12 night Great Barrier Reef on Solstice

Erikamac

Hi there.

I was lucky enough to do this itinerary on the Solstice back in 2013. It is still one of my most favourite cruises to date.

Must do: GBR! so beautiful and such a treat to see it firsthand, even as an Australian.

Going to the Daintree was great as well, even if to stay inside cool weather for a little while.

I did also enjoy Cairns as well as Port Douglas.

Cannot fault the ship and its facilities. it really was the perfect cruise!

Almost booked the same cruise for my honeymoon, but doing the one before going to south pacific/Fiji

I'm typing this from Port Douglas. Look long and hard before booking the cruise. We originally booked on Solstice before switching to a land trip. There is so much to do that it would be hard with just one day in each port and the months that she sails here is not ideal. We have 7 days in Port Douglas and we're just loving it. Doing the reef tomorrow. Today we did Mossman gorge.

If you really do want go cruise, the ports would be awesome.

How your holiday will unfold will determine upon what ports you visit and the timings of the visit to each port. This is because the ports on the Northern Queensland Coast are tender ports. I have requested this info already and your assistance will help. YOur timing will determine whether one can take advantage of private tours or the necessity to use ships excursions.

I'm typing this from Port Douglas. Look long and hard before booking the cruise. We originally booked on Solstice before switching to a land trip. There is so much to do that it would be hard with just one day in each port and the months that she sails here is not ideal. We have 7 days in Port Douglas and we're just loving it. Doing the reef tomorrow. Today we did Mossman gorge.

If you really do want go cruise, the ports would be awesome.

What are the ideal times to travel there?

What are the ideal times to travel there?

November to March can be oppressively hot and humid and you might end up dodging cyclones. You also get a lot of heavy rain but it usually doesn't last all day.

On the other hand this year we cancelled a March cruise to Cairns and switched to a land-tour in July. The week we were meant to go had beautiful weather and it ended up raining all week in July.

Spring is the best time in my experience. I'd go for September/October - lowest rainfall and pleasant temperatures.

From the research we did September/October was optimal for Queensland. We did the reef today...SO AWESOME!!

Water warm enough for snorkeling or do you need a wet suit? I am leaning towards a land based for GBR and then a cruise from Sydney to New Zealand/////

Am not sure of port timings for your cruise but we visit Cairns on Solstice early November and as this is a tender port she is not there long enough to make the best opportunity of visiting the GBR.

There was two ships tours to the reef offered although they cancelled one leaving only a mass market option. It's about 30 mins tender time and another 30 minutes from Yorkeys Knob (where tenders dock) to the main Cairns Marina where most day tours to the reef leave from which makes it all but impossible to catch a general tour. It's also a couple of hours out to the reef itself which even further limits your time to enjoy the experience.

I don't know why they can't extend a few more hours, as our next port of call is only a few hundred miles down the coast (Airlie Beach). It's disappointing that choices are so limited and even the poor selection of ships tours offered to visit this natural wonder of the world.

These itineraries attract a lot of overseas guests with the goal of visiting the reef but don't think Celebrity are offering the best options in this regard.

If you're really keen on visiting the reef and not compromise the experience around the ships time in port, then I'd suggest visiting Cairns separately as a land tour where you could justify a full day towards the experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Water warm enough for snorkeling or do you need a wet suit? I am leaning towards a land based for GBR and then a cruise from Sydney to New Zealand/////

I think that would be a great option. We had wet suits but a few people opted not to use them and seemed fine. We went out with Wavelength.