Chinese Visas

kenjo

Has anyone used the Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection 144 hour Visa exemption Transit Policy that came into effect in January 2016. Getting information from the Chinese visa office in London is proving difficult.

I am flying to Shanghai, staying in Shanghai for 48 hours then boarding a cruise ship at Shanghai International Cruise Terminal.

Has anyone used the Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection 144 hour Visa exemption Transit Policy that came into effect in January 2016. Getting information from the Chinese visa office in London is proving difficult.

I am flying to Shanghai, staying in Shanghai for 48 hours then boarding a cruise ship at Shanghai International Cruise Terminal.

It all depends where you're sailing to next. If it's another port in China then you'll need a visa, if it's a third country then you should be fine.(Hong Kong & Taiwan are classed as different countries)

Edited by newport dave

Have used the visa-free transit at Shanghai, but it was only for air travel connections. I do not believe that it would work for air to sea, but you would need to check the Chinese government website for full details. I would NOT rely on information on a webboard saying "sure, no problem". With governmental issues, go to the source. And try the USA embassy website locations of the Chinese government.

Have used the visa-free transit at Shanghai, but it was only for air travel connections. I do not believe that it would work for air to sea, but you would need to check the Chinese government website for full details. I would NOT rely on information on a webboard saying "sure, no problem". With governmental issues, go to the source. And try the USA embassy website locations of the Chinese government.

The new 144hr transit includes sea arrivals and departures now. The old 72hr transit was just for air arrivals. There are extensive discussions about this on this forum as well as the Celebrity one.