Half Moon Cay-Tendering-Mobility scooters

bunchesofun

I know the basic set up. I have heard that if the big tenders are used, with the ramps, that it "MAY" be possible to take a mobility scooter on board. At what point, and how do you find out, IF in fact that is possible? Do they make an announcement? Do you call someone? Just how do you find out without going all the way to the tender and being turned away?

If you are the only ship there, they will use the big tenders that are based there. And I have never known Carnival to schedule more than one ship there per day. Holland America, yes. But not Carnival. If the wind and swells are not too much, you will be able to roll on. EM

I know the basic set up. I have heard that if the big tenders are used, with the ramps, that it "MAY" be possible to take a mobility scooter on board. At what point, and how do you find out, IF in fact that is possible? Do they make an announcement? Do you call someone? Just how do you find out without going all the way to the tender and being turned away?

There is no announcement made as to whether or not the tender being used that day has roll-on access. You'll have to go speak to security at the gangway. Important to note that even if a tender with roll-on capability is being used it at the total descretion of the Captain as to whether or not passengers using wheelchairs and mobility scooters will be allowed to board.

If you look out your window or off your balcony and see this, you have the roll on tenders:

849362362207_0_ALB.jpg

239362362207_0_ALB.jpg

You roll on the upper level, go to the rear and down the ramp to the lower level, and roll off the front. EM

Thank you EM. That was very helpful as I now am using a scooter.

That is very helpful. We will be on a Carnival ship so sounds like it WILL be the roll on/off tender. Now if the weather will cooperate! This info really helps. When we booked there was going to be one of our party on a scooter, but now my husband is going to need one as well. We were going to bring a collapsible wheelchair to assist the one person get to the cabana, but with the addition of my husband needing a scooter as well we had to really think about how we are going to get everyone ashore. I suppose if they say no scooters we can take one ashore with the wheelchair (they can both walk somewhat and do a few stairs) then go back for the other. Well, that's the thought, anyway!

Special needs have gotten back with me to say that they are checking with the ship itself to see if it is possible.

Just know that whether or not scooters and or wheelchairs can board the tender depends on the actual day you're there, regardless of what the Special Needs Department tells you now.

Just know that whether or not scooters and or wheelchairs can board the tender depends on the actual day you're there, regardless of what the Special Needs Department tells you now.

Yes we certainly understand this as I know this is a port that frequently gets skipped because the water is too choppy to tender anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Pride twice this summer with stops at HMC. Both times it was on the tendering information sheet that mobility scooters were not allowed; you had to be using a collapsible wheelchair and you have to be able to take a couple of steps.

My mother is a full time wheelchair user and is not comfortable taking steps without support so she did not attempt to tender.

We were on the Pride twice this summer with stops at HMC. Both times it was on the tendering information sheet that mobility scooters were not allowed; you had to be using a collapsible wheelchair and you have to be able to take a couple of steps.

My mother is a full time wheelchair user and is not comfortable taking steps without support so she did not attempt to tender.

When did you get this tendering information?

Thanks for letting me know. I've never been on a cruise when they tendered before so didn't know they printed it out the night before. We rarely hear the announcements. If we do we go to the door and listen, but don't generally hear them talking outside the cabin.