Belize can be dangerous

Jimmy Geegitz

Belize listed as one of the most dangerous cruise ports in the world.

We weren't big fans of it when we stopped there. Here is the clip.

There have been recent complaints that Western tourists disembarking from cruises are offered drugs and then “set-up” for arrest and payment of a hefty fine, according to OSAC. Most crimes against tourists are thefts and result in no injuries. Travelers are advised to avoid areas of the south side of Belize City where numerous gangs are known to operate. Some excursions require a military patrol to view the Mayan ruins

There have been recent complaints that Western tourists disembarking from cruises are offered drugs and then “set-up” for arrest and payment of a hefty fine, according to OSAC. Most crimes against tourists are thefts and result in no injuries. Travelers are advised to avoid areas of the south side of Belize City where numerous gangs are known to operate. Some excursions require a military patrol to view the Mayan ruins

WHAT THE ????

So who's printing out this stuff? The State Department? Would love to see what they have to say on Detroit, or Chicago, or New York City, East LA, NOLA!

And get a grip on the drugs. If you're looking for drugs or not saying NO to offers, you're only asking for trouble no matter where you are!

Any uniformed person you see with a sub machine gun in any Central or South American country or Caribbean island is most likely a municipal policeman. There are Maya ruins in parts of the country where bandit gangs roam and also where Guatemalan military have been known to cross the border. But that's not a carte blanche on every ruin site as your quote seems to imply.

Belize can be dangerous? So can pretty much any place in the world, including many cities in the US. We go outside the fenced in area on each visit, never been approached to buy drugs and have found most of the folks out there to be quite friendly.

Yes, the area appears poor and many of the people are, but that doesn't make them dangerous.

There's a lot of poverty in Belize City so be careful - don't flash money, or haggle for a price and then not buy when they meet your price, be friendly and polite. A simple No thank you" goes a long way. I go to Belize twice a year to scuba dive and most are wonderful, friendly people. Use street smarts in Belize City and don't travel alone. You'll be fine.

Some just like to be alarmists. If the only thing I knew about the city I live in was what I see on the news every morning, I would never leave my house. But if you aren't trying to buy drugs or wandering through a part of town you shouldn't be in at 2:00 AM, you shouldn't have any issues. The same thing goes in most cruise ports - use common sense, don't wander down side streets away from tourist areas, don't flash cash, jewelry, electronics, etc. I am not naive enough to think crime doesn't exist, but I'm not going to stop traveling because of the small chance something might happen.

Sent from my LGL31L using Forums mobile app

Geegitz my friend. How the heck are you? I got so sick and never got to see y'all again after our last cruise. I was taken off the ship and driven back home to be admitted into the hospital I was septis had an infection and had no ideal. I still wear the shirt you gave me cruising with you.:D We are fixing to take our first cruise since that 2010 one that I got sick on. Heading out to the Panama Canal. Our first 12 day cruise. My daughter will be with us for this one. Looks like you been cruising away. Have fun and take care my friend. Belize is one of my least favorite ports. We will be going there on this one but we are staying on the ship. Might take the tender in just to hang out right there in the little shops or bar. Take care. And have fun!:D

Edited by lillulu

WHAT THE ????

So who's printing out this stuff? The State Department? Would love to see what they have to say on Detroit, or Chicago, or New York City, East LA, NOLA!

And get a grip on the drugs. If you're looking for drugs or not saying NO to offers, you're only asking for trouble no matter where you are!

Any uniformed person you see with a sub machine gun in any Central or South American country or Caribbean island is most likely a municipal policeman. There are Maya ruins in parts of the country where bandit gangs roam and also where Guatemalan military have been known to cross the border. But that's not a carte blanche on every ruin site as your quote seems to imply.

Man all he did was point out that Belize is not considered the safest place to go and things that are being reported. In your last sentence you say the OP implies that every ruin site needs armed guards. His post says "some ruins sites", where does that imply all. Recently this site has more and more become a place to attack someone who posts something you don't agree with. All that is going to do is to discourage people from posting here on anything even those that are helpful. If you have a different opinion just state that opinion. Also his mentioning the armed guards thing can very much help someone who in advance never realized it is common practice and thinks when they arrive at their excursion something is wrong and decides not to go, thus losing money and missing a good trip. Come on lighten up.

Armed guards? In Belize? Never saw one.

People selling drugs? Never saw any in Belize.

Scary people? Everyone we met in Belize was wonderful, friendly, and spoke English as it is the country's native language.

Felt unsafe? Not for a single second.

Armed guards? In Belize? Never saw one.

People selling drugs? Never saw any in Belize.

Scary people? Everyone we met in Belize was wonderful, friendly, and spoke English as it is the country's native language.

Felt unsafe? Not for a single second.

Both times I have been to Belize we had armed guards board our bus. :eek: The first time they got on right at the port with us. Of course that was scary when you are not expecting that. The second time we were stopped down the road and armed men got on looked around the bus and got back off. So, there will be NO third time for me. I will either stay on the ship or take the tender to the port mall and hang out at a bar, restaurant or shop just to stretch my legs off the ship. To each their own is my motto! :D