Vision of the Seas/Mexican Riviera Questions

jenjes3

Hi.. husband and I are thinking of sailing the Mexican Riviera in October 2006. We would love any info about the Vision of the Seas. Anyone sail her recently? We are platnium members and have been on the Soverign, Granduer, Voyager, Explorer, Serenade, Enchantment and most recently the Adventure of the Seas. We want to try something different then the usual caribbean.

Anyone just sail in October? how was weather? Pacific Ocean? Ports? nice beaches? suggestions?

Thank you for your help... We also see that Norwegian sails the "Star" and Carnival sails the "Pride".. never been on either line... any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Karen

Well, you see by my signature, I'm pretty qualified to answer this post. (about 8 west coast cruises) You have sailed with Royal and are used to the perks. We really missed alot of them when we sailed on the Pride. Being platinum members, you would really miss priority embarkation.

We love the Mex Riv. It is very different then the Caribbean and when people expect it to be the same, they are disappointed. You have to expect the Pacific Ocean, and know the difference. This is a very friendly cruise. Always.

The ports are great. If its your first time, and want the to familiarize your self with each port, go into town with a tour. Mazatlan's city tour is good, for a one time thing. Its a very old city with alot of history.

Cabo is VERY Americanized and there for Mexican holiday's. The beaches and bars are the thing. (we love Cabo)

P.V. Is beautiful. More tropical. More romantic. A walk downtown and something to do in the Jungle is pretty important here. Ether the canopy tour, or some kind of jungle tour. The cobble stone streets of down town are something to go and stroll.

After getting a feel for each port, its fun to go back and do other things. (water sports, etc.)

The water is darker and colder then the Caribbean. Cabo snorkeling is a bit chilly, but good. Water in P.V. is warm and there is some good diving.

Also every single time EXCEPT our last, (Feb.2005) the trip home, northbound is rough, and rocky. We expect it, and love it. Also expect the last day to be chilly while cruising northbound. When people expect a warm day at the pool that last day, they are disappointed.

The Vision. We love her. Lots of Brass and Glass and always one of the friendliest crews we have encountered. This cruise is Mexico, all the way. Its different then the Caribbean. As it should be. We Love it!

In Mazatlan, RCI's city tour really is good.:) In P.V. the local taxi/van drivers absolutely love to show you around. Very personalized and you can really see alot this way. They are right there with signs as you get off the ship. Also you can book the canopy tour outside of Royal. Just a note, if you have Never been to Mazatlan, ever, and do Rani's horses, you will have a great day,(of course, I love Randi) but you will also miss out on getting introduced to Mazatlan. Everyone should be introduced once. ;)

ccletzgo@aol.com

We just came home from Vision Oct16-23.

The cruise was wonderful. Everything was excellent, starting with our great Muster Station #14 -- the most fun I've had at a Muster Station, to our stateroom attendant -Victor, and our waiter -- Zerrin from Turkey, assistant Waiter -- Lancy from India, and the first time we've ever met the head waiter -- Irfan, also from Turkey -- he was hilarious! Kept us laughing!

The only awful thing was our Mazatlan city tour (we booked through RCL). Awful! The tour guide was hard to understand, he took us shopping to his friends, basically. It wasn't a city tour. It was a shopping tour. We are not into shopping at all. There was hardly any city info given at all. And at the end there was 1 hour 20 minutes until the folkloric showtime. So it was basically all shopping. Not our type of thing. It would be different if they called this a "shopping tour" rather than "city tour". Plus the bus was from the 50's or 60's. We were glad we brought some bottled water with us. I feel for those who didn't. It was very very hot.

We ended up skipping the folkloric show as it looked too hot in there, and just took a pulmonia taxi (our highlight of our stay there) back to the ship to relax.

In P.V. we had also purchased city tours, but we took the loss and stayed on our ship. It was much more relaxing.

Also, in Mazatlan, it was extremely confusing as to where our tour was. There were signs for other tours, but ours there were no signs out there. Plus we couldn't see any RCL people out there to ask. Very very confusing.

If we go again, we'll probably just hire a taxi to take us around to see the sights.

As far as temperature-wise, we found it very humid during our stay. We also took the same cruise last Christmas, and found the temperature probably the same, but no way near the amount of humidity. I think next time I would go in December or January. But the humidity just about did us in!

But other than that tour, we LOVED the cruise!!!

I've sailed the vision, and sailed the mexican riviera, but not both together! :) I sailed Vision on the spring repo from LA to Vancouver, and found the crew to be extremely friendly and solicitous (particularly since I was sailing alone - several crewmembers who knew I was alone stopped frequently to chat when they saw me). The ship was in fine condition. I've sailed Carnival Pride to the riviera, and as long as you're not expecting a "genuine mexico" kind of experience, you'll have fun. The areas right near the port are heavily American-influenced and you have to make a point to "Get out there" to see more. Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan was great (when I bragged about my horseback ride to someone who took the RCCL ride, they were very jealous!), and in PV it was fun to wander around the older parts of the city, particularly since the main drag was so overrun with Americans. I don't remember much about Cabo except a mad dash to find the carved cribbage board I wanted - we didn't have much time there because of long waits for the tender.

This is a long way of saying that the ship is great, and the cruise is great if you go in with your eyes open.

We were on the Vision, Oct 04 and loved the ship, the stafff, most of the passengers and the ports. Thought we'd not enjoy Mazatlan, but, we did!

If in Mazatlan go to Taco-Maz for some REALLY GREAT food (located in the Historic District.)

I also noticed that on the signatures of several posters that Carnival was listed in the past cruise history, however, not in recent years - Is that because Carnival wasn't appealing to all of you ?

We recently took our first, and last, Carnival cruise - definitely not for us!

Just off the ship, cruised 10/16-23, bring a wind jacket or a warm jacket for the first day out of sea and the last day coming back to LA. Seas was slightly choppy, felt movement on the aft part of the ship. Weather was overcast and not perfect to sit out on the deck, cold and windy. The weather Tuesday thru Friday was hot and humid. Los Cabos & Mazatlan was very hot. We enjoyed our city tour of Puerta Vallarta, tour guide was excellent. After the city tours. shopping stop is on the agenda. For us the shopping stops were not enjoyable...agressive vendors, especially in Puerta Vallarta. Unless you want to see the city sights I would skip the city tours and do other excursions instead.

Vision of the Sea was easy to get around the ship, the crew was excellent & friendly. Enjoyed our cruise, because we booked 3 weeks before our sail day was only guranteed a balcony. Lo and behold, we got a Jr Suite which was really nice...now we are spoiled. Food quality was okay most nites...avoid ordering the grilled pork chops and grilled steak..need a chain saw to cut thru the meat. Portions were large. Room service and Windjammer Cafe menus are the same as the main dinning room with the exception of the alternative menu.

Monday and Friday evenings are formal nites, other days are casual dress...no hats or shorts in the dinning room.

The Captain holds a Nautical seminar on Saturday for those who are interesting in the workings of the ship. Quite interesting. The Quest Gameshow in the Some Enchated Evening Lounge was fun. Day 5 Thursday, Pool Side BBQ Buffet Nite, 11:30-12:30, Day 6 Friday, Gala Midnite Buffet, photos 11:15-midnight, Buffet opens at 12:15-1:00 am. Expect a long line to enjoy the midnite buffet.

By the way, expect time changes in Mazatlan and in PV, an hour forward each time. On the way back to LA the reverse.,.it was difficult for me to get use to.

Enjoyed our first cruise with RCCL, will certainly consider sailing on this cruise line again...perhaps to a milder and cooler climate next time.

We sailed Vision of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera in Feb. 2004. Vision is an older RCCL ship--dining room and buffet with no alternative dining. I prefer newer ships because they have so much more to offer. I liked this cruise, but wouldn't do it again.

We sailed the NCL Dawn (twin sister of NCL Star) a year ago and loved it. Now we can't wait to take a cruise on the Star next time we visit out son in LA.

Things I prefer about the NCL Star:

Freestyle Dining--ten different style restaurants to choose from each day: Formal Dining Room, Italian, Mexican, French, Japanese, American, English Pub, Steak House, Fast Food, etc) Eating whatever time I want is great too.

Movie Theater is terrific--with popcorn too.

Stadium Style Pool Area--blocks the wind and has more space.

Bar at top of Pool Deck--great views departing ports.

Ports of Call--Star travels to Alcapulco, which is much warmer. Vision doesn't go south of Puerto Vallarta. Star makes more stops than Vision.

I cruise on RCCL, Carnival, and Norwegian. There are great things about each cruiseline that I enjoy. However, I would not sail an older RCCL ship again unless it was a short cruise (3-4 days). There are just so many more things to enjoy on a newer ship.

"I also noticed that on the signatures of several posters that Carnival was listed in the past cruise history, however, not in recent years - Is that because Carnival wasn't appealing to all of you ?

We recently took our first, and last, Carnival cruise - definitely not for us!"__________________

After our first two cruises on Carnival, we tried Royal on Song of America to Mex riv. We were hooked. Just couldn't believe the differences.

Our last Carnival cruise on the Pride, was a family reunion. It was a great cruise, but I sure missed alot of the "little pampering" that I am used to with Royal and Celebrity. Also, Carnival has no loyalty program. If I am going to spend the $$$'s on a cruise, I like to know its adding to my C & A status or Captains Club status. No carnival isn't for everyone, including me, but while on the Pride I see there are alot of people that find it a perfect fit.

Sorry about the bad experience with the city tour in Maz. I Hope you let royals shore excursion desk know how you felt. Did you see the cathedral? and the cliff divers? If not royals excursion, I'm sure there is a city tour with a good guide out there. I loved Randi's horses too, but I said to family, "if I had never been to Mazatlan, I would hate to think this is it" (the yucky fish docks with the smell,etc.etc.)

We were on the Vision in May to Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta - we loved it!!! Did our own tour of Lover's Beach in Cabo - glass bottom boat toured some of the sights before putting us down to snorkle a bit. Seas were a little rough for snorkeling, but it was fun! Boat will come back for you at time you appoint. Not much shopping that we saw, but didn't go into town. In Mazatlan we took a pulmonia on our own and had a great guide! Told him we wanted a 2 hour tour of the highlights of his city, and he did just that. Saw cliff divers, beautiful cobblestone streets, and just a tiny bit of shopping - perfect! We then went to Stone Island by water taxi and ate at Victor's (it was delish - esp the garlic shrimp and the onion rings!!!). Puerto Vallarta was the best of the ports IMO - did zip-lining (you gotta try it!) thru a tour group recommended in ports board, shopped along the malecon and in town, saw beautiful cathedrals.

I just loved the ship and the Mexican Riviera ports, I would do it again in a heartbeat! The Vision wasn't nearly as big as the mega-ships, but you didn't get lost on them either. It is truly a wonderful ship, the food was great, our asst. waiter was a hoot (not much to say about our Head Waiter or cabin steward - they were just ok), but any day at sea is better than the best day at work!!!

Karen

We just returned from the Vision today and sailed her last week..........will be happy to answer any questions..............it was a great cruise and trip.

Highly recommend this ship and October was great.

Jim

We were on the same week as Kathy_bc and Gamalin. The first and last days at sea were chilly--nearly got frost bite at the pool! Cabo and Mazatlan were hot, hot, hot. PV was "just right" and so was the first sea day on the return!

In Cabo we walked to Cabo Wabo and had a waborita and looked around. In Mazatlan the ship's tour was full so we picked up a private one on the pier and it was very good. We had a van with about 8 -10 and no one wanted to shop so we spent the entire time tourring ($25.00+ tip). In Puerto Vallarta we took the ship's tour--on a big bus but it was not full. It was also very enjoyable. I could have done some serious shopping there if we had had more time--I did a pretty good bit of damage in the short time we were there! Our waiter & cabin steward were great...a couple of mis-cues from the Explorations people and Guest Services but overall a very nice cruise. Easiest muster and debark ever.... Very nice and personable captain (Capt. George). Missed the Concierge Lounge but Vision will probably get one soon. Hate the new liquor policy (enjoy a drink in the room while getting ready for dinner). Food was overall average. Beware the alternative steak may be the ranch steak in disguise.:eek:

Wow.... thank you all for the great replies. After reading everything.. I think I will probably stick with Royal Caribbean.. I do like the perks that come with platinum status.. and as my husband says.. why fix something when it's not broken?.... It is so odd though about the weather.. sea days cold and mexico hot?!.. We do want something different then the caribbean.. being just in Aruba for our first "land vacation" in awhile to celebrate our 25the wedding anniversary. We did enjoy but still love cruising!

When is the best time to book the mexican riviera? We are thinking of October because it will give us time to save.. and that is our anniversary month. Anyone else have suggestions when it's the best time to visit? When is the rainy season?

Again..thank you.. I will certainly take everyone's great information with me when I go!!

Karen we just got back like I said.............October 23/30..........the seas were never more than 3 ft and the ports were low to mid 90's.............only down side was the first sea day and last sea day were cold.........no question about it........

This morning it is 36 in Oklahoma City...........wish we were still on the ship.

Jim

I have done both the Vision and the Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera. Because I am a Diamond Member of Crown & Anchor, my first instinct would be to go with Royal Caribbean - those past guest perks are great and Carnival just can't compete in that area. But to be honest with you, I found the Pride more to my liking in just about all apsects of the cruise. Here's why:

• Larger, more comfortable staterooms - even inside rooms are biiger on the Pride - especially important if you are looking to put 3 or 4 in a room.
  • Three days at sea; if you have kids, you'll be happier on the Pride - more things for them to do. There is supervised kid's dinner on Pride every night for kids 3-10; no so on the Vision a few years ago.
  • This may or may not be an issue now, but in the past Pride remained in port LONGER than the Vision - till 10pm in Puerto Vallarta and ALL day in Cabo San Lucas. If this is important for you (it was for us) then check both ship's itinerary.
  • Food in Formal Dining Room a tad better on the Pride, though food is so subjective, take this with a grain of salt.
  • Ship atmospehere more casual on the Pride - this may either be a pro or con for you. Both cruises will be casual, but more so on Carnival.
  • Long Beach and the embarkation process for the Pride so much better than for the Vision at San Pedro (Long Beach has the Queen Mary and shops you can visit while waiting to embark).

Will you have a great cruise on Vision? Absolutely. But I still prefer the Pride for this voyage. To me, especially when traveling with kids, the Pride simply wins hands down. Others might feel differently.

Good luck!

I have done both the Vision and the Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera. Because I am a Diamond Member of Crown & Anchor, my first instinct would be to go with Royal Caribbean - those past guest perks are great and Carnival just can't compete in that area. But to be honest with you, I found the Pride more to my liking in just about all apsects of the cruise. Here's why:

• Larger, more comfortable staterooms - even inside rooms are biiger on the Pride - especially important if you are looking to put 3 or 4 in a room.
  • Three days at sea; if you have kids, you'll be happier on the Pride - more things for them to do. There is supervised kid's dinner on Pride every night for kids 3-10; no so on the Vision a few years ago.
  • This may or may not be an issue now, but in the past Pride remained in port LONGER than the Vision - till 10pm in Puerto Vallarta and ALL day in Cabo San Lucas. If this is important for you (it was for us) then check both ship's itinerary.
  • Food in Formal Dining Room a tad better on the Pride, though food is so subjective, take this with a grain of salt.
  • Ship atmospehere more casual on the Pride - this may either be a pro or con for you. Both cruises will be casual, but more so on Carnival.
  • Long Beach and the embarkation process for the Pride so much better than for the Vision at San Pedro (Long Beach has the Queen Mary and shops you can visit while waiting to embark).

Will you have a great cruise on Vision? Absolutely. But I still prefer the Pride for this voyage. To me, especially when traveling with kids, the Pride simply wins hands down. Others might feel differently.

Good luck!

Oh, and one other thing I meant to mention, but forgot: The Vision is a lot older than Pride. The Pride is in better shape, and is a lot bigger. The Pride also seemed cleaner, but it could be that it's just newer. I also liked the huge buffet and the food station variety aboard the Pride - not found on the Vision (it's buffet is smaller).

No ship is perfect, and personally, I prefer the color scheme of the Vision to that of the Pride. But it's the overall experience we had that I was comparing. No doubt, you will miss the Platinum perks - the coupon books, etc. But looking at the big picture, there were a few important differences in the Pride, and although I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on the Vision, I still feel the extra time in port, the larger staterooms and more activities (with a large kid's center and volleyball court) as well as the alternative restaurant and other new ship amenities really made astatement to me, a diehard Royal Caribbean fan.

Wow..Again, I love all these replies! Thank you for all the points about Pride vs. Vision.. Still doing my research.. will be going in October 2006 so I have some time. There will be no kids with us. My two daughters are both in college. For years, we took them. They both love cruises.

Another question.. how long of a ride to San Pedro Cruise Port from Los Angeles Airport? How much is cab ride? or shuttle? We usually always do our own transportation..

Thanks again everyone..

Karen

Wow..Again, I love all these replies! Thank you for all the points about Pride vs. Vision.. Still doing my research.. will be going in October 2006 so I have some time. There will be no kids with us. My two daughters are both in college. For years, we took them. They both love cruises.

Another question.. how long of a ride to San Pedro Cruise Port from Los Angeles Airport? How much is cab ride? or shuttle? We usually always do our own transportation..

Thanks again everyone..

Karen

Thanks again everyone..

Karen

Archived