Help with Adult and Tween...Dining, Entertainment

Hello.....New here, so don't flame me :)

We just booked the Escape for end of March. We are two adults with our 12 yr old, and traveling with another couple without kids. The other couple has the drink and dining package...we have the drink and 3rd person "free"package.

So... we plan on buying a 3 meal plan, so we can go to a few ala carts with our friends. Our tween, is sometimes picky and other times adventurous. At the ala carts aka Teppanaki is there a kids menu specific for that restaurant? or do all the dining venues share the same boring kids menu?

In the evening, we do like to partake in the festivities. Our daughter likes to hang with us and we usually are all entertained. Does Howl at the Moon have age restrictions? Or the magician/comedian? Also, finally do these require an advance reservation...or is it first come first served.

Thanks all! Love the reviews I have been reading!

Hello.....New here, so don't flame me :)

We just booked the Escape for end of March. We are two adults with our 12 yr old, and traveling with another couple without kids. The other couple has the drink and dining package...we have the drink and 3rd person "free"package.

So... we plan on buying a 3 meal plan, so we can go to a few ala carts with our friends. Our tween, is sometimes picky and other times adventurous. At the ala carts aka Teppanaki is there a kids menu specific for that restaurant? or do all the dining venues share the same boring kids menu?

In the evening, we do like to partake in the festivities. Our daughter likes to hang with us and we usually are all entertained. Does Howl at the Moon have age restrictions? Or the magician/comedian? Also, finally do these require an advance reservation...or is it first come first served.

Thanks all! Love the reviews I have been reading!

I can answer some but not all of your questions. But, first things first, I'm loving your username. LOL.

The specialties all have the same boring kids menu that the MDRs have. I thought Teppenyaki was a flat charge, but I've never eaten there without the dining package so haven't really paid attention. When I've been to Teppenyaki, there didn't appear to be a serving size--the chef just kept giving people more and more food if they showed even the slightest interest in having more.

I don't believe you can make reservations for Howl at the Moon, etc. Reservations are a good idea for whatever the main/big show is on your ship as well as Cirque and Burn the Floor if they have those. Someone with more experience with this will come along and correct me if I'm wrong. The Epic is the only mega ship I've sailed on and that's my frame of reference...

Have a great cruise!

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

No reservations are required for Howl at the Moon. The show goes on for a few hours (over three hours from memory) and people walk in and out during the evening.

Our 11 year old son can be quite picky when it comes to food, and we wouldn't take him to the likes of Cagneys or Le Bistro at the moment, but he really likes Teppenyaki and Moderno. They seem to be fairly popular with kids. He also likes La Cucina, but not as much as the others.

As for entertainment, I didn't go to too much on the Escape, as very little really appealed. Howl is quite a good option (early in the show) and I think the earlier comedian shows are aimed at families. Most of the other theatre entertainment on the Escape is not really aimed at kids, from what I can tell.

I can answer some but not all of your questions. But, first things first, I'm loving your username. LOL.

The specialties all have the same boring kids menu that the MDRs have. I thought Teppenyaki was a flat charge, but I've never eaten there without the dining package so haven't really paid attention. When I've been to Teppenyaki, there didn't appear to be a serving size--the chef just kept giving people more and more food if they showed even the slightest interest in having more.

I don't believe you can make reservations for Howl at the Moon, etc. Reservations are a good idea for whatever the main/big show is on your ship as well as Cirque and Burn the Floor if they have those. Someone with more experience with this will come along and correct me if I'm wrong. The Epic is the only mega ship I've sailed on and that's my frame of reference...

Have a great cruise!

Thanks so much.....trying to diet before I gain weight on my cruise...lol

Well, thats a shame about the sameboring menus. Dont they know all kids dont like pizza & chicken nuggets? lol.

No reservations are required for Howl at the Moon. The show goes on for a few hours (over three hours from memory) and people walk in and out during the evening.

Our 11 year old son can be quite picky when it comes to food, and we wouldn't take him to the likes of Cagneys or Le Bistro at the moment, but he really likes Teppenyaki and Moderno. They seem to be fairly popular with kids. He also likes La Cucina, but not as much as the others.

As for entertainment, I didn't go to too much on the Escape, as very little really appealed. Howl is quite a good option (early in the show) and I think the earlier comedian shows are aimed at families. Most of the other theatre entertainment on the Escape is not really aimed at kids, from what I can tell.

Thank you..this is helpful. My child is picky....but usually dislikes the typical kids menu fare of pizza, nuggets and spaghetti. She prefers more options.

I know she would love Howl...we will just go early.

Thanks so much.....trying to diet before I gain weight on my cruise...lol

Well, thats a shame about the sameboring menus. Dont they know all kids dont like pizza & chicken nuggets? lol.

Seriously. At eight years old, my daughter was eating escargot and whatever else I suggested she try! We took her to specialties and she never looked at the kids' menu. I didn't mind at all paying for her to eat in the upcharge restaurant. She's 21 now and can be quite adventurous. :D

Highly recommend Moderno as it has a huge salad bar and many choices of meats... your tween will like something!

For Teppanyaki, does she eat any asian food? Lo Mein noodles? Vegetables? How about Chicken or Beef? THey are all prepared simply on the grill with soy sauce and salt/light seasoning. Most kids like the noodles.

• 5 months later...
Thank you..this is helpful.

My child is picky....but usually dislikes the typical kids menu fare of pizza, nuggets and spaghetti.

She prefers more options.

I know she would love Howl...we will just go early.

Memories...

When my kids got picky, and eventually got hungry,

was when they found Chinese food very tasty.:cool:

Edited by $hip$hape