Big, big mistake in choosing Allure of the Seas

umograd83

We went on our first Royal Caribbean cruise last week on the Allure of the Seas. It was a big mistake choosing that ship! We are so spoiled now. I don't think we would like any ship other than an Oasis class ship. I hope I am wrong because we are officially Royal Caribbean fans. We had become bored with Carnival, so we decided to try Royal Caribbean. We tried Norwegian last year (and liked NCL as well). No more Carnival cruises for us for now.

I will be writing a review this coming weekend (or sooner if I muster up some strength - very tired still from the delayed flight home due to bad weather in Atlanta).

Imagine us with our first cruise ever going on the Allure... we will be totally spoiled :(

My first cruise ever was on the Allure and I absolutely LOVED that ship!! We were so impressed with everything to do, see, eat, etc. We have since been on Anthem and would venture to say this would be the only ship class to give the Oasis class competition!

We actually liked Anthem better as we felt like there were even more activities to entertain ourselves with! So much so, that we switched our Harmony cruise to another Anthem cruise in January 2017! So if you did want to try out another class, we would highly recommend Anthem!:D:D

We went on our first Royal Caribbean cruise last week on the Allure of the Seas. It was a big mistake choosing that ship! We are so spoiled now. I don't think we would like any ship other than an Oasis class ship. I hope I am wrong because we are officially Royal Caribbean fans. We had become bored with Carnival, so we decided to try Royal Caribbean. We tried Norwegian last year (and liked NCL as well). No more Carnival cruises for us for now.

I will be writing a review this coming weekend (or sooner if I muster up some strength - very tired still from the delayed flight home due to bad weather in Atlanta).

Nice catchy title and so glad you enjoyed your cruise

loved, loved, LOVED the ALLURE! And, the Oasis class definitely spoils you. While we have really liked every cruise we've been on, we prefer the bigger ships (I'm a little ADHD, and LOVE all of the diversity on these ships). Can hardly wait to experience Harmony!!! Also, I'm eagerly awaiting the Oasis IV...

We just did Oasis and now have a Carnival (Glory) cruise coming up. I don't expect the ship to compare, but we'll have a good time anyways. My wife, her first and only cruise was Oasis, so I'm curious how she will feel with the smaller Carnival ship.

We'd done the Radiance class, the Voyager class, the Freedom class, and the Oasis class (Oasis & Allure done, with Harmony coming up next year).

Our favorite is the Oasis ships...for a variety of reasons...just a few of them:

A) Stability and comfort for sleeping

B) Numerous things do to onboard

C) The level of entertainment

D) The variety of dining choices

E) Destinations (we've done Western Mediterranean and Caribbean)

Note: All our cruises on all size ships were great. Some lend themselves better for certain destinations (Radiance was ideal for Alaska for example).

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

We just did Oasis and now have a Carnival (Glory) cruise coming up. I don't expect the ship to compare, but we'll have a good time anyways. My wife, her first and only cruise was Oasis, so I'm curious how she will feel with the smaller Carnival ship.

You are right. It cannot compare. Cannot even come close..BUT...the Glory is a wonderful ship. As long as you go in with the attitude that it is different, you will be fine. :)

Like everyone else in this thread I came here to defend Allure as one of my favorite cruises, if not my favorite. Glad I didn't have to, and even more glad you had fun.

How did you like Mamma Mia? I saw it on Quantum and Allure (and had seen it in London as well) and I still love that show.

Haha, this is kind of what happened to me. Welcome to the addiction [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My first cruise ever was on the Allure and I absolutely LOVED that ship!! We were so impressed with everything to do, see, eat, etc. We have since been on Anthem and would venture to say this would be the only ship class to give the Oasis class competition!

We actually liked Anthem better as we felt like there were even more activities to entertain ourselves with! So much so, that we switched our Harmony cruise to another Anthem cruise in January 2017! So if you did want to try out another class, we would highly recommend Anthem!:D:D

Our first ever cruise was on Norwegian epic and we loved it. Then last year we had 12 days on anthem of the seas - lost for words. We just LOVED that ship. This year we were on ovations maiden voyage and then on harmony in July. Harmony was spectacular - we had an amazing time but for us anthem and ovation just have the edge - you know when you just feel right at home?!

Fingers and toes crossed for quantum 4 to be based in the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We went on the Oasis last September and absolutely loved it and felt the same way you did about the Allure. In April we went on The Vision of the Seas and I thought I would be really disappointed. I was wrong, I loved the intimacy of a smaller ship and had a great time. Don't worry, you will find another ship to love just as much.

We have been on one RCCL cruise and that was ten years ago. Celebrity is our line of choice. In particular their M class. 95,000 tons, 1950 passengers. Their S class at 2800 passengers is good as well.

Can't imagine daily activities: elevators, lounges, buffet, pool, spa, MDR with what 6,000 passengers? Aren't there mind numbing crowds, lines, pushing, just masses of people?

Obviously it's managed 'cause their ships are full. To each their own.

We have been on one RCCL cruise and that was ten years ago. Celebrity is our line of choice. In particular their M class. 95,000 tons, 1950 passengers. Their S class at 2800 passengers is good as well.

Can't imagine daily activities: elevators, lounges, buffet, pool, spa, MDR with what 6,000 passengers? Aren't there mind numbing crowds, lines, pushing, just masses of people?

We actually experienced less crowds, no lines and plenty of pool seating and hot tub space. It's also a 229,000 ton ship. There is so much to do the only time there is a crowd is the Dreamworks parade. The longest line we ever had was waiting 7 minutes for photos with the captain. Otherwise walked right up to bars, maybe two people in front of us in line at Park Cafe for lunch. We never even saw our mdr table mates. Lines for shows are easy because you book ahead. Room service took ten minutes. Never waited longer than 2 minutes for an elevator. This is photo from a sea day with 6,200 on board IMG_1474494220.421612.jpg.25e5d356fab2deb5e23121b648c86e2f.jpg

The zip line and wave rider did have lines, but that's to be expected whether it's 2,000 or 6,300

IMG_1474494149.870281.jpg.b84a3565a427cd815742b23a2ee20ee2.jpg

Allure DESTROYED all other ships for us. Now everything is "Oh but on Allure" this and "On Allure" that.

Even our cruise this weekend is on the Harmony, another Oasis class ship - and one with Capt Johnny, who was our Capt on the Allure 2 years ago.

Once you go Oasis Class - if you love the mega ships, nothing even comes close.

Addicted.

We actually experienced less crowds, no lines and plenty of pool seating and hot tub space. It's also a 229,000 ton ship. There is so much to do the only time there is a crowd is the Dreamworks parade. The longest line we ever had was waiting 7 minutes for photos with the captain. Otherwise walked right up to bars, maybe two people in front of us in line at Park Cafe for lunch. We never even saw our mdr table mates. Lines for shows are easy because you book ahead. Room service took ten minutes. Never waited longer than 2 minutes for an elevator. This is photo from a sea day with 6,200 on board [ATTACH]394757[/ATTACH][ATTACH]394758[/ATTACH]

The zip line and wave rider did have lines, but that's to be expected whether it's 2,000 or 6,300

Wow! Where is everyone? Pools on X are packed on sea days. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! Where is everyone? Pools on X are packed on sea days. Thanks for sharing.

Ice skating, wave rider, rock climbing, there were shows, activities, the adult solarium area, other pool etc. that's the thing there's just so much that you rarely feel there's 1000 people in let alone 6,200

We also just came back on Sunday on the Allure. The one thing that stands out particularly is that our friend is gluten free and Royal was very accommodating for her. The only glitch we had was the Prohibition Party. It was a major disappointment. We had done the party on the Oasis and loved it. This was very unorganized, almost as if the hosts were new to the event. There was no value in it at all. As we were exiting we told them our disappointment. The next day the food and beverage manager tracked us down and offered us a refund. He too, was very apologetic and asked us about our experience to better understand. He truly cared about our opinion of the event. Our stateroom attendant was fantastic as well as the dining room staff. Usually the head waiter stops by once to check on you during the week. He came by every evening to see how we were doing and to also make sure our friends gluten free meals were taken care of. Kenmar was our waiter in Chops, he is fantastic and our chef in Isumi at the hibatchi was very entertaining. The first night the diamond lounge was over packed, but the crowds thinned down after that. I think many people took advantage of having their drinks at one of the bars instead.

Imagine us with our first cruise ever going on the Allure... we will be totally spoiled :(

I know!!!! I feel the same way, I almost feel like coming back to Royal after NCL, I won't even go back to NCL because entertainment and layouts of royals ships are just that good

Ice skating, wave rider, rock climbing, there were shows, activities, the adult solarium area, other pool etc. that's the thing there's just so much that you rarely feel there's 1000 people in let alone 6,200

I agree, on Oasis cruise we did beginning of Sept, I routinely saw chairs BY the pool at 11am-2pm available, and many in shade, etc. This is something you never see on other cruiselines haha

My mother and I have said that doing Allure as our first cruise was a mistake, because we won't feel as good on smaller or lower rated ships. Sometimes I feel "post-cruise depression" when I see or hear the Allure of the Seas.

We actually experienced less crowds, no lines and plenty of pool seating and hot tub space. It's also a 229,000 ton ship. There is so much to do the only time there is a crowd is the Dreamworks parade. The longest line we ever had was waiting 7 minutes for photos with the captain. Otherwise walked right up to bars, maybe two people in front of us in line at Park Cafe for lunch. We never even saw our mdr table mates. Lines for shows are easy because you book ahead. Room service took ten minutes. Never waited longer than 2 minutes for an elevator. This is photo from a sea day with 6,200 on board [ATTACH]394757[/ATTACH][ATTACH]394758[/ATTACH]

We've been on Allure, Brilliance, and now the Anthem and I would agree that the crowds were not worse on the bigger ships. I think they are designed to attempt to avoid crowding. For the most part, we could just walk up to any bar or venues such as Promenade Cafe, Cafe 270, Sorrentos, La Patissiere, Michael's Pub, or the Windjammer with minimal to no waiting. Of course, at the peak times the Windjammer would obviously be busy but it still never took us more than 2 or 3 minutes to get through the hand washing station, if that!

As with every ship, there were crowded times such as directly after shows letting out, around the pool for the Belly Flop comp, lines for Bumper Cars and Flow rider. However, this isn't unique to the larger ships, I think it is just due to the popularity of the activities.

Oooooh, and of course the craziest crowds were for the $10 sales, Tshirt sales, watch sales, etc!!!