Doing a Back2Back and switching cabins

Yankeegirl86

I am doing back2back cruises on the Pacific Princess. I can get the cabin I want on one cruise but not the other. Is it a real hassle to change cabins? I'm currently booked where we don't have to move but am really tempted to have the cabin I want for at least half of the cruise. Am I crazy?

While it is a small hassle to change cabins, it is really quite easy.

You will need to pack everything that is not on a hanger, and the crew will move your luggage and hanging clothing over to your new cabin.

You do not need to be the one to move your luggage, speak to you steward and they will help you through the transition on change over day.

No you are not crazy to have a cabin you really want for at least one portion of your cruise.

No, you are not crazy. Yes, it is a little hassle to move.

You'll get full instructions a day or so before the changeover. Most of the time, an additional crew member will help with the move rather than the steward (who has rooms to clean. You don't need to pack hanging clothes--they will move those on hangers. You will either pack everything else or leave things in the drawers depending on your instructions (sometimes they just swap out the drawers, Take all your meds, the stuff from your safe, and any other valuables. They'll do the rest of the work for you.

We've done B2Bs both ways. Not moving is better, but if moving gets the cabin you want, go for it.

We did a B2B on the Pacific Princess and had 3 different cabins (bed bugs in #2). So we moved a lot.

All we had to do was put our small, loose things in our suitcases and come back to a different cabin. The stewards took care of everything.

On the first leg, we introduced ourselves to steward #2 and let him know we'd be joining him later. Not necessary, but we felt it might make the transition a little easier.

BTW: you are gonna LOVE that ship!!!

Edited by JF - retired RRT

I am doing back2back cruises on the Pacific Princess. I can get the cabin I want on one cruise but not the other. Is it a real hassle to change cabins? I'm currently booked where we don't have to move but am really tempted to have the cabin I want for at least half of the cruise. Am I crazy?

They will help you.

i'm about 50/50 getting help moving cabins on a b2b. half the time, i have to pack up everything and move myself.

i too, went to the new steward to let him know i was coming. he was gracious enough to ensure my cabin was ready early so i could drop my stuff and do an excursion.

its wonderful when they bring the trolley and move it for you but don't expect that is how it will work.

i would get the cabin i really want. make sure your bookings are linked. i've been upgraded to the same cabin for both legs of a b2b a few times.

It takes a little time, but isn't awful. If you are able, you can move yourself - we always do. As said above we meet our new room steward early and even walk by occasionally during the first cruise just to say "hi". Before turn around-day, we ask what time we should expect the new cabin to be ready and let the steward know we will be moving ourselves. From home we pack all hanging items on thin hangers, double hanging many items. The day of the main event, we again double hang whatever we can. Everything else in drawers or in the bathroom gets packed in the suitcases which doesn't take much time at all. Sometimes we are able to get a rolling rack, sometimes not. If we have a rack, everything can be moved at one time. If no rack is available, then we have to make several trips to the new cabin, but, even then, it's not terrible. We take down the hanging clothes, make the trip to the new room, hang them up, repeat. Items in the luggage go back in the same place in the new cabin. Pretty quick and easy.

One thing we always do is stay on board that day. We enjoy the quiet ship plus we don't feel rushed to get back on board and unpack.

In some ports you are required to go out as a group to clear customs, but the ship is good at giving very explicit directions on where to go and what to do.

Mary Jane

Get the cabin you want. Changing cabins will not be a big deal as you will get assistance.

We moved decks and cabins and it was a breeze. Definitely go and see your new steward a couple of times before you move. He really thanked us and said he would do our cabin as quickly as possible. Sometimes it depends on what time the previous occupants decide to vacate. I know it says by 8 a.m but not everyone adheres

We left everything in our old cabin, went to breakfast and things had been moved during this time.

The only time we had to move cabins for second leg was a disaster.

Met the new room steward night before, my steward was on board for move. Now it was turn around day and things really got screwed up.

Pursers desk said they were sending someone with a dolly to move us (not our room stewards). So I didn't want to leave our stuff unattended until that happened. By 9:00am(I let our room steward prep the room for next occupants) called front desk and said someone on the way. We waited on the balcony.By 9:30 nothing, went downstairs to new room,room steward couldn't make up room because occupants still in there with Do Not disturb and he said they were sleeping.They were first time Princess cruisers but I guess they couldn't read either. At 10:30, someone came with a cart and moved us. As soon as stuff in room, we had to leave the ship right away because it had to clear.

When we originally booked had the same balcony cabin for both cruises. Well, (and I didn't complain) we got upgraded to mini suite for first leg , and it was a 15 day Hawaii). So was extremely happy. Now if this happens again ,will turn down the upgrade. Don't want to ever change cabins. Turnaround day was a big waste for us. Now this was LA so no tours planned but if it were Europe I would have been really upset.

When we had to move cabins, the steward came with a trolley and provided us with lots of the blue Princess totes. I emptied our loose things, cosmetics, our liquor set up, etc. into the blue totes. I also emptied the drawers into the totes. The steward took everything that was on hangers and our empty luggage. Having those totes made a big difference. If you're not provided with them, ask the steward for them.

When we had to move cabins, the steward came with a trolley and provided us with lots of the blue Princess totes. I emptied our loose things, cosmetics, our liquor set up, etc. into the blue totes. I also emptied the drawers into the totes. The steward took everything that was on hangers and our empty luggage. Having those totes made a big difference. If you're not provided with them, ask the steward for them.

This may be a silly question, but why was placing things in totes easier than placing them back in the suitcases?

The only time we had to move cabins for second leg was a disaster.

Met the new room steward night before, my steward was on board for move. Now it was turn around day and things really got screwed up.

Pursers desk said they were sending someone with a dolly to move us (not our room stewards). So I didn't want to leave our stuff unattended until that happened. By 9:00am(I let our room steward prep the room for next occupants) called front desk and said someone on the way. We waited on the balcony.By 9:30 nothing, went downstairs to new room,room steward couldn't make up room because occupants still in there with Do Not disturb and he said they were sleeping.They were first time Princess cruisers but I guess they couldn't read either. At 10:30, someone came with a cart and moved us. As soon as stuff in room, we had to leave the ship right away because it had to clear.

When we originally booked had the same balcony cabin for both cruises. Well, (and I didn't complain) we got upgraded to mini suite for first leg , and it was a 15 day Hawaii). So was extremely happy. Now if this happens again ,will turn down the upgrade. Don't want to ever change cabins. Turnaround day was a big waste for us. Now this was LA so no tours planned but if it were Europe I would have been really upset.

They obviously missed the point of being out of the cabin by 8:00. Don't understand why YOU couldn't pound on the door if the steward was not permitted to do so. It's time, guys. Here's the bad news. Your cruise is OVER!

On another line we had an 8:15 assigned breakfast on the last day and instructions that said we had to vacate our cabin when we went to breakfast. At 8:02 we had a knock on the door!

Edited by moki'smommy

This may be a silly question' date=' but why was placing things in totes easier than placing them back in the suitcases?[/quote']

I just threw like things in the totes and filled them about 1/2 way, so it was easier putting things away in the new cabin. Having to open a piece of luggage and re-pack things, would have been way harder.