maja651

Wow, Only $100 for the butler and concierge when you stayed in the garden villa? Were you not treated like royalty in the GV? We sure were and tipped a LOT more. We tipped the butler $750, the concierge $600 and the room steward $200. There were 4 of us in the villa, and one who slept in another cabin, but got all GV privileges (he booked th4 room for sleeping only as we needed one more bedroom).

We even thought maybe we didn't tip enough. I guess tipping really is subjective.

Note - when we have stayed in other suites with just the 2 of us, we have tipped only $150-$200 for the butler and $0 to $200 for the concierge. Our experience was very bad one time with the concierge, which is where the $0 comes from.

I would think that if you were in the Garden Villa you should be expected to be treated like royalty! I agree that tipping is subjective and that 100 is probably low for the Garden Villa; however, considering what you pay to stay there I think 200 would be fair. I believe I overtipped my butler because he didn't treat us like royalty. Our room stewards have always been the best! And they work harder as well! I would rather tip them more than the guy who shows me how to use my coffee machine and brings me snacks. JMHO

I'm from the uk and find all this tipping annoying but tend to tip the butler according to how often I get breakfast and how well the coffee machine is stocked up. Apart from that do not use them much.On my last cruise in The Haven on the Epic saw the steward more often than the butler and found him more helpful so did tip him well.

Personally I do not find the concierge very useful, especially as I will book all speciality dining on line once I am 100 days out but will tip if I ask them to modify the bookings once on board.

I'm from the uk and find all this tipping annoying but tend to tip the butler according to how often I get breakfast and how well the coffee machine is stocked up. Apart from that do not use them much.On my last cruise in The Haven on the Epic saw the steward more often than the butler and found him more helpful so did tip him well.

Personally I do not find the concierge very useful, especially as I will book all speciality dining on line once I am 100 days out but will tip if I ask them to modify the bookings once on board.

So, I have never been to Europe - sadly! Is tipping not done there? Just curious.

So, I have never been to Europe - sadly! Is tipping not done there? Just curious.

As in New Zealand tipping is rare in much of Europe. We certainly don't tip at home and extremely rarely in Europe. But we do in North America, "When in Rome ..."; but not to the same extent as North Americans.

As in New Zealand tipping is rare in much of Europe. We certainly don't tip at home and extremely rarely in Europe. But we do in North America, "When in Rome ..."; but not to the same extent as North Americans.

So, would it be considered rude to tip when in your country? Very interesting to hear about this difference.

So, would it be considered rude to tip when in your country? Very interesting to hear about this difference.

I don't know about "rude" but it is just not done. Probably done in the top class (most expensive) hotels with lots of foreign staff and many North American visitors.

We know that the price we see on a menu, a taxi meter, a coach tour, a bus fare and so on is the total we have to pay.

Then you realize that if you travel to the US that the respective price is LOWER? Because of the tip structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then you realize that if you travel to the US that the respective price is LOWER? Because of the tip structure.

Of course; but there is not the expectation of a tip here; if someone tips it is because they WANT to not because it is EXPECTED. Nor is there that expectation of a tip at a specific level.

I always tell the story of dining with my son-in-law and family, they live in Burnaby BC. I pay for the meal and he pays the tip. He works in the trade and his expectation of tips (both giving and receiving) is far greater than my willingness to pay.

Hi DMH - (Think we were on Celebrity Infinity to Iceland?)

OK, this gets complicated! In the U.K. all wait staff should be on a minimum wage so I tend to tip 10% rounded up for most meals out - BUT give this in cash and do not add to bill when paying by credit card as a lot of companies deduct charges. Always ask staff and they are more than happy with this.

The $10 upwards per person per day for butlers, concierge etc no matter what services they provide does not compute. As I stated in an earlier post why should I tip a concierge when they do nothing for me? Also when in a suite the DSC is higher, but for some reason none of this goes to the butler/concierge??

There is also a difference in levels of tips, I am on Cunard tomorrow, they add 15% on drinks etc, When I am on NCL in 2017 they add 18%. Hence the confusion..

{Snipped}

OK, this gets complicated! In the U.K. all wait staff should be on a minimum wage so I tend to tip 10% rounded up for most meals out -

Interesting figure!! From what I have found a tip of only 10% in North America is almost looked on as an insult. I don't think that 10% is even an option as a suggested tip on restaurant bills any more.

A few years ago in Las Vegas we did a bus tour and there was a notice above the driver indicating that the company expected a tip of 15%. There were 50 people on the bus and the fare had been USD80. You work it out but I can tell you that it worked out to more than I get a month in NZ National Super. :mad:

{Snipped}

OK, this gets complicated! In the U.K. all wait staff should be on a minimum wage so I tend to tip 10% rounded up for most meals out -

Interesting figure!! From what I have found a tip of only 10% in North America is almost looked on as an insult. I don't think that 10% is even an option as a suggested tip on restaurant bills any more.

A few years ago in Las Vegas we did a bus tour and there was a notice above the driver indicating that the company expected a tip of 15%. There were 50 people on the bus and the fare had been USD80. You work it out but I can tell you that it worked out to more than I get a month in NZ National Super. :mad:

So, if I am understanding this tipping thing here...In NZ the bus tour would have cost 88.50 and no tipping - here the driver would have gotten 8.50 per person. The thing is that while 15% is considered normal we go higher or lower depending on the service. If my waiter gives poor service I don't tip 15%. Most wait staff will work their butts off to make you happy because their tips are a huge part of their salary. All that being said...I rarely tip on tours and have never seen a sign like you did. Most say you can tip...not it's expected. So, working out your bus tour - if everybody tipped the driver 15% it's 450.00 - that doesn't seem extreme to me. The company gets 4K for the tour...that's a good business!! Think about how much NCL gets per excursion! Packing all those people on a catamaran! LOL Again, though - and I think most Americans would agree with me...tipping is earned not mandatory (unless you have a very large party in a restaurant) so don't feel obligated here to tip if the service is not up to par! Edit to say don't feel obligated to tip 15 percent...the service has to be awful to stiff the waiter - and I have only ever done it once but I involved the manager so it came as no surprise.

Edited by Nolanoel

We sailed on the Dawn last week. They had shuffled the butlers and we ended up with Dominic. Having sailed in a lot of suites, we thought that Dominic was the WORST butler we ever had. Yeah, he kept the gummy bears and M&M bowls full,,,, but didn't meet the mark in many respects.

In general

Butler $10 per person per day

Concierge $5 per person per day

Steward $5 per person per day

I wonder if there is more than one Dominic? We were in the DOS, he wrote down everything, brought me cream everyday (I hate the little coffee creamers), arranged to have our steward decorate the suite for our anniversary, kept the water and soda stocked, set up breakfast for us once (we never ate lunch or dinner in the suite). He exchanged out one of our bottles of alcohol. It was our 5th time in a suite on the DAWN and he was by far our best butler.

I wonder if there is more than one Dominic? We were in the DOS, he wrote down everything, brought me cream everyday (I hate the little coffee creamers), arranged to have our steward decorate the suite for our anniversary, kept the water and soda stocked, set up breakfast for us once (we never ate lunch or dinner in the suite). He exchanged out one of our bottles of alcohol. It was our 5th time in a suite on the DAWN and he was by far our best butler.

Great idea about the creamer!! I hate those little creamers too! Thanks! I am finding out about sooooo many things that I missed out on - I may not need the M & M's but I want them..lol

Great idea about the creamer!! I hate those little creamers too! Thanks! I am finding out about sooooo many things that I missed out on - I may not need the M & M's but I want them..lol

We soaked the gummy bears in Captain Morgan's Rum and had "rummy gummies" that we shared at the pool, LOL!!

I didn't ask Dominic for the cream, he saw me walking back from the buffet with a cup full of cream and told me he would get it for me for the rest of the cruise, and he did!!

Edited by pathubia

We soaked the gummy bears in Captain Morgan's Rum and had "rummy gummies" that we shared at the pool, LOL!!

I didn't ask Dominic for the cream, he saw me walking back from the buffet with a cup full of cream and told me he would get it for me for the rest of the cruise, and he did!!

Love it!! Rummy gummies! I am so excited...68 days til my cruise and about to book the re-positioning cruise in April. Gummies, M&M's and cream! LOL